Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I'm actually impressed by the quality of photos from Andy's Travel Blog. IMO if someone like Ben or Gary is going to review a product like Cathay for the 8+ time they should really invest in a better camera and some photography lessons. This guy is even blurring out faces which should be the standard. These photos are 100x's better TPG who is shooting everything with his iPhone 6.
Wow. You are so right. After looking at infinity photos of a CX first suite on blogs, that's the first time I have ever appreciated looking at a photo of a CX F suite! ^
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Ah, but you still care enough to comment!

Why?
I'm commenting here, not there. Isn't that the point of this thread?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
I'm commenting here, not there. Isn't that the point of this thread?
i rarely even look at the blog posts referenced here
usually the reference here has enough to reply to

but those looking at blog in order to reference it..
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
My point is that you're commenting, that we're all commenting, at all in the first place. Where is irrelevant.

The point, to repeat it, is that we care enough to comment at all, anywhere.

Why?

Still working on my answer . . . . What's yours?

And, while you're at it, please tell me why on earth anyone would comment on stuff he hasn't read, has no intention of reading and has no interest in? My goodness . . . !

(I myself probably still read very roughly half of Lucky's posts though it very much depends on the day.)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i sometimes read this forum on FT. theres a lot of side discussion here.
while i agree with some blog criticism, i find some blog criticism odd.

i dont read blogs.

not sure who / what all you are referring to?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Shouldn't it occur to you that perhaps he's more sophisticated than you think and better at what he does than you think?
Just gonna put this right here...

How To Join The Mile High Club Without Getting Caught
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
More or less the writing style of the review makes the reader perceive the attitude of the writer. Does the review strike to you as; i am a proffessional and i give detailed analysis, background information, pro/contra arguments about the airline/hotel/lounge or is the DYKWI-tone/whatever spells snobby/upperclass with out manners.

Ben writes his reviews from the me persepective; i received/reached out/got upgraded/used - this makes most of us of think that's always me first. Better is to review by catagory in a divide between hard and soft product.
Airline: 1)checkin counter 2)security 3)immigration 4)lounge facilities etc with subs on service
Hotel: 1)room 2)bathroom 3) minibar 4)hotel service across departments etc. and elaborate/rate by subject in an objective tone

Reviewing is like storytelling; an art that can perfected to send the right message, there are many FT-tripreports posted that engage the reader with their writing style
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Thanks so much Astrophsx and kokonutz. I put a lot of effort into my pictures, particularly because my writing is fairly crap, so I'm glad you enjoyed them! In Ben and Gary's defense, they spend their time writing and I doubt they have time to edit pictures like I do, but Ben's pictures in particular have gotten markedly better of late in my opinion.

My goal is to someday have my pics be as impactful as Seth's, his composition is mindblowing to me.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sophisticated can also mean smart enough to write clickbait titles like this. I suspect that is one of his highest ranking posts.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by ScottC
Sophisticated can also mean smart enough to write clickbait titles like this. I suspect that is one of his highest ranking posts.
Seriously? So people who know its click bait click on it anyway? I don't understand that at all. If I saw a title like that on any blog I would not waste my time getting clicking through.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:11 am

Just curious... if you lived full time in hotels and switched to a hotel in a different state could you use this to avoid income tax? I was reading about how Howard Hughes did this and was wondering if there were any other benefits other than hotel points, maid service, status, etc..

"Although Hughes lived in his own home in California for many years, he later came up with the idea of living in hotels as this enabled him not to have a legally declared residence in any state which would require him to pay personal income taxes. Shortly after Hughes began living in hotels with no state as his official residence, legislation was passed that any person living in a state 180 days or longer was subject to personal income tax during that time period in that state. Then, Hughes would live in a given hotel for just under 180 days, before moving to another hotel for just under 180 days, and so on. His extremely creative efforts to avoid taxes were successful; even after his death, the states of California and Texas were unable to collect inheritance taxes since it could not be proven that he was a legal resident of either state."
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Interesting observation, Astro. Ben has said for cc apps and other official forms (passport? GE?), he domiciles at his parents' home in Tampa. Not sure where his points booking business is domiciled. Sounds like they don't have offices, just agents working from home. Hope he has a great advisory team, otherwise, I don't care what anyone says, you just haven't been around long enough at 25 to effectively maneuver the business, legal, and tax nuances.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
Seriously? So people who know its click bait click on it anyway? I don't understand that at all. If I saw a title like that on any blog I would not waste my time getting clicking through.
How can you not see it? The thread was click-baity enough to get mentioned here.

Do you really think nobody here clicked it? You are in the minority if you didn't at least click and read a little of what he had to say.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Is this the one from a few months ago, or is it a re-tread? If so, ScottC is likely correct that it was successful chum the first time so he's bringing it up again.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Is this the one from a few months ago, or is it a re-tread? If so, ScottC is likely correct that it was successful chum the first time so he's bringing it up again.
This one is about a YouTube video with a humorous sketch about a couple making the attempt. But never fear, the post also has a link back to OMAAT's earlier post on the subject.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.