One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
You're right he is clear about not saying in the blog that travel is "free", but he does use the word cheap a lot with regard to fares, purchasing miles, etc: (And I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that adjective in many of the instances, relatively speaking)

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/?s=cheap

And as noted above, Ben certainly hasn't attempted to correct the article's characterizations, FWIW.
Technically when you are fraudulently reusing travel certs you are traveling for free. Also, frequently looking for the smallest of problems and requesting compensation or looking for flights to get vouchers from getting bumped could classify as traveling for free. None of these methods I believe have been detailed in full by the blog. Though these methods could be connected to that quote even though he stated in the article he no longer uses these methods.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Technically when you are fraudulently reusing travel certs you are traveling for free. Also, frequently looking for the smallest of problems and requesting compensation or looking for flights to get vouchers from getting bumped could classify as traveling for free. None of these methods I believe have been detailed in full by the blog. Though these methods could be connected to that quote even though he stated in the article he no longer uses these methods.
Yeah you do have a good point there!
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by agp423
Oh god, too much to read. As a proud American I'll proudly resort to reading the few lines of people's reaction here.
Literally laughed out loud. Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:57 am

I don't follow this part of FlyerTalk, so I didn't know the article was coming until I read it. My reaction was to pull the FlyerTalk tag off my bag. That isn't a protest against anything or anyone. My travel is so utterly different (my points go to my employer, for instance) that I didn't want my professional image to be blurred by this other aspect of FT. The stuff I do here is purely practical - reading and posting hotel review, conversing about travel hassles (visas, oddball airlines); I didn't want to invite any questions about mileage runs or how I was getting rich (in any currency) through my 97% business travel. In month, the tags will go back on. I do like this place and I'm happy to be associated with it.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Reminds me of all the articles on that Jewjetter guy.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
My one experience with PointsPros was pretty awful, too, so I'll just let his world go.
Care to share more about your experience?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:27 pm

Although I love flying around it must be very exhausting not having a place you can call "home".

Besides enjoying a luxury life while traveling it must be lonesome as well. Sure, you will meet lots of strangers, maybe fans/followers and some (Facebook)friends. But gone for almost a year without settling down and people you can rely on would be very hard for me.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by will5404
Go back a few pages in this thread and you'll see discussion of blog post of Lucky meeting him and saying he was a good guy (or something to that effect).
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by will5404
I understand both Lucky on the blog and Ben/Lucky in Rolling Stone is an image he wants to sell. I am just curious which one is most true. Because frankly, the guy in Rolling Stone do not come across as someone I'd like to be associated with in any form.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Lucky is affable and very enthusiastic about his hobby turned livelihood. It's sort of like spending time with an evangelist: you are inspired to become better (at this hobby) than you were.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by nsx
Lucky is affable and very enthusiastic about his hobby turned livelihood. It's sort of like spending time with an evangelist: you are inspired to become better (at this hobby) than you were.
Or it turns out the guy is a quack and the Kool-Aid is laced.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

buying miles, doing premium deals = a deal, rather than free

to a certain point, i imagine ben explaining some things to RS
and as RS listens, they focus on and emphasize certain things
edit - thought it was clear i was referring to spending money

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 13, 2015 at 11:11 am
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
buying miles, doing premium deals = a deal, rather than free

to a certain point, i imagine ben explaining some things to RS
and as RS listens, they focus on and emphasize certain things
Like the Krug and Tug?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Like the Krug and Tug?
RS had to one-up ABC (skip to 5:10)

Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I loved the article!

There's not enough detail in there to cause anyone with "The Hobby" a scare. It takes so much time!

The article will probably only help airlines - people will sign up for a few cards chasing the dream - but like most people I know back home - trying to get 1M miles is just too much work.

Only a few people have the passion, and it sure sounds like Ben has it.

It was good psuedo-journalism with a bit of a dark side, "Encrypted bulletin boards talking about manufactured spend." We all know MS is the dark side of miles these days, and look at the cat and mouse aspect of that game. FF miles don't seem to have the same cat and mouse - except for the slow drip of devaluation.

Not a Ben/OMAAT reader but might have to start. Wish I had the motivation to play it like him but prefer to travel slower these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.