Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Lavish? Not after suffering through that horrible, miserable, inhuman flight in BA business class!
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Meow.
I'll take that as "I can't defend Ford any longer" response.
I wasn't defending him so much as calling out your jumping to unsupported conclusions in a catty way.

I don't know Ford, you don't know Ford. To jump to the conclusion he is a "kept man" is ludicrous. Maybe he is working on a doctoral dissertation, something he could easily do and travel. Or maybe he hasn't taken a vacation in 4 years and has a lot of accrued time. Maybe he has family money and doesn't work. Who knows? To keep asserting your conclusion is indisputably right based on some trip reports is inane
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
Or maybe a reader can put 2 and 2 together and reasonably conclude that he is being treated to a number of very high-end trips that would leave little time for a doctoral dissertation or performance of an actual job.
Or maybe the requirements for completing an advanced degree or performance of any kind of meaningful work has become ridiculously simple.
Who knows?
I'm guessing he is a professional "blogger", which is concerning given his writing skills.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I wasn't defending him so much as calling out your jumping to unsupported conclusions in a catty way.

I don't know Ford, you don't know Ford. To jump to the conclusion he is a "kept man" is ludicrous. Maybe he is working on a doctoral dissertation, something he could easily do and travel. Or maybe he hasn't taken a vacation in 4 years and has a lot of accrued time. Maybe he has family money and doesn't work. Who knows? To keep asserting your conclusion is indisputably right based on some trip reports is inane
Ford is a tech recruiter and only graduated undergrad a year ago. I suspect he's making 40k a year which would make him a kept man.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ford-beckett-537645b6
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Ford is a tech recruiter and only graduated undergrad a year ago. I suspect he's making 40k a year which would make him a kept man.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ford-beckett-537645b6
His family clearly has money too.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
His family clearly has money too.
Yup Exeter pretty much confirms that. But you could tell by his whiny entitled tone of his BA J review.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:30 am

Exeter is expensive but offers financial aid to some. Regardless, plenty of families splurge on education but little else. I'll bet the vast majority of Exeter students have never flown first class.

What boggles my mind is why the OMAAT bio for Ford mentions Exeter at all. He is a college graduate and a working professional. At this point, as they say, nobody cares about your high school.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by davie355
Exeter is expensive but offers financial aid to some. Regardless, plenty of families splurge on education but little else. I'll bet the vast majority of Exeter students have never flown first class.

What boggles my mind is why the OMAAT bio for Ford mentions Exeter at all. He is a college graduate and a working professional. At this point, as they say, nobody cares about your high school.
I think it's because his education is more impressive than his job. If I had to guess, he didn't excel at Brown.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Can't believe some of the comments in here. You don't like it, don't read it. Would you say this stuff to the guy's face if you met him? The site is still an amazing resource.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Can't believe some of the comments in here. You don't like it, don't read it. Would you say this stuff to the guy's face if you met him? The site is still an amazing resource.
While I agree with your assessment of the current comments, I do question why you feel it is an amazing resource.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:07 pm

I've found all of his past TRs quite valuable when planning a trip, and if you google anything airline/miles related his blog usually comes up with a pretty good answer.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Even if Ford IS a kept man, who cares? As long as people are of age and no one is being held against their will or abused what goes on in a relationship is between those two only as far as I'm concerned. Good for Ford and good for Lucky.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Would you say this stuff to the guy's face if you met him?
Probably. I would ask what his qualifications are to be writing travel blogs.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:25 pm

What, do you need a degree in English to write a travel blog? Welcome to the age of the internet where anyone can say anything. It's amazing and terrible, but shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has been alive through the 2000s.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
What, do you need a degree in English to write a travel blog? Welcome to the age of the internet where anyone can say anything. It's amazing and terrible, but shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has been alive through the 2000s.
You don't need a degree in English to write a cogent, intelligent, and insightful blog posting. You do however need basic writing skills and a working familiarity with English grammar to make the blog worthwhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.