Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Except that Ben, Gary, and Brian are the top dogs...
FTG and MMS not ben and gary for credit cards

ben didnt invent "homeless" >
https://www.google.com/search?q=homeless+billionaire

i hope those using "hobbyist" are working on SEO

Originally Posted by kokonutz
VFTW keeps his day job and still manages to post 5 to 10 times a day. I have no idea how, but he does it. @:-)
probably a lot less time than posting on forums

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 4, 2015 at 9:38 pm
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Lot of tax experts in here
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Lot of tax experts in here
Thank goodness you're here to tell us what's what!

Last edited by iadisgreat; Dec 5, 2015 at 6:16 am
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by TMM1982
In terms of money, yes. But do you want that lifestyle? Always in the air and in a new hotel? I love to travel but I don't want to do it 340 days out of the year, would seriously wear me out.
Eh? No requirement to actually fly to run a points blog!

To be frank - and I mean this in all seriousness, and it is what I say to people who think I fly all the time - if I was flying long-haul once a week, it would become very boring very quickly.

And if it became boring - if I stopped getting a little thrill every time I walked into F (not US domestic F, clearly ) - then I will no longer have the enthusiasm to write about it and my site would start to die a slow death.

I was in Abu Dhabi / Qatar this week. Istanbul trying TK long haul in Feb. Probably New York with Virgin next May. That is it. Any other travel I do will be holidays with my family which I would be doing regardless. I may not be on a plane until February, although having done 4 flights in the last 3 days that will not sadden me.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
VFTW keeps his day job and still manages to post 5 to 10 times a day. I have no idea how, but he does it. @:-)
No kids

More seriously ... if you know your stuff, you can write very quickly. If you know off the top of your head the earning rate on every credit card, the redemption rate for most destinations in your main programme, the list of Amex transfer partners etc etc then what looks like an article which took 3 hours to research can be done in 15 minutes.

Obviously it takes you 10 years to get to the point where you know enough stuff to do that .....
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
No kids

More seriously ... if you know your stuff, you can write very quickly. If you know off the top of your head the earning rate on every credit card, the redemption rate for most destinations in your main programme, the list of Amex transfer partners etc etc then what looks like an article which took 3 hours to research can be done in 15 minutes.

Obviously it takes you 10 years to get to the point where you know enough stuff to do that .....
VFTW also doesn't waste any time with that proofreading nonsense.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:51 pm

Ford's review of his and Lucky's trip to London in CW has been posted and it has not been well received by readers, although a few minions have attempted to defend it.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by JetAway
Ford's review of his and Lucky's trip to London in CW has been posted and it has not been well received by readers, although a few minions have attempted to defend it.
Yikes.
Never lend money to a colleague, never let a friend drive drunk, and never let a boyfriend write on your blog.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:02 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Kid takes three premium class flights and is an expert. Oy. Painful.

Kid never sat in an old UA or current TG recliner. Kid never sat on an old AA or current LH or AF slidey seat. Kid has no perspective. Kid has no wisdom.

BA is no longer world class, but it beats the hell out of a lot of the competition, and comparing it to coach or even premium coach?

I've flown BA a bit lately at about $1400 for trans-A's. A very good seat for a very good price.

Kid flew it on his bf's dime and b!tches about it.

Kid's a naive fool. With a cruel boyfriend who exposed same. But they got clicks. Which is all that matters.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Kid takes three premium class flights and is an expert. Oy. Painful.

Kid never sat in an old UA or current TG recliner. Kid never sat on an old AA or current LH or AF slidey seat. Kid has no perspective. Kid has no wisdom.

BA is no longer world class, but it beats the hell out of a lot of the competition, and comparing it to coach or even premium coach?

I've flown BA a bit lately at about $1400 for trans-A's. A very good seat for a very good price.

Kid flew it on his bf's dime and b!tches about it.

Kid's a naive fool. With a cruel boyfriend who exposed same. But they got clicks. Which is all that matters.
The only reason that review was written was for the write off. Take a look at Ford's instagram, that guy has never flown coach before in his life.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I actually appreciated this comment the most:

limelight says:

December 5, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I’ve been reading – and benefiting – from this blog, pretty much since the beginning. (I remember when you used to get excited about staying at a Holiday Inn, Ben…) I’m seriously grateful for all the advice. But I think, alas, this blog and I, we’ve grown apart…

Thankfulness has to mean something. Not just a cut and paste paragraph, before the complaints. Something that changes you and your life. My partner spent most of this year working in a slum in Africa. She almost died a few times. She got back safe. I’m thankful for that. Not that my ******* mimosa’s served with a smile.

Ben, you’re incredibly successful, and you’ve earned every bit of it. If you’re not a millionaire, you will be soon. But many of us readers haven’t had that journey. I used to fly up front – now my money goes to taking care of my parents. I’ll take coach any day, and roll my eyes only a little, at such complaints as yours. I’m still one of the lucky ones. A fair few of your readers, I know, ended up in a lot of debt because of those credit cards you sold them on.

Paying a thousand bucks for a hotel room? Calling a $1500 flight ‘cheap’? That’s your life, but not mine. I think you’ve forgotten that most of us can’t live like that. Yep, BA J is pretty bad. But the poor little rich boy pose – well, if’s played out.

Thanks for everything, and best of luck with the world.
At first I thought Ford's contributions were going to be a refreshing change of perspective but that's definitely not turned out to be the case.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I actually don't think the comments are that harsh, but many in the comment section seem to be flipping out...
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I actually don't think the comments are that harsh, but many in the comment section seem to be flipping out...
I noticed that Ford hasn't replied to any comments.

It does feel like the two of them are trying to out b!tch each other.

As long as they are happy, I suppose.

It would be a shame for OMAAT to go down the plughole.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Whatever my issues with Lucky are, I find some of the comments, especially the homophobic ones, shameful.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:01 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by 84fiero
At first I thought Ford's contributions were going to be a refreshing change of perspective but that's definitely not turned out to be the case.
Different perspectives can be refreshing for readers; and have the ability to be amazingly insightful.

I have always been very humbled by travel. Starting from the 1980s when I became very involved in the TWA Frequent Flyer program at the "ripe old" age of 12.

I won't post a link since I'm not writing here for "self-promotion," and this "blogging thing" has been relatively recent for me (and very focused on my personal interests...) -- but my favourite posts (by far) are by my #1 travel companion, my 13 year old daughter. (the posts are often short, but it's all her and her pictures, with a few notes referenced by me...) Just the title, says it all "Kyoto, Japan | Thoughts of a 13 year old." Nothing gets me more excited than sharing my love of travel, people and the world with my kids. I always encourage my kids to take photos, make notes of their experiences and sketch pictures. Sort of amazing the things they notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.