Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

interesting that Ben refused to move his seat so he wouldn't be next to a religious woman on Oman Air, not out of commitment to principles of secular society, but because he needed to review that exact seat dammit. it takes a special individual [edited to respond to umbrage] to write and post about a trip on Oman Air and reference this issue, but not reflect at all on gender/human rights issues.
And before the attacks begin, yes, it's not a human rights blog, but to refuse to accommodate a request for gender segregation, choose to post about it, and not even acknowledge that there is an issue reflects a myopic view of the world.

I wonder if he was being an ambassador of the gay community on Oman Air.

Last edited by Adam1222; Mar 1, 2016 at 4:30 am
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm with Ben on this one and don't see that he's required to reflect on the ethics of seat assignment any more than he has in this case.

Once I selected an upper deck emergency exit row on the UA 747 to Sydney, and a passenger came on and asked me to move so his wife could sit with him in that row which has double legroom (mind you he didn't want to give up his seat to sit with his wife in a regular row just ahead of us). I declined, too, as I specially selected this row, and they ended up in separate seats. Some seats are better than others, and it appears to me he wanted a specific seat for his review. Think you're reading way too much into his post and I find your term "gay [redacted]" outright offensive.

Last edited by oliver2002; Mar 1, 2016 at 12:36 am Reason: redacted quoted term
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:13 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
I never fail to laugh every time I read this thread.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Lets not discuss semantics and point at other members. 4 OT posts deleted.

Regards Oliver2002

Mod EM&PR
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tom911
I'm with Ben on this one and don't see that he's required to reflect on the ethics of seat assignment any more than he has in this case.

Once I selected an upper deck emergency exit row on the UA 747 to Sydney, and a passenger came on and asked me to move so his wife could sit with him in that row which has double legroom (mind you he didn't want to give up his seat to sit with his wife in a regular row just ahead of us). I declined, too, as I specially selected this row, and they ended up in separate seats. Some seats are better than others, and it appears to me he wanted a specific seat for his review. Think you're reading way too much into his post and I find your term "gay [redacted]" outright offensive.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not suggest there was an issue with him choosing not to give up his seat, but rather was disappointed by his glossing over the specific issue of why he was being asked to change his seat.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:50 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Adam1222
interesting that Ben refused to move his seat so he wouldn't be next to a religious woman on Oman Air, not out of commitment to principles of secular society, but because he needed to review that exact seat dammit. it takes a special individual [edited to respond to umbrage] to write and post about a trip on Oman Air and reference this issue, but not reflect at all on gender/human rights issues.
And before the attacks begin, yes, it's not a human rights blog, but to refuse to accommodate a request for gender segregation, choose to post about it, and not even acknowledge that there is an issue reflects a myopic view of the world.

Lol.

I see you point, but having just read the blog entry, in context I saw that little story as a fifth (sixth?) way of bragging about how he had the best seat in the cabin and how private it was. 'My seat was so good and private even the veiled woman wanted it!'

So his mind was not even orbiting the religio-fascism space much less in it.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222

I don't know, but behold Ben has bestowed his approval upon the new WOW Air aircraft registration:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...4/wow-air-gay/
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Unbiased

If a hotel welcomes Ben with an amenity displaying his bloggername/site/handle, are reviews then still unbiased/true indicators if one suspects that any "special" treatment is in place (not standard upgrade to suite, maybe a room checked for any shortcoming)

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rt-club-suite/

Time to be less guillable of his reviews or am i now also a hater or troll?
I would seriously opt to send unknown reviewers to keep some credibility in reviews.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by HadesNL
If a hotel welcomes Ben with an amenity displaying his bloggername/site/handle, are reviews then still unbiased/true indicators if one suspects that any "special" treatment is in place (not standard upgrade to suite, maybe a room checked for any shortcoming)

I would seriously opt to send unknown reviewers to keep some credibility in reviews.
I think you know the answer....he is definitely getting special treatment across the board. As are other bloggers.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Am I the only one thinking - its a room at a bloody Sheraton - like how interesting can it be? Are shots of furniture and toilet any different from any other SPG hotel?

Like the room looks like any other cookie cutter western chain hotel room?

What am I missing here? Like I understand EK F reviews may be a bit interesting, but a room at of all things, a Sheraton?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:51 pm

They gave him a new suite and, with the unsubtle amenity, let him know they expected a favorable review. Not smart showing a pic of the amenity, however. In truth, the "suite" looked like a unit in an extended stay apartment.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He really loves those pictures of the emergency exits from the back of the door.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

In fairness, I've been in airport chain hotel rooms that have been real dumps.

In fact, last time I stayed at that very hotel the room was a real dump.

My mileage varied, so to speak.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
At least the post sparked a debate in the comments section about blurring the line bewteen prefferential blogger treatment and credibility of review, fortunatly a sign that the intellect of the omaat-reader has not succumbed to rollingstone level and still sheepishly getting the SPG card
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
At least the post sparked a debate in the comments section about blurring the line bewteen prefferential blogger treatment and credibility of review, fortunatly a sign that the intellect of the omaat-reader has not succumbed to rollingstone level and still sheepishly getting the SPG card
Went over to take a look. The fan boys have their pitch forks ready and have already gone after those that rightfully call out Ben. I have never seen such rabid fan boys defending a blogger as militantly as they do with Ben. I really like one "jealous/hater" who even called out the fan boys. All hail Lucky was the phrase he used to describe Ben's syncophants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.