One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I think it's a combination of several things. In no particular order, and besides all the outright purchases of points, here's what comes to mind.

On the airline side, as you've said already, cheap paid fares figure prominently. This year, for example, there've been 3 mistake-fare roundtrips to China; last year there were several triple-point ultra-discounted transcons on AA's new service as well as 3 round-trip mileage runs to deep South America in one week. (Wow!) That's not even mentioning cheapo fares ex places such as Cairo and Colombo. For EXPs, this is all doubled, and promotions add still more to the tally.

On the non-airline side, redirecting apartment rent to points-generating hotel stays helps. Being able to play the credit card sign-up game on a double-breasted basis (i.e., on both the personal and the business side) adds still more points. More generally, having 100% of your income be in what most of us would consider the "discretionary spending" bucket has got to help a lot.

And, as noted above, having the flexibility to really maximize taking advantage of mistake fares, promotions and other opportunities is completely critical.

Let's also be clear. Lucky's a real pro and is very, very good at this stuff. Actual skill matters here just as much as it matters in other endeavors in life. (Not everyone has that one figured out yet, I'm afraid.)

I don't particularly view any of this as being especially repeatable by mere mortals such as I. For real hobbyists, however, a lot of it might be repeatable? I wouldn't know from any personal experience.

One last thing. My personal definition of hell is twofold: (1) being on a cruise, and (2) having to travel a long way and then not getting to stay!

That's my take, anyway.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Jun 8, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I can guarantee you that Lucky reads this thread
FWIW he says he doesn't.
Though it seems like that would take superhuman effort to me.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as mentioned >
its still possible to mileage run on AA, on premium sales/mistakes
didnt he do the IAD-PEK mistake 3 times? those things are paid
he buys miles too, no 'free' travel claim (less manufactured spend)

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Originally Posted by Raffles
Remember that only MMS, [FTG] and Points Guy did enough Amex volume to retain their links - with everyone else chopped, even Ben and Gary.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 8, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:47 pm

I am Canadian so most of BA blogs don't even apply here, especially CC stuff, therefore I read it for educational purpose

but I do think Lucky's blog has degraded since I first found it back in 2013? I was like WOW, I could learn so much

Now? It's even less educational because
  • I'm not 20-something
  • I have family
  • I have full-time job with limited vacations
  • I don't fly first class. J-cabin at max and Ben just don't fly Business class
  • I'm not AA EXP
  • I'm not in USA, no crazy CC offers nor MS
  • I agree, the math doesn't add up. He must get a lot $$ from somewhere (I thought I read they get probably $500K+ a year from links/ads and services?) because you still need $$ (cash flow) despite big assets (miles), like a real company/person

I haven't learned much from Lucky lately. Maybe a bit from Tiffany
I get more fun out of reading MommyPoints (or family blog in general), or CanadianKilometer, TravelIsFree (Drew)...more original contents IMO
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Talking

I do agree with the poster above.

I am based in the Netherlands where having more then 1 creditcard is already making the tax authorities eager to check you to see how you can afford it (BKR:bureau krediet registratie), so i always skip any cc mumbojumo or sign up yells.

From an airline review perspective in the beginning i was looking forward reading about new airlines and airport as to learn and be informed. Preparation is the key in comfortable travel i believe. I noticed first a reasonable balanced mix of carriers (star/1/sky) but as mentioned before we all got an overdosis of LH F, now we get an overdosis of EY F and CX F. Are the reviews really limited to what points can book only? That means it's more of a shackle instead of aspirations.

From a hotel review perspective, all he hammers on is getting recognitation on gold/plat/diamond/uberhip/celeb/personality/pope elitehotel membership. I understand the feeling of being treasured but isn't it more of getting sucked up too?

I liked in the beginning when he would photograph or write about the laundry charges/delivery times, the time availability and choice of roomservice, the choice of the pillow menu, the possibility of having a hotelcar transfer, is there a place to selfcater nearby, has the hotel a pleasent lobby to sit and wait without ordering drinks, is the hotel more business/leisure/pleasure/tourgroup inclined, is it welcoming for outside guests if needed to entertain at the bar/restaurant, carpark/valet/easy drop-pick up, is security polite and assisting or are they just bouncers, is there easy checkout, are there public loos, do the rooms have windows that open, how is the position of the aircon (blowing in your face in bed-hate it!) ...... Some small yet trivial matters that can help manage expectations and provide a thorough review. Prep a drawing of the room lay out so better visualize the spacing and post it.

And please no animated gifs.... Better add a section: this is how the hotel shows the room photoshopped on the site, this is the same angle photo with out the fairydust
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Oops hit accidently the send button.

So Ben if you read this, i know you are THE lucky guy, but please listen to constructive critisism, we learn from you but please learn from us that are in the trade too, yet not with a visible presence but also worth two eurocents
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

he has reduced report detail?

