Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by cruisr
you know all you have to do is Google Ben's name and Tampa and purchase and you can see what he bought. tax deduction? Maybe? It's in his name, not his parents so no, he didnt buy it for them otherwise it would be in their name.
Oh my. Dig a little deeper in the RE records and you'll see likely why.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Oh my. Dig a little deeper in the RE records and you'll see likely why.
Still claiming residence in Florida for tax purposes? (No state income tax down here.) Anyone know if he's filed for the homestead exemption- Florida's version of Prop 13- if so there are additional tax advantages and it seems to be pretty rare for anyone to get busted for a fraudulent homestead exemption if you're not actually using it as your primary residence.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Still claiming residence in Florida for tax purposes? (No state income tax down here.) Anyone know if he's filed for the homestead exemption- Florida's version of Prop 13- if so there are additional tax advantages and it seems to be pretty rare for anyone to get busted for a fraudulent homestead exemption if you're not actually using it as your primary residence.
Why would he need to claim Florida? If he doesn't live anywhere, bouncing from hotel to hotel, then state taxes wouldn't be an issue. I believe this was mentioned previously in this thread.

Here it is: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24960527-post356.html
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:23 pm

It looks like this website shows that PointsPros is registered in Tampa (apartment address):
https://www.dandb.com/businessdirect...-34532131.html

Other websites point out that the trademark for "One Mile at a Time" was filed for by PointsPros in 2014.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
It looks like this website shows that PointsPros is registered in Tampa (apartment address):
https://www.dandb.com/businessdirect...-34532131.html

Other websites point out that the trademark for "One Mile at a Time" was filed for by PointsPros in 2014.
So he lives in a gated community in Tampa? I sometimes read his blog and he says he's visiting his parents. It looks to me he actually lives in Tampa.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Everyone technically lives someplace for tax purposes... even I have an address in the US although I moved away 5 1/2 years ago.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:57 pm

So here's what bugs me about that article: it appears to be half feature reporting and half fiction.

For example:

Did the reporter interview those 'jowly faces?' Or is the reporter making up their 'judgments?'

Yes, i know, i know, this is the magazine that allowes entire stories to be made up so I can't really hold them to much in terms of journalistic integrity. But really, it reads like third person fiction to me. Much of the article does.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
So here's what bugs me about that article: it appears to be half feature reporting and half fiction.

For example:

Did the reporter interview those 'jowly faces?' Or is the reporter making up their 'judgments?'

Yes, i know, i know, this is the magazine that allowes entire stories to be made up so I can't really hold them to much in terms of journalistic integrity. But really, it reads like third person fiction to me. Much of the article does.
Perhaps this was Ben's description of those in J and the reporter ran with it. I wouldn't be surprised.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
So he lives in a gated community in Tampa? I sometimes read his blog and he says he's visiting his parents. It looks to me he actually lives in Tampa.
No, this is most likely the address he had back in 2011.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:55 pm

In Rolling Stone, Ben says the only city he could ever live in is Hong Kong.

On OMAAT today, Ben says he is likely to settle down in Los Angeles.

Per public records, Ben owns a condo and claims homestead in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Perhaps this was Ben's description of those in J and the reporter ran with it. I wouldn't be surprised.
It's stated as a fact.

Kinda like how it was stated as a fact in RS that Jackie was raped.

Ben Bradlee is rolling over in his grave.

Look, if RS wants to engage in fiction they should just say so.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
In addition to no state income tax and liberal homestead rules, Florida offers much broader exemptions in civil and bankruptcy cases than do other states. These were given public prominence back in the '90s when former baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn sold his Ridgewood NJ estate and bought a similar mansion in Ponte Verde Beach Fl, in preparation for his subsequent bankruptcy filing.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:15 pm

It's possible that he did interview them, especially given that he "traveled to three countries for this story as Schlappig's guest" to report the story.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st1575
It's possible that he did interview them, especially given that he "traveled to three countries for this story as Schlappig's guest" to report the story.
expensed as marketing?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by st1575
Yeeeeah....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.