One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Except in this case it's only substandard to a small group of fringe FTers, by all accounts it seems like his traffic has never been higher, nor his reach further.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikekelley
Except in this case it's only substandard to a small group of fringe FTers, by all accounts it seems like his traffic has never been higher, nor his reach further.
When I voice my opinion, I'm only speaking for myself. So if I personally feel that its substandard, it's perfectly okay to say so. And it's perfectly okay for you to disagree with me.

And while I think Ben still does an okay job, I was taking more exception with Ford's blogs. And I think Ford's blogs are substandard to more than just a "small group of fringe FTers." He's unqualified to write for that site and should stick to his tech recruiting job and living the fabulous gay lifestyle.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I have read Ben's blog for years, starting back when he was still in college doing mileage runs on UA on the weekends. I cannot argue that his blog has changed in the past year or so, and mostly not for the better.

What I will say, though, is that--especially when I first started getting involved in travel / points--I could ask Ben even the simplest question and know he would answer politely and patiently. I believe this remains true today and will make me a fan of him, even if I am no longer as much a fan of his blog (although I do believe he still posts a lot of content that is very useful). On the other hand, I have seen the way many newbies and their questions are treated here on FT, particularly in certain fora. There is no lack of self-centered importance, "unworldliness," or snark on FT, at least in my personal opinion.

Adam, while I enjoy your blog and appreciate your perspective, I would argue that even if Ben is not worldly by your definition, he knows enough about the world to run a successful business, make a living doing what he loves everyday, attract readers and public recognition, and perhaps even maintain a relationship along the way. Of course, I don't presume to know everything about the way the world works, and you may think me unworldly, but I don't think Ben's alleged unworldliness is hurting him in any way, whereas it clearly seems to raise your blood pressure
I only raised Bens worldliness in the context of defending Ford actually. Someone was arguing that Ford was unqualified because of his income and life experience and comparing him to Ben, and I wanted to point out Ben is hardly someone I would say has really seen the gritty side of the world.

As for FT snark v. Bens lack of snark, there's a good reason. Ben is making money off answering questions and throwing in a credit card link. FTers are not. Ben is a travel agent. FT is not. The comparison is inapt. Ft has also changed in this regard over the past several years because people like Ben have misled people into thinking that "you too can travel the world for free it's so easy" and they come here expecting people to make it easy for them.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I only raised Bens worldliness in the context of defending Ford actually. Someone was arguing that Ford was unqualified because of his income and life experience and comparing him to Ben, and I wanted to point out Ben is hardly someone I would say has really seen the gritty side of the world.
You're contradicting yourself. You say Ben hasn't seen the gritty side of the world but you somehow think Ford has? A 23 year old who comes from privilege, went to Exeter and Brown University, and now works as a tech recruiter. That's seeing the gritty side of the world to you?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TMM1982
You're contradicting yourself. You say Ben hasn't seen the gritty side of the world but you somehow think Ford has? A 23 year old who comes from privilege, went to Exeter and Brown University, and now works as a tech recruiter. That's seeing the gritty side of the world to you?
No I'm saying it's irrelevant.
Neither of them have.

Just like whether Ford is gay or not has nothing to do with his post quality.

And your repeated invocation of the term "the gay lifestyle " when it's been made clear that's offensive is really telling.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
You guys, I am still angry I did not win the One Direction tickets!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:04 am
Suspended

Just like whether Ford is gay or not has nothing to do with his post quality.
You're right, his post quality is garbage regardless of his sexual orientation.

And your repeated invocation of the term "the gay lifestyle " when it's been made clear that's offensive is really telling.
It's only been made clear by you. Certainly not the majority. And just FYI, it's not "the gay lifestyle," it's "the fabulous gay lifestyle."
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TMM1982
It's only been made clear by you. Certainly not the majority. And just FYI, it's not "the gay lifestyle," it's "the fabulous gay lifestyle."
I agree with Adam on this. It's offensive because it stereotypes and is often used to paint a certain picture of gay people that is not indicative of the vast majority of gay men or women.

It's truly sad that the question of Ben's sexual orientation even comes up as an issue. If Ben were straight, I'm sure no one would make comments like "expatiation on the straight lifestyle doesn't interest me."
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
It's truly sad that the question of Ben's sexual orientation even comes up as an issue. If Ben were straight, I'm sure no one would make comments like "expatiation on the straight lifestyle doesn't interest me."
Once again, my attack is not on Ben. It's on Ford who writes horrendous "blogs". I'm sure Ben has received this complaint many times and yet he continues to let his unqualified boyfriend write blogs. It's a terrible business decision and we are simply alerting him to this fact.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
As far as OMAAT's personal life as portrayed by Ben and discussed in blog comments and elsewhere, he certainly muddies the waters as he discusses personal matters such as medical issues, solicits reader inputs on where to live/move to, and of course posted a pic of his dirty underwear and other clothes

Last edited by 84fiero; Dec 17, 2015 at 7:34 am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
As far as OMAAT's personal life as portrayed by Ben and discussed in blog comments and elsewhere, he certainly muddies the waters as he discusses personal matters such as medical issues, solicits reader inputs on where to live/move to, and of course posted a pic of his dirty underwear and other clothes
Ewwwww
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Fair, but I don't see how any of those are exclusive or representative of a so-called "gay lifestyle" or why those types of posts should prompt the types of sexually charged comments that are made on other posts on the blog.

Again, if Ben were straight and posted about medical issues, or solicited reader input about where to move, or posted a picture of his messy room, I don't think people would be making comments about his "straight lifestyle."
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:18 am

"Offensive" is a very subjective and personal term. Unfortunately, it's reached the point in this country where someone somewhere is going to be "offended" by something. Seriously, it's time for everyone to thicken their skin. A favorite saying I still remember from childhood is spot-on," Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me."
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
"Offensive" is a very subjective and personal term. Unfortunately, it's reached the point in this country where someone somewhere is going to be "offended" by something. Seriously, it's time for everyone to thicken their skin. A favorite saying I still remember from childhood is spot-on," Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me."
I would agree with you if words were just words, but I am of the philosophical bent that believes that language and discourse are related to dynamics of power and human action, which as you say "breaks bones." The problem, at least in my mind, with a phrase such as "the gay lifestyle" is that it creates a discourse that legitimizes a sort of discrimination that to me is not acceptable.

To take another example, if words were just words, I'd argue that groups like ISIS would not be able to use social media to do what they have been able to do and create a far flung network of followers that have taken hundreds of real lives all over the world.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.