One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by mikekelley
As the complexity increases, it seems very promising. I frankly don't have the time or need to want to f around with the complicated and archaic award booking systems, so when I say 'I have miles with this program, that program, and those programs, find me Biz to Europe in June, here's $150' it's well worth it. Time is money, especially when you are self employed and there is a list of about 1000 things I'd rather be doing than dinking around with award charts.
My point was that this is a very labor-intensive/time consuming business. And lots of people are now doing it. A thousand requests yields less than $150,000 after taxes, helper salaries etc. Good job for a recent college graduate. Not so much for a career.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...9876coins.html
for those who did not read forums ben was active on

re award booking >

most people do not want to learn how to book awards, and a lot of people have a lot of business spend
The quote from Tiffany is patently ridiculous. The whole point of the blog is to sell credit cards and she now says that their clients DON'T want to use the credit cards that Ben has encouraged them to sign up for and use. Why would they not say, "you may not realize this but if you pay for this award ticket with your CC you wil earn X amount of points. Of course they don't want the client to put the charges on their credit card because this way Ben can put it on his. Either that or the clients don't trust them with their CC info,
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The net proceeds from one credit card app conversion are probably greater than the proceeds from one award booking. Let's consider them to be the same for sake of argument.

Do you think Ben and Tiffany and Travis and whoever else is there would rather get one anonymous cc app to convert by stuffing the blog with endless posts, or do one award booking?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Dude, you are just not the target market for the award booking business!
The point was, it really didn't take that long to figure it out myself. Despite what the bloggers may say, this isn't rocket science.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah, but do most people want or care enough to figure it out on their own? My mother probably has 100k award miles just sitting in her account that she would never, ever redeem without services like this (or me to help). For the vast majority of FF program members I would bet this is true. The system is convoluted, complicated, fickle and most people aren't aware of their alternative options if they see no off peak/saver/cheap awards on their preferred dates in their preferred class of service. Do you think the average person is going to know that they have to book a J award on X airline exactly 355 days out or inventory is going to get gobbled up? Not a snowball's chance in hell.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
This mikekelley character is onto something. Quit looking at award booking services from a FlyerTalk perspective. For most people it's worth paying a few hundred bucks for a service like that. For instance, to book my most recent RTW award (DFW-LHR-AUH-DOH-BKK-HKG-LAX-DFW) I had to do four searches on three websites to find availability. Many FTers would immediately know how to do that but there's no way the average person who isn't waist-deep in this stuff would have any clue where to even begin.

I briefly tried to start my own service but because my blog audience was mostly FTers at the time, I ended up being asked to do the bookings they couldn't do after trying everything on their own. An award booking company needs to have a ton of easy bookings to offset the amount of time and resources spent on booking the really hard ones. Ben's service has that blend, which is why it's so successful.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
This mikekelley character is onto something. Quit looking at award booking services from a FlyerTalk perspective. For most people it's worth paying a few hundred bucks for a service like that. For instance, to book my most recent RTW award (DFW-LHR-AUH-DOH-BKK-HKG-LAX-DFW) I had to do four searches on three websites to find availability. Many FTers would immediately know how to do that but there's no way the average person who isn't waist-deep in this stuff would have any clue where to even begin.

I briefly tried to start my own service but because my blog audience was mostly FTers at the time, I ended up being asked to do the bookings they couldn't do after trying everything on their own. An award booking company needs to have a ton of easy bookings to offset the amount of time and resources spent on booking the really hard ones. Ben's service has that blend, which is why it's so successful.
I sincerely hope Ben isn't taking $150 to book a domestic, non-saver award for anyone.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by josephstern
I sincerely hope Ben isn't taking $150 to book a domestic, non-saver award for anyone.
Well you can always call and ask what he charges for that and then you will know and can post the answer.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
My point was that this is a very labor-intensive/time consuming business. And lots of people are now doing it. A thousand requests yields less than $150,000 after taxes, helper salaries etc. Good job for a recent college graduate. Not so much for a career.
150k sounds pretty damn good to me and I'm not a recent college grad. I think you're out of touch with how much money most people are actually making.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
Well you can always call and ask what he charges for that and then you will know and can post the answer.
Pretty sure that's what he charges for such a situation.

I just hope that no one actually uses the service for an award as easy to book as that.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by josephstern
Pretty sure that's what he charges for such a situation.

I just hope that no one actually uses the service for an award as easy to book as that.
Hopefully not though I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there has done it. Looks like current pricing starts at $200 for the first passenger, $100 per additional passenger on the same trip, $50 for infants. The site states higher prices may apply for more complex trips with multiple tickets. There is a $100 surcharge for Korean Air bookings.

http://pointspros.com/pricing/

Of course Lucky also earns lots of miles for award bookings, with most of the cash fees/surcharges portion of awards being paid with Lucky's credit card and reimbursed by the customer. Think of some of the several hundreds of bucks per person in fuel surcharges, APD taxes, etc. that some programs charge.

Also, not sure if this is new, but they apparently are advertising some sort of Small Business Services:

While our core services are geared towards individual travelers, we also offer a custom suite of options designed for small businesses:

Do you own a small/medium sized business and pay for your employees travel?
Does your company book last minute or refundable tickets for employees?
Do you often pay for full or nearly full-fare Economy tickets and wish you could offer Business Class to your employees while still saving money?

If you answered YES to any of the above questions then PointsPros SMALL BUSINESS can help!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
I should start up a rival blog called "The Honest Guy". The first post would be, "Points Bloggers Are Not On Your Side: First Class and Traveling Was Never and Will Never Be Free".

It would delve into:

1. Why points bloggers push credit cards so much
2. Why point blogger claims of "Free First Class travel" are bogus
3. How, in actuality, points bloggers fund their first class trips every week (Hint: It's not credit card points)
4. The devaluation of miles and lessening of redemption rates
5. The dangers of having too many credit cards and churning
etc.

The next post would be about getting into first class for cheap, not for free. Yes, there are still a few methods that don't involve jumping into an ocean trench of debt.

-LPDAL
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
150k sounds pretty damn good to me and I'm not a recent college grad. I think you're out of touch with how much money most people are actually making.
I mentioned that taxes, expenses and salaries of assistants have to be deducted from this. Another poster said his business "makes a lot." A "lot" would not remain after the necessary deductions.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by JetAway
I meant Ben's business expense-as in paying for an employee's business travels.
I noted that before. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25686049-post1120.html
His ex-boyfriend wrote for the blog when they dated as well. Seems to be his MO.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
I noted that before. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25686049-post1120.html
His ex-boyfriend wrote for the blog when they dated as well. Seems to be his MO.
Not sure if you noticed my post earlier where I pointed out that his ex came back as a guest writer to cover the new AS lounge just recently. Within 24 hours his ex's name was removed as the author, replaced with Lucky's name, and then the story was changed to one written by Lucky w/ quotes from his ex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.