One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.1; LG-H811 Build/LMY47D) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/43.0.2357.93 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I think it was a visit to a Hyatt somewhere in Argentina. It was so out of place as compared to his previous postings, and I looked carefully and didn't find an acknowledgement of free arrangements. I really didn't want to continue reading a shill blog; that is, one in which the author could not fairly criticize negative factors because he/she had accepted free arrangements/accommodations.
I think you're referring to his trip to Mendoza for the Masters of Food and WIne. He was pretty upfront that his trip was covered....

My business class airfare, stay at the Park Hyatt Mendoza, and admission to all the events were comped, given that Park Hyatt, American Airlines, and all of the wineries we visited are sponsors of the event (and I’ll be sure to disclose that in every subsequent post on the subject, though hopefully y’all know me well enough to know that I’m quite outspoken about my impressions, and I have no plans to hold back here).
He also notes on the actual PH Mendoza trip report right at the start

(Full disclosure: Park Hyatt and American Airlines, sponsors of the Masters of Food & Wine Event, comped my airfare, hotel, and admission to the events)
So, he was pretty upfront about the nature of the trip.

FDW
Thanks FDW - I stand corrected on that specific trip.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Seems like there may be two UA glitches he took advantage of? The article said he tried to pay them back ~$5k.
Well, he's been accused of several things, ranging from the unethical to the fraudulent.

1) Booking and flying the KIX-ICN via SFO award F trip was probably the most benign of the examples, given that he wasn't URL hacking the website or switching currency or doing anything abnormal to get that fare -- it was an itinerary bookable by anyone. This "award mistake fare" lingered for quite a while (weeks, at least) when he first reported it via a classic FT post, and then resurfaced (at least once) for another few weeks about a year later.

2) He was also accused of excessively complaining to UA in order to get compensation vouchers. I'll let others try to peg the ethics of this -- although certainly you could argue that UA was willingly giving the comp and could/should have stopped giving vouchers for inoperative lights or tray tables at any point if they wanted to (much like DL/NW famously "fired" a frequent complaining customer). Who knows if UA even had the systems in place to track and monitor this kind of activity then.

3) Then, most aggressive on his part was using those compensation vouchers multiple times, exploiting a UA IT glitch that did not immediately cancel the voucher upon use, allowing the value to be applied to multiple tickets if bought within minutes/hours of the initial redemption. This was done knowingly and willfully to exploit the IT glitch and to gain thousands of dollars of value that he was not entitled to. My understanding is that this is what led UA to finally cut him off, and what he tried to offer to repay them for.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yes, I'd forgotten about the Mendoza trip. As something of very junior-grade oenophile, I thought that series of posts was one of the more interesting ones. I got to do a little cross-comparing when SFO777 ran a report on the same region here on Flyer Talk. I had no idea the area was so beautiful, always with snow-capped mountains in the background. The small irony lurking in all this is that Ben doesn't even like wine . . . ex a few glasses of Champagne now and again, obviously.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by ingy

I find it extremely arrogant to expect the hobby to close its doors to new members the day after you or any other "whiner" got involved.
I find it extremely arrogant to pretend you discovered something when you merely regurgitated something into your blog that you read on this website.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reusing of vouchers due to IT issues is pure theft. I'm not surprised UA canned him as a customer, I'm surprised they didn't try to do more.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I find it extremely arrogant to pretend you discovered something when you merely regurgitated something into your blog that you read on this website.
No matter how you feel about someone, it's always a good idea to try and refrain from rewriting history. Rick's blog was probably the first hobby blog I stumbled upon, with tonnes of original material. Saying that it "merely regurgitated" FT is foolish and baseless.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:44 pm

Ben has written that he doesn't do much MS anymore, but I'm wondering how he meets the spending requirements for all those new credit cards? The banks typically award 10K miles per $1K spend-- spend $5K, get $50K miles. If he gets 500K miles from CC signups per year, he must spend $50K/yr, roughly $4K/month. For a single guy, that's a lot of money. Has he ever given us an idea where that money goes? Is it the lower-end hotels he stays at? Some paid flights?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
And saying that one of Ben's stays in a big chain hotel is odd is itself more than odd: all Ben does is stay in chain hotels!
Here is some evidence that leads me to believe that RS isn't the one who sensationalizes Ben's activities: Video 6:45 mark "Every year I have roughly 100 free hotel nights that I earn through the hotel programs." Is he trying to say he actually redeems 100 free nights each year? The phrasing leads me to believe so even though he is most likely paying for his nights (assuming for a tax deduction).

