Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Traveler University (FTU) Events [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx
If cash transactions were not prohibited on CC we could find out here on FT. But it seems to me that the fee should be comparable to the associated expenses for non-local attendees: roughly $400 for the hotel and either $100 for parking or about $500 for travel. Would I pay $1000 for AFTU? Nope. Would 100 people pay that? I think so.

I suggested on VFTW that the organizers attempt to cut the expensive hotel out of the equation next time. Go cheap all the way and charge more for the event itself. Everybody wins except the local attendees, who were getting too good a deal before.
I made a comment there that the price was too LOW, linking to my post above.

Apparently it did not survive moderation...guess I need to go change the wiki in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...-comments.html (and yes, this post is designed, in part, to shame Gary into un-moderating my post ). ETA: YAY! He unmoderated it 5 or 10 minutes after I posted this. My comment is now directly above yours.

Thanks, Gary!!!

Last edited by kokonutz; Sep 16, 2014 at 1:05 pm
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:57 pm

Hm. Apparently Tommy held back some tickets for bloggers to sell (not give away, sell) to their readers:

http://hackmytrip.com/2014/09/ftu-ad...ack+My+Trip%29

Enter now for the chance to pay $250 to go to FTUA3!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:36 pm

The ticket sale was open at 5 AM PT. All sold out at 8 AM
I think all bloggers and their buddies have advance information about this. I am wondering how to get a ticket Any one sells tickets in the black market?.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sam2014
I think all bloggers and their buddies have advance information about this. I am wondering how to get a ticket Any one sells tickets in the black market?.
Black market? For FTU tickets? Now I've heard it all!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: SPG HHonors
Does anyone have the link to the booking link for the "group rate" for the Marriott Chicago O'Hare? I never received it for next week's conference. I have e-mailed the event organizers, but I haven't heard anything back.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sam2014
It's a bit like a LH F award: impossible to find until a week or so out.

Plenty of tickets available today for the Chicago FTUA in 10 days: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...kets-sale.html

And, Gary, please don't call me a troll in your comments. It hurts my feelings very deeply. Besides, I did say 'thanks' for unmoderating my post!!! :-: (this is kinds fun....you send me messages in your comments, I send you messages here...it's just like the Sandra- Keanu movie The Lake House!)
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:41 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
..it's just like the Sandra- Keanu movie The Lake House!)
Or like... You've Got Mail!

Which one of you is Meg Ryan and which one is Tom Hanks?

Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Or like... You've Got Mail!

Which one of you is Meg Ryan and which one is Tom Hanks?

You tell me:

I'm making him Meg and me Tom...
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Every one if these show sells out, and in the last week mire tickets are ?For Sale,

See it happen at every show..

Went to Seattle last year instead of a Chicago,

Randy put in a nice show...and the hotel, was much better than The Holiday Inn,

No complaints on either show..,always pick up, something new..,
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ScottTexas
Does anyone have the link to the booking link for the "group rate" for the Marriott Chicago O'Hare? I never received it for next week's conference. I have e-mailed the event organizers, but I haven't heard anything back.
I have a room at the hotel conference rate that I wont be using.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I suggested on VFTW that the organizers attempt to cut the expensive hotel out of the equation next time. Go cheap all the way and charge more for the event itself. Everybody wins except the local attendees, who were getting too good a deal before.
As the guy who negotiated this round of FTU/FTUA (more to be announced soon), I can speak to that.

As vacation time/money are limited, we thought if someone is already paying to fly to SAN in March we should choose a nice property that could be used as a base for a vacation. That way they could extend their stay either before or after the event and enjoy the break from winter. As of now, there are already more Wed/Thurs/Sun/Mon bookings than we've ever had before, so it appears some people shared our thought.

OTOH, the next events will have hotel rates in line with past events (~$99 / nt) and be very close to the airports. Different options for different people.

I won't be in SAN, as I'll be enjoying an Aeroplan F RTW trip with my wife, but hope to see some of you at the other events.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:52 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rehoult
As the guy who negotiated this round of FTU/FTUA (more to be announced soon), I can speak to that.

As vacation time/money are limited, we thought if someone is already paying to fly to SAN in March we should choose a nice property that could be used as a base for a vacation. That way they could extend their stay either before or after the event and enjoy the break from winter. As of now, there are already more Wed/Thurs/Sun/Mon bookings than we've ever had before, so it appears some people shared our thought.
That makes perfect sense. Living in California I sometimes forget that winter occurs elsewhere.

I must have gotten in just under the wire around 745 AM Pacific time. By the time I booked the hotel I saw that Sunday night was sold out but that the group rate was open for several other days.

Thank you so much for coming here and joining the discussion. koko's vision for this forum is coming true: We have a place for organized exchange of information about happenings in our hobby outside FT.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
Man, I really want to go. Serves me right for getting all my blogs by email instead of going to each page obsessively every morning, I guess. I'm so sad. ;_;
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by nsx
That makes perfect sense. Living in California I sometimes forget that winter occurs elsewhere.

I must have gotten in just under the wire around 745 AM Pacific time. By the time I booked the hotel I saw that Sunday night was sold out but that the group rate was open for several other days.

Thank you so much for coming here and joining the discussion. koko's vision for this forum is coming true: We have a place for organized exchange of information about happenings in our hobby outside FT.
We are adding more rooms to block today, so if you're looking to extend your stay check later today and there should be room.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:10 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kirax2
Man, I really want to go. Serves me right for getting all my blogs by email instead of going to each page obsessively every morning, I guess. I'm so sad. ;_;
I got an email invitation, presumably as a result of attending FTU last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.