Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by RTW1
It's hardly as simple as your statement applies. Plenty of rules and agreements to avoid double taxation and also to determine where you should pay taxes when you travel the world....
You don't pay any tax, as a non US citizen, as long as you don't spend enough days in any single country.

UK, to be fair, is tightening up. If I had kids in school here, owned property, keep membership of a club, they may try to nab me as resident even if I was gone 300 days a year. This would not trouble a 20-something though.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Raffles
You don't pay any tax, as a non US citizen, as long as you don't spend enough days in any single country.

UK, to be fair, is tightening up. If I had kids in school here, owned property, keep membership of a club, they may try to nab me as resident even if I was gone 300 days a year. This would not trouble a 20-something though.
Most places are tightening up (not really but they have better ways of getting information).... so that's where my statement that's it not as simple as that comes from. Lots of other thing can trigger where your fiscal residency is these days. Try opening a bank account now without stating your fiscal residency...

It's a bit of an urban myth that you can go on traveling and have no fiscal residency. But it's rather easy when you have no ties to a country to pick one with a very low, or even no income tax....
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ben has just over 4M lifetime miles on AA? Seems like with all of the award travel he does, it should be a lot higher. Maybe he's working other people's accounts also?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: ShebaMiles
Please, please, please, let's not make Uber tipping a thing. It's nice that there's something we don't need to tip for and I'd rather not have that change. Tipping in this country is already out of control.

Last edited by Parterre; Feb 24, 2016 at 9:53 pm
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by RTW1
Most places are tightening up (not really but they have better ways of getting information).... so that's where my statement that's it not as simple as that comes from. Lots of other thing can trigger where your fiscal residency is these days. Try opening a bank account now without stating your fiscal residency...

It's a bit of an urban myth that you can go on traveling and have no fiscal residency. But it's rather easy when you have no ties to a country to pick one with a very low, or even no income tax....
Indeed you do need a fiscal residency but there are plenty of territorial taxation countries offering easy residencies. Panama is a popular example.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
TBB reports that the Chase cc links now point to links via Card Benefit. So....did he lose his direct links too? Not enough pumping? Very surprised to see that. By the way, Citi Prestige is effin amazing
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:09 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by gpapadop
TBB reports that the Chase cc links now point to links via Card Benefit. So....did he lose his direct links too? Not enough pumping? Very surprised to see that. By the way, Citi Prestige is effin amazing
TBB's insights and attention to detail continue to astound. ^
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by gpapadop
This is great news. Any way to confirm? And, curious, what would say a referral be cut back to? From say $200 to what?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
This is great news. Any way to confirm? And, curious, what would say a referral be cut back to? From say $200 to what?
Wild guess...at least half! Trying to get true info on this stuff is harder than infiltrating ISIS!

I think what is happening is, as airlines have improved on handling their operations (in general!) technologically speaking, banks have also done the same. Translating: they can track how many customers coming from each blog tend to be long term profitable customers. Our space is dominated by churners who tend to make horrible customers for the banks. Therefore, the axes keep falling on these bloggers and the only ones with true lasting potential are the ones who branch out and target even MORE the newbies who never had a CSP card before (heck, never had a credit card period!). Ben got in too late to target college students

Watch TPG next in Oprah!

Oh, by the way, Bankrate stock got smashed yesterday, 43% in one day...so things are not looking good for these plastic pushing bloggers decimating our hobby
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

"I asked if I could have both the cake and ice cream (only because I wanted pictures of both), and the crew gave me the cake and said they’d come back if they had leftovers of the ice cream, which they did"

I'm glad the FAs stood up to him. it would suck to not get your dessert of choice on a business class flight because Ben wanted to take a picture of what a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a bowl looks like.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Adam1222
"I asked if I could have both the cake and ice cream (only because I wanted pictures of both), and the crew gave me the cake and said they’d come back if they had leftovers of the ice cream, which they did"

I'm glad the FAs stood up to him. it would suck to not get your dessert of choice on a business class flight because Ben wanted to take a picture of what a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a bowl looks like.
#treatyoself (but only if you're a blogger!)
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam1222

So, are the fanboys calling the FA a "hater" and jealous for not allowing it, cause, you know, that's the only reason there could be for saying anything negative to or about Ben.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
So, are the fanboys calling the FA a "hater" and jealous for not allowing it, cause, you know, that's the only reason there could be for saying anything negative to or about Ben.
Anytime someone says something slightly negative it seems fanboys jump right to throwing the word "jealous".
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EP
Obviously the FAs didn't get the memo that the prince was onboard
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:58 am

Fantastic post! See this picture http://gph.is/1afLRqA

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
#treatyoself (but only if you're a blogger!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.