Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by skunker
Don't you think he would like to paint a better picture of himself to a mass audience that probably has never heard of him before? Do you think people would be willing to care about a guy that was banned from an airline for doing what is alleged (versus what is reported in the article)? One is gaming the system, the other is fraud.

The article makes it all sound so glamorous doesn't it? First class flights costing $15k. 5-star hotels. Running into friends in Hong Kong and sharing a bottle of champagne until the wee hours. It's a puff piece.

But, for the life of me I can't figure out why hobby is written as "Hobby."
To add to the mystique. As Rolling Stone has recently shown, it's more interested in printing interesting stories. Actual factual backup is unnecessary. Just tell an interesting story. And it's a lot more "interesting" if you're talking about a Hobby than a hobby. Seem silly? I agree, but I don't have a better explanation.

The story certainly lays bare a number of things, including the posts Ben generated when he was contemplating a move away from Tampa. "Hey, make suggestions where I should live next!" Well, from the story, it's quite clear that he was headed to Seattle the entire time. And the reverse of that, "Hey, Seattle was fun but time to leave!" was clearly tied straight to the end of his relationship there. Furthermore, Ben's occasional insistence that he doesn't just fly on planes and stay in hotels but that he actually visits the places he goes to seems undermined by the article. I'm glad he likes traveling the way he does, but it wouldn't interest me one bit.

I think there's also been some feeling that Ben was a "little guy." The article certainly undermines that. You don't need to believe that Ben's a millionaire to understand that most 25-year-olds with a normal income for that age don't buy a condo for their parents. If you can do that, you're certainly making a lot of money.

I seem to recall that the Mint ended when publicity about that deal hit the MSM and Congress realized that the huge turnover in dollar coins was not even accomplishing the goals of the program. Essentially, Congress didn't want to look like idiots. I'd consider that analysis when evaluating Ben's comments about the people who run FF programs. They don't like to be made to look like idiots either. It's one thing to say those kinds of things at a seminar for FF geeks--put it in the pages of Rolling Stone, it's another story. And, I tend to agree with the statements some in the article made about "the house always wins."

I can't explain this either, but the article made me a little less likely to read Ben's blog, and by extension, Gary's. Not that they will have any reason to care, but I was less interested in Ben after reading the article than before.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
The story certainly lays bare a number of things, including the posts Ben generated when he was contemplating a move away from Tampa. "Hey, make suggestions where I should live next!" Well, from the story, it's quite clear that he was headed to Seattle the entire time. And the reverse of that, "Hey, Seattle was fun but time to leave!" was clearly tied straight to the end of his relationship there. Furthermore, Ben's occasional insistence that he doesn't just fly on planes and stay in hotels but that he actually visits the places he goes to seems undermined by the article. I'm glad he likes traveling the way he does, but it wouldn't interest me one bit.
Ben never made it clear why he was traveling with a friend early on, but stated in his comments section that the reason there was one bed was due to wanting the upgrade to a suite and that a barrier of pillows was used. There are a number of things documented in this article that do not align to what has been posted on OMAAT.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
a barrier of pillows was used
lolol!!! I think I used that excuse when my mom caught me in bed with a girl in high school.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
To add to the mystique. As Rolling Stone has recently shown, it's more interested in printing interesting stories. Actual factual backup is unnecessary. Just tell an interesting story. And it's a lot more "interesting" if you're talking about a Hobby than a hobby. Seem silly? I agree, but I don't have a better explanation.

I think there's also been some feeling that Ben was a "little guy." The article certainly undermines that. You don't need to believe that Ben's a millionaire to understand that most 25-year-olds with a normal income for that age don't buy a condo for their parents. If you can do that, you're certainly making a lot of money.

I seem to recall that the Mint ended when publicity about that deal hit the MSM and Congress realized that the huge turnover in dollar coins was not even accomplishing the goals of the program. Essentially, Congress didn't want to look like idiots. I'd consider that analysis when evaluating Ben's comments about the people who run FF programs. They don't like to be made to look like idiots either. It's one thing to say those kinds of things at a seminar for FF geeks--put it in the pages of Rolling Stone, it's another story. And, I tend to agree with the statements some in the article made about "the house always wins."

