Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpapadop
The comment about deducting a late model Ford was hilarious, well played, well played!

This is not a hobby when you open a separate bank account in the name of the blog :-)

I'll be announcing a special trip soon and I'll be deducting the crap out of it! I am a CPA, I think I can justify my expenses in case of an audit.

What I don't get is that The Points Guy Inc. has PR staff on payroll and Ben just creams him in comparison!
Seems obvious to me - TPG blog is just sanitized, nonsense trip reports with no color or humor or interesting details. Just lots of links in an over-produced format. Most reports probably originate in wikipedia instead of actual travel.

While we might all complain about OMAAT, at least it generally has truly original content.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
truly original content.
Because 17 reports in LH First, 20 in CX First, 15 EK First, 10 of Andaz Hollywood, etc... is truly original content? He has found a way to find a tax deduction on his lifestyle. You start to see that the reason he repeats these products isn't for the readers... it's so he can visit his boyfriend in LA or take his friends/family/boyfriend on vacation. There is the occasional report that is unique, but they aren't as frequent as they use to be.. but hey.. if he is making $$$ it doesn't really matter right? I think most are skeptical after he asked people where he should live and then picked Seattle.

Last edited by Astrophsx; Dec 3, 2015 at 8:41 am
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not arguing that it's all original, but have you compared it to TPG's stuff?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
He has found a way to find a tax deduction on his lifestyle.
Bingo. Though, I would take it a step further and presume that PointsPros also pays for a trip here and there as a "legit" (sorry, couldn't write that with a straight face) business expense - after all, can't expect the "experts" to be able to do their jobs without experiencing the goods.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, tax deduction against what? Has to be against income, right?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: UA
Income is not that hard. Credit card referrals are a big business, it might dry up one day but until this is the case it just keeps on giving.
Look at this blog article here from 2012, he made 4k per month without even trying hard or doing big advertisements for credit cards. Also smaller audience and geared towards different people. A travel blog's primary audience all looks into credit cards.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/...dom-of-speech/

It is big business, probably not mega big but big enough and I am sure Ben makes more then a lot of people that post here. He started the blog early and I doubt he had a big plan to make a lot of money but latest when he finished his college degree and decided not to join the work force he probably had enough revenue already with the award booking service, adwords on the blog and credit card referrals to compare it to a 'regular' job.

This is the new economy. and there are a lot more examples I talked to my 10 year old about the youtube videos he is watching (other people playing video games, I don't get it myself but I am old) and one of the guys he watches (PewDiePie) made 7 million in 2014:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...youtube-views/
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by German Expat
Income is not that hard. Credit card referrals are a big business, it might dry up one day but until this is the case it just keeps on giving.
Look at this blog article here from 2012, he made 4k per month without even trying hard or doing big advertisements for credit cards. Also smaller audience and geared towards different people. A travel blog's primary audience all looks into credit cards.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/...dom-of-speech/

It is big business, probably not mega big but big enough and I am sure Ben makes more then a lot of people that post here. He started the blog early and I doubt he had a big plan to make a lot of money but latest when he finished his college degree and decided not to join the work force he probably had enough revenue already with the award booking service, adwords on the blog and credit card referrals to compare it to a 'regular' job.

This is the new economy. and there are a lot more examples I talked to my 10 year old about the youtube videos he is watching (other people playing video games, I don't get it myself but I am old) and one of the guys he watches (PewDiePie) made 7 million in 2014:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...youtube-views/
PewDiePie is the top dog in that space. Anytime you pick the top dog in any industry/space, they're going to make big bucks. There are millions of travel bloggers, very few of whom probably make more than $100 bucks a month.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by TMM1982
PewDiePie is the top dog in that space. Anytime you pick the top dog in any industry/space, they're going to make big bucks. There are millions of travel bloggers, very few of whom probably make more than $100 bucks a month.
Except that Ben, Gary, and Brian are the top dogs...
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Also, a certain "Dan."
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
So 4 guys out of the million or so travel bloggers that exist make a good living for themselves. What's wrong with that?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:17 am

So 4 guys out of the million or so travel bloggers that exist make a good living for themselves. What's wrong with that?
I think you mean to say a GREAT living. There are many other travel bloggers that do very well (Like MommyPoints)... then there are probably even even more that do pretty decent.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I think you mean to say a GREAT living.
In terms of money, yes. But do you want that lifestyle? Always in the air and in a new hotel? I love to travel but I don't want to do it 340 days out of the year, would seriously wear me out.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:51 am

In terms of money, yes. But do you want that lifestyle? Always in the air and in a new hotel? I love to travel but I don't want to do it 340 days out of the year, would seriously wear me out.
That's one person.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
The Citi push is on for all the new readers!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
VFTW keeps his day job and still manages to post 5 to 10 times a day. I have no idea how, but he does it. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.