Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Youre right of course that he would never say anything bad about a hotel asking him for a good review on his own blog. We have seen that before and he has no problem accepting perks which obviously given in hopen of a good blog review.

I'm not saying it's insane to think it's annoying to be asked to review a service repeatedly. But it is rich for someone who reviews hotels for a living to complain about being asked to review a hotel, and post 2 blog posts about it. What's the upside for him? More special treatment from a hotel expecting a better review in the future? Incentives for good reviews are part of life for Ben, even if they aren't as explicit as the hypo youve described.
I know where the LM failed. Its not in asking for a TripAdvisor review. They failed to send him a chocolate cake with his blog name on it. Epic fail on the part of LM and they will pay dearly for it. None of the fanboys will now stay there.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Is it possible Ben just doesn't want to be asked to write the review, but rather wants to write it simply because he feels like it? Come on people. I'm not even a professional blogger and I find it tacky when a LARGE hotel chain begs for a review.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Is it possible Ben just doesn't want to be asked to write the review, but rather wants to write it simply because he feels like it? Come on people. I'm not even a professional blogger and I find it tacky when a LARGE hotel chain begs for a review.
Thank you! I don't get the feeling the desk agent even knew he was a blogger. There are non-discrete ways to solicit someone for a review. Being asked in person and someone giving you a card so you can thank them by name is about as bad as it gets (beyond them offering to write the review for your stay).
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
What's next? A hotel saying they'll knock off a little bit off your bill if you post the review in front of the employee?
That ship has sailed. I stayed at a hotel outside Vienna where the lobby bar offered free drinks for a good review. It is 100% against the TA rules but many do it. Turns out those rankings mean real business in busy markets.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EP
So according to his blog, Ben is in London with Ford and his mother. Is Ford's mother now on the payroll? Can we look forward to some trip reports from her soon?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
So according to his blog, Ben is in London with Ford and his mother. Is Ford's mother now on the payroll? Can we look forward to some trip reports from her soon?
Maintaining that relationship has got to be costing some pretty big miles.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Maybe she will tell us that BA first class isn't any better than Economy !
Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
Maybe she will tell us that BA first class isn't any better than Economy !
Needs a better clickbait title.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:15 pm

Does anyone else think that Lucky should have a part-time editor for his blog? Some of his writing blunders are borderline painful to read - for instance, his overuse of quotation marks, his overuse of "for example," "in my opinion," and many other things. I get that he probably didn't study writing when he was in university, but he's sort of a full-time writer at this point, and some of his mistakes make reading his blog posts unbearable.

All of that could be fixed with an editor, of course, so I'm confused as to why he doesn't just hire someone part-time to help with syntax and flow...
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by kthpence
All of that could be fixed with an editor, of course, so I'm confused as to why he doesn't just hire someone part-time to help with syntax and flow...
Because it costs money and it would mean less in his pocket?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by kthpence
Does anyone else think that Lucky should have a part-time editor for his blog? Some of his writing blunders are borderline painful to read - for instance, his overuse of quotation marks, his overuse of "for example," "in my opinion," and many other things. I get that he probably didn't study writing when he was in university, but he's sort of a full-time writer at this point, and some of his mistakes make reading his blog posts unbearable.

I'm more annoyed with the fact that, at this point, he is pretty much madlibbing his way through reviews (and even credit card posts).
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Ouch, this even surpasses MMS and FTG!

https://twitter.com/FlyerTalkerinA2/...58389764816900
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Ouch, this even surpasses MMS and FTG!

https://twitter.com/FlyerTalkerinA2/...58389764816900
Keep them honest George. I think the way things are going we are hopefully seeing a desperate last ditch effort to milk the referrals as much as they can. The rules of the "hobby" are changing and there just will not be the ability to churn CCs in the future. The business model for the Titan blogs depend on a constant stream of referral link clicks and that's dwindling.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:16 am

Post quality getting lower and lower:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-buffet-video/

Pathetic… though unfortunately not surprising either.
Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black eh?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:23 am

So tired of the term "avgeek" or "aviation geek".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.