I can't explain this either, but the article made me a little less likely to read Ben's blog, and by extension, Gary's. Not that they will have any reason to care, but I was less interested in Ben after reading the article than before.
If the RS article were the first thing I ever read about him, I would never visit the blog. It certainly, for me at least, paints an unfavorable impression of the man - one that differs quite a bit from the persona publicized on OMAAT.

Your comments about the Mint are what I was thinking as well. Too much, or the wrong flavor of, publicity are not good for anyone. And calling the industry side "idiots" in a mainstream publication is childish.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
If the RS article were the first thing I ever read about him, I would never visit the blog. It certainly, for me at least, paints an unfavorable impression of the man - one that differs quite a bit from the persona publicized on OMAAT.
Holly cow, first - thanks for the link, I would never pay for anything
with a Kardashian on the cover...
Our nice little boy is in reality a version of that Justin Lee person...
can't believe he's happy with this kind of "advertising".
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
And calling the industry side "idiots" in a mainstream publication is childish.
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!!!!

I guess his business plan doesn't include hobnobbing with program execs the way Gary's does!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:54 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
can't believe he's happy with this kind of "advertising".
Yes, certainly violates the premise that there is no such thing as too much publicity

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I guess his business plan doesn't include hobnobbing with program execs the way Gary's does!

If he had been doing this, he'll now be persona non grata

>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<

I generally have little sympathy for airline management or their IT stupidity, but if he really abused UA that way more than once or twice, shame on Ben.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Oops! Sorry, my earlier explanation was much too simplistic. The Rolling Stone article was branding at its best (expect a trademark symbol for the words, "The Hobby," sometime soon)--and the author went along for the ride: The Hobby Demands a Chase Sapphire Preferred.

And, that'll pretty much close the book on Ben for me.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Oops! Sorry, my earlier explanation was much too simplistic. The Rolling Stone article was branding at its best (expect a trademark symbol for the words, "The Hobby," sometime soon)--and the author went along for the ride: The Hobby Demands a Chase Sapphire Preferred.

I actually logged in to say pretty much the same thing: The whole thing reeks of paid advertising for OMAAT and Boarding Area. The more I thought about it the more I couldn't shake the question of why was the article written? They don't really talk about how Lucky earns his miles, just that it is ever growing.

The way I see it BA (maybe Randy) decides they are losing too much market share due to all the other blogs that are branching out (I don't know if that is true, but follow me for a second). So, they contact RS and pitch the idea of flying around with one of their bloggers for a nice puff piece to drive people to BA.

They can't use Gary as he doesn't fit the RS target demo, but they can name drop him. While Gary loves photo of himself in PJs in bathrooms, I don't think RS wanted to include those. They needed a young and intelligent face for the article. They take Ben, give him a good backstory: equal parts wunderkind and rebel. Take some glossy photos and play up the lavish lifestyle. All to drive traffic to OMAAT.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Indeed.

I guess it was fitting that Kim Kardashian was on the front cover for this issue. Lots of vapid, self-serving content.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:41 pm

Indeed.

I guess it was fitting that Kim Kardashian was on the front cover for this issue. Lots of vapid, self-serving content.
The unwanted sexual encounter... how did that topic even get brought up??
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:57 pm

Reporter: "Tell me about your wildest flights."
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Reporter: "Tell me about your wildest flights."
Anyone want to speculate which airline this happened on? My guess is Lufthansa, but I can remember not long ago of some overly friendly FAs?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this is how the media works these days

when ben said he was gay in comment (nicely done i thought, responding to quasi troll) one of my first thoughts (plural) was 'now all that sharing bed with friend makes a lot more sense'

would UA/AA be more likely than LH? maybe? also possible its made up/exaggerated. not really a big deal.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:17 pm

I missed the bed sharing debacle -- any pointers?

UA/AA less likely than LH IMO -- article says he & FA had the liaison in an empty row, which is unlikely on those carriers. UA especially unlikely as he's banned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.