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
who cares about signups
what matters is bloggers who told people to buy refundable tickets
and to attack airlines over mistake fares (DOT complaint, lawsuit, etc)

manufactured spend is not going away
airlines are shifting to CC, vs flight miles
That was The Points Guy who pushed people to complain.. not sure if any other blogger did this.

Also, if you kill purchasing gift cards w/ a CC and loading serve not much out there that doesn't take a lot of time/effort to MS.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
BTW...nothing wrong staying in chain hotels...but going to BKK to eat Pizza? Puhleeze.
Reminds me of this show:

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Well, he's been accused of several things, ranging from the unethical to the fraudulent.
The excessively complaining was by his own admission in the article. It seems he didn't put forth the full truth to RS. So one could come to the assumption that the sensationalized claims made about his travels were from Ben's mouth and that there was some cherry picking involved by the author with quotes made. We just don't know what the context of the quotes were, but it leads me to believe that no false claims were made by the author... they came from Ben's mouth.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Ben has written that he doesn't do much MS anymore, but I'm wondering how he meets the spending requirements for all those new credit cards? The banks typically award 10K miles per $1K spend-- spend $5K, get $50K miles. If he gets 500K miles from CC signups per year, he must spend $50K/yr, roughly $4K/month. For a single guy, that's a lot of money. Has he ever given us an idea where that money goes? Is it the lower-end hotels he stays at? Some paid flights?
Meeting minimum spend is not hard if you have predictable spending pattern. Lucky has detailed it on his blog, but basically he spends money on his own revenue travel, on hotels, on purchasing miles during deals (e.g. Alaska miles).

Furthermore, apparently his customers sometimes ask him to pay with his own card (I think, by his own admission he was a little surprised about that).

TL;DR - have a business where you can expense a lot

P.S. When Citi has 100K deal for $10K spend, people did multiple cards in one month, IIRC.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Rusdude
Meeting minimum spend is not hard if you have predictable spending pattern. Lucky has detailed it on his blog, but basically he spends money on his own revenue travel, on hotels, on purchasing miles during deals (e.g. Alaska miles).

Furthermore, apparently his customers sometimes ask him to pay with his own card (I think, by his own admission he was a little surprised about that).

TL;DR - have a business where you can expense a lot

P.S. When Citi has 100K deal for $10K spend, people did multiple cards in one month, IIRC.
Yeah, but they did MS.

I still think $50K spend is a lot for a single person, considering he doesn't pay mortgage or rent, and his expensive hotels are all on points. And he apparently puts all his food costs on the CSP. I guess the $100/night for the "regular" hotels add up.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA (Gold), AA (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
3) Then, most aggressive on his part was using those compensation vouchers multiple times, exploiting a UA IT glitch that did not immediately cancel the voucher upon use, allowing the value to be applied to multiple tickets if bought within minutes/hours of the initial redemption. This was done knowingly and willfully to exploit the IT glitch and to gain thousands of dollars of value that he was not entitled to. My understanding is that this is what led UA to finally cut him off, and what he tried to offer to repay them for.
How do you know this? Do you have a source?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Jackspoint
How do you know this? Do you have a source?
This is pretty common knowledge on FT, I'm sure someone who follows the saga of Ben a little more closely can point you to a source.

I'm honestly surprised UA just stopped at banning him from the airline and that's it. Outright theft of several thousand dollars in services should get a person in some kind of legal trouble one would think.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:24 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My memory of this was that it was a glitch in the UA IT software. You could use points for 1 trip that could become more as long as you flew out of one city, returned to a different US city, flew out immediately again, rinse and repeat. The software only charged points for 1 RT. You had to love flying simply for the sake of flying to do it.
Award intended for Japan-South Korea direct inadvertantly allowed routing via west coast USA.

6 transpacs in 5 days thread
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been experimenting with the newly released IBM Watson Personality Analyzer.
https://watson-pi-demo.mybluemix.net/
Cut/pasted 300 words from Ben/Lucky's 2006 OP linked above.
Fascinating assessment of our peripatetic friend.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Yeah, but they did MS.

I still think $50K spend is a lot for a single person, considering he doesn't pay mortgage or rent, and his expensive hotels are all on points. And he apparently puts all his food costs on the CSP. I guess the $100/night for the "regular" hotels add up.
It's possible he is charging his parents purchases and daily/monthly expenses to his cards as well as the taxes and misc. charges his award clients incur. One (of many) unintended consequences of his current burst of publicity will be closer scrutiny by the airlines and other travel providers of his activities and schemes as well as a possibly up close and personal visit by the IRS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.