Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I'm not familiar with the hotel in question, but do think it's fair to ask a hotel to control/limit room access to the hotel's own guests, and those visiting guests in their rooms when it's structurally possible for a given floor. If a hotel has a policy of propping a back door for a daily deliveryman and not supervising that open door, then that's an action/policy that needs to be corrected ASAP.
True, reasonable precautions should be implement, though most of them generally just keep honest people honest or only manage to foil the less-intelligent criminals...

- Those magnetic swipe keys can be replicated.

- A common entry door may require a key to access, but is easy enough to work around if you just follow in another guest with a key - most people will simply hold the door open for you without a second thought.

- Stairs can often still be used even where the elevators require a key to use.

- Some clever social engineering can work around most any access control feature. And as we have seen, can even allow someone who is a total stranger into a guest's room itself.

Though in this case the alleged perpetrator was someone the guest knew, and voluntarily let him into her room. So (based on what has been posted) it doesn't appear any of the access control features in the hotel would have been relevant. Who knows, the man may have even been a registered guest and had access anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:04 am
Suspended

Uh......

"My feelings towards the chain haven’t changed, though you can bet I won’t be returning to any SPG property in Spain, since the general manager of the W Barcelona is also the SPG area manager for Spain, and I wouldn’t want to contribute a dime towards his bottom line."

So. Stupid.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And yet another twist.... now the purse was probably stolen when at the bar.
That's surely a really exceptional event... probably happens every day in lots of bars.

So now the conspiracy is that there were some (unanswered) calls to the room... really....
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RTW1
That's surely a really exceptional event... probably happens every day in lots of bars.

So now the conspiracy is that there were some (unanswered) calls to the room... really....
Perhaps someone found the purse (or what was left of it) and was trying to return it.

Only one thing is clear about this story: it was moms fault. If he wants to be mad at some one be mad at mom. Or at himself for not taking better care of her. @:-)
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

I hope the worldwide dragnet is working hard to solve this one.

In the criminal justice system, hotel purse thefts are considered especially heinous. In the chain hotel world, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Lucky Victims Unit. These are their stories. DUN DUN

(with apologies to Law & Order SVU )

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Perhaps someone found the purse (or what was left of it) and was trying to return it.

Only one thing is clear about this story: it was moms fault. If he wants to be mad at some one be mad at mom. Or at himself for not taking better care of her. @:-)
Yes, indeed!
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

Apparently he does not realize that the Spanish in general do everything much later then we do, including social activities, dinner and yes even spa treatments. Calling at 8:00pm in Spain is equivalent to calling at 4:00pm in the US. No, I don't see it as strange and I don't see it as harassment. How could it be harassment if nobody answered the phone? Seriously?

I have stayed in *Woods in Spain and will continue to do so.

Too many twists in this saga and I am sure we didn't get the whole story.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:38 am

Intrigued by this thread went to check out what's that about.
Stopped reading after first few sentences, sounds weird and unclear,
honestly don't care. But clicked on his pictures and it seems he just
flew from the US to HKG yesterday just to come back through Tokyo today.
First class of course, I'm sure it was another amazing "trip"...
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Loved today's post

"I kind of take the opposite approach — I know exactly what the rules are, and I’ll be persistent as hell when it comes to making sure the rules are followed...

But under normal circumstances I can’t for the life of me bring myself to ask for something I’m not entitled to. And perhaps this is an area where ignorance is bliss. When you know exactly what you are and aren’t entitled to, it’s much tougher to just “fake dumb.”

Always follow the rules... Interested to see how the e-cert trick was allowed per the rules of united
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Interesting to see the reactions after Lucky's post today about CX F consistency. Even the Omaat fanboys are getting a bit weary of to much "aspirational" F travel and asking for Lucky to fly/review C/J-class instead to better suit most budgets of readers.

On the other hand with the launch of EK's MXP-NYC route all the reactions are eager to cash in AS-miles to fly F ....

Now that LX/LH F is more restricted to non-miles&more FFP(and even within M&M i think Lucky missed the boat in providing information of other airlines alternetive F or C/J products that could be acheviable.

And before i get sour reactions about jelousy, i have the same 1 Dutch creditcard for 15yrs without manufactered spending and sign up bonus. I earn with M&M status to upgrade onto LH/LX F from paid D-fares if the F/A-fare is the same price as a new car.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems almost certain that the guy was watching them in bar and then waited for ben to leave hotel

and the elevator thing - this should have been obvious

looking back at some replies >

farwest101, you might reread how ben described how he initially raised issue with hotel. and this was after not looking for purse until next morning. his post about not asking for things sheds some additional light.

kokonutz, i think more emotional than immature for some of these things. he is always extremely emotional, which probably is an underlying part of trip reports. its a personality trait, and may be part of writing style as well.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 18, 2015 at 10:12 pm
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I’ll always have a plastic duty free bag on me, and if I noticed any other passengers left amenity kits behind, I’ll subtly stuff them in my bag.

I did this on an EVA Air flight once, and got about five Rimowa kits that way.
Wow. From a guy who tries to act "first class", this is irony at its finest. What are you gonna do with 5 kits?
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Wow. From a guy who tries to act "first class", this is irony at its finest. What are you gonna do with 5 kits?
Apparently there is a fairly healthy eBay demand for Rimowa kits.

Personally, I love one of the commenters declaring that he finds asking for an extra kit a "bit tacky," but scavenging after the flight is ok.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:03 am

I'll play devil's advocate.

- Re: 5 kits, I've seen Ben give them away to readers in raffles.
- Re: scavenging after the flight, presumably that is unobtrusive, whereas asking for an extra demands someone's time and attention.

My last flight had an empty seat next to me, and I swiped the pack of headphones from that seat. But I'd never just ask for an extra pack.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:40 am

Okay, after this post I look really silly playing devil's advocate.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...tels-piss-off/
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:49 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Goodness gracious! I could’ve sat there all morning watching people be ridiculous while banging my head against the table.
ROFLMAO. Says the guy who complains when he is on an airplane and doesn't get served caviar!

ETA, looking at his last few posts, it seems like Ben is suffering from travel burnout and could use a vacation.

Which raises the question: where does someone who lives in hotel suites and first class cabins go for a vacation?

Last edited by kokonutz; Feb 19, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.