EY does premium fare deals. seem to recall some CX sales/mistakes too. also route deals.

he has talked about staying at Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, etc where one can get benefits by booking through travel agent rather than frequent guest program / points. i recall him specifically mentioning splitting the cost (traveling with someone) of paying for some of those luxury hotels. presumably when traveling with people he is not simply covering all of person's costs all the time.

unlike manufactured spend credit card bloggers, he spends discretionary income on travel. he gave up apartment, right?

someone also said something about him paying clients' award/fuel fees on his own credit card (with double/triple/etc miles) then getting reimbursed.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 8, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:41 pm

He isnt as fast as posting full reviews, instead we get the clickandbait preview teaser post just to add up post count (wont elaborate / discussed in other fora) - why am i still reading? I can relate to his youngerself, like him in my teens travelling the world (in economy though) and be amazed of the infrastructure, process and services, (in)adaptability of the industry and seeing amazing countries
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
My personal definition of hell is twofold: (1) being on a cruise, and (2) having to travel a long way and then not getting to stay!
This...lol.

I just will NEVER understand the point in flying half way across the globe to stay at a W for a few nights, then turn around.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:52 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by HadesNL

I liked in the beginning when he would photograph or write about the laundry charges/delivery times, the time availability and choice of roomservice, the choice of the pillow menu, the possibility of having a hotelcar transfer, is there a place to selfcater nearby, has the hotel a pleasent lobby to sit and wait without ordering drinks, is the hotel more business/leisure/pleasure/tourgroup inclined, is it welcoming for outside guests if needed to entertain at the bar/restaurant, carpark/valet/easy drop-pick up, is security polite and assisting or are they just bouncers, is there easy checkout, are there public loos, do the rooms have windows that open, how is the position of the aircon (blowing in your face in bed-hate it!) ...... Some small yet trivial matters that can help manage expectations and provide a thorough review. Prep a drawing of the room lay out so better visualize the spacing and post it.

And please no animated gifs.... Better add a section: this is how the hotel shows the room photoshopped on the site, this is the same angle photo with out the fairydust
Luckily for you there is a GREAT resource for what you seek: FlyerTalk!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Luckily for you there is a GREAT resource for what you seek: FlyerTalk!
I have to second that thought. There has never been anything that I learned from blogs that wasn't on FT first.

I use to like OMAAT a lot but somewhere in the last couple of years it just got boring and repetitive with the LH F and other F stuff. I am definately not his target market and I think when he went all breathless over a Hello Kitty plane is when I stopped being a daily reader. Now I don't go there at all unless I get a tip on here to read something there.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
This...lol.

I just will NEVER understand the point in flying half way across the globe to stay at a W for a few nights, then turn around.
For work?

It makes total sense why he isn't staying longer and at boutique hotels or 'hidden gems'. His target audience wants to know what cards to sign up for so that they can travel on miles/points. These trips are more or less advertisements on how if you obtain the points the type of luxury that awaits you. Also, he has to fund his travel for work one way or another... so paying in points/miles reduces the amount he has to pay out of pocket. Though he could do a mattress run and detail several products in one trip.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

others talk about manufactured spend a lot more than ben does
ben has a lot of regular readers who treat it like new media journalism

if nice F, i would have no problem flying to other side of world for 1 night
because of accommodations i choose, i fly paid Y and have done short trips

im not a cruise person either, need more yachts that take individual bookings
(and i dont mean 50 cabin seadream, i mean yachts with 5 to 25 cabins)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 9, 2015 at 9:18 am
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
For work?

It makes total sense why he isn't staying longer and at boutique hotels or 'hidden gems'. His target audience wants to know what cards to sign up for so that they can travel on miles/points. These trips are more or less advertisements on how if you obtain the points the type of luxury that awaits you. Also, he has to fund his travel for work one way or another... so paying in points/miles reduces the amount he has to pay out of pocket. Though he could do a mattress run and detail several products in one trip.
I guess?

FWIW, I'm thinking his 'target audience' is probably getting sick of Hyatt this and W that...(if his comments section is any indication)

PS, I may start reading OMAAT again if he posted more about J instead of F, and didn't religiously stay at corporate hotels...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:23 pm

'target audience' ->

discussion about the new Australia flight:

TheRealBabushka says:
June 9, 2015 at 10:58 am
Yeah I’d say it’s Brisbane, which is not great. On one hand you get the chance to use SWU, on the other hand the QF international First lounge at BNE is rubbish (compared to SYD and MEL).

This guy doesn’t care about Great Barrier Reef, he cares about a lounge being rubbish…
Speechless.

The only reason to travel is not to discover the world and experience
amazing things but to make you feel better about yourself. Make you feel
like you are "better" because you sit in First with all the celebrities...
and drink free Krug

Let you forget about your miserable life for a moment...
Who doesn't want that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.