Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I would agree with you if words were just words, but I am of the philosophical bent that believes that language and discourse are related to dynamics of power and human action, which as you say "breaks bones." The problem, at least in my mind, with a phrase such as "the gay lifestyle" is that it creates a discourse that legitimizes a sort of discrimination that to me is not acceptable.

To take another example, if words were just words, I'd argue that groups like ISIS would not be able to use social media to do what they have been able to do and create a far flung network of followers that have taken hundreds of real lives all over the world.
And you're certainly entitled to your opinion sir
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Yep
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Colin
Exactly. What an apt description for this entire thread.

And just to set the record straight, I never claimed I was right.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Some of the substantive information presented is just flat wrong. The claim that I find so wrong as to be almost offensive is the one to the effect that the blog isn't much of a "resource." In fact, much of what's on the blog is exactly that including, incontestably, the series of nine posts on the Prestige Card's fourth-night-free hotel benefit (indexed in a Dec. 4 post). There's loads of other stuff, too, obviously.
I find this comment very telling. Quantity does not equal quality. He couldn't do it in one, maybe two posts? He really needed nine posts to cover one benefit?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skunker
He really needed nine posts to cover one benefit?
9 blogs to sell more Prestige Cards is better than 2 right?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I would agree with you if words were just words, but I am of the philosophical bent that believes that language and discourse are related to dynamics of power and human action, which as you say "breaks bones." The problem, at least in my mind, with a phrase such as "the gay lifestyle" is that it creates a discourse that legitimizes a sort of discrimination that to me is not acceptable.

To take another example, if words were just words, I'd argue that groups like ISIS would not be able to use social media to do what they have been able to do and create a far flung network of followers that have taken hundreds of real lives all over the world.
And you're certainly entitled to your opinion sir

Sure, it's just my opinion that it's offensive. But I believe in discourse where I try to avoid gratuitously using a term that someone has told me they find offensive. Use it once, and maybe you don't realize that "the gay lifestyle"- which is what you said - is a loaded term long considered derogatory, particularly in light of the history of labeling homosexuality a "lifestyle choice" and the use of that as a defense for outright discrimination.
Words carry meaning. Here, you haven't identified any thing that Ford has done that is unique to his sexual orientation. There are plenty of "kept" straight women, and plenty of bad straight bloggers.

As for the retort "that's your opinion", duh, so is this entire thread.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Sure, it's just my opinion that it's offensive. But I believe in discourse where I try to avoid gratuitously using a term that someone has told me they find offensive. Use it once, and maybe you don't realize that "the gay lifestyle"- which is what you said - is a loaded term long considered derogatory, particularly in light of the history of labeling homosexuality a "lifestyle choice" and the use of that as a defense for outright discrimination.
Words carry meaning. Here, you haven't identified any thing that Ford has done that is unique to his sexual orientation. There are plenty of "kept" straight women, and plenty of bad straight bloggers.

In today's society, everyone is offended by something. If I refrained from using words and doing actions that people considered offensive, I'd have to duck tape my mouth and sit still in a chair for the rest of my life. And I'm sure would still manage to get their feathers ruffled by it.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
In today's society, everyone is offended by something. If I refrained from using words and doing actions that people considered offensive, I'd have to duck tape my mouth and sit still in a chair for the rest of my life. And I'm sure would still manage to get their feathers ruffled by it.
I'm gay but I don't find your use of the term offensive. Perhaps if I heard you verbalize it in a sneering tone or if you used it in a more jarringly nasty way I might feel differently.
However, why not just accept that some language is offensive to some, try to understand where their experience of the term is different than yours, and adjust? It doesn't take extra effort on your part despite the overly dramatic way you suggest you would have to live your life.
I agree that there is definitely a propensity for many people of all stripes to be constantly offended, and I agree that "PC" can go way to far to stifle communication, but I also believe that people can just try to understand and respect others in a normal course of communication.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
After 1404 posts, let us put aside the lifestyle, cc touting, less then smart mix of personal/business posts, the "Hobby" personality issues etc. and focus on the core of the blog. Tips and tricks, travel with Lucky is the title.

I get the travel part, that's the trip reports:
- major gripe: teasers then slow to complete and post past (porto)/present trips

About the tips:
from a newbie CNN/dailymail/rollingstone perspective i'm missing something basic:
- explanation indepth about fare classes, differences award/paid, the letters used by AA/DL/UA and partners, rebooking/validity/fees/cancellation/restitution/rerouting/endorsements/reading the complete letter code, what to do/call/act if
- codeshares about fares recalculating/different booking classes behind the letter, whom is responsible for cancellation, rerouting, luggage mishaps, interlining etc.

About tricks:
I can't advise, otherwise i would be writing the blog instead.
- But it gets on my nerves with the last sentence "what would you do?" Click generator that's being used on all insideflyer websites aswell. A wellwritten article ends with a conclusion and must invite on its own a response from the reader.
- the christmas gift list / 9 travel essentials
I appreciate advise on making travel easier but not when shamelessly promoting a product and mentioning CC X will get you more points - click here again. Just say:"I use this product" pro/con. Hopefully we will not get more productplacements, blatant advertising masquerading as advice.

Last edited by HadesNL; Dec 17, 2015 at 12:48 pm
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:58 pm

A. It's duct tape, not duck tape.
B. If everything you say offends someone, the problem is you. The excuse that "the world is PC" is a refusal to take personal responsibility. I have greater faith in you that you can avoid being offensive -- particularly when you've been told that a term is offensive.
C. If this - that you are unwilling to learn from people and do not care about being offensive to others- is your world view, youre certainly entitled to do so. Just be prepared for the fact that the opinions people will form of you and your character will likely be negative. I am personally not hypervigilant about PC language. It offended me a little bit, but I assumed you just didn't realize that that phrase has been considered derogatory for about 25 years. What reflects much worse upon you is your continued use and defense of it. That's not speaking your mind, that's a reflection of your character.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
A. It's duct tape, not duck tape.
Sometimes it's both.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

...is your world view, youre certainly entitled to do so. Just be prepared for the fact that the opinions people will form of you and your character will likely be negative.
It's you're, not youre

That's not speaking your mind, that's a reflection of your character.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion brother.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:35 pm

...is your world view, youre certainly entitled to do so. Just be prepared for the fact that the opinions people will form of you and your character will likely be negative.
It's you're, not youre

That's not speaking your mind, that's a reflection of your character.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion brother.
I wasn't asking for your approval.
It's obvious you're just trying to be unpleasant, so back to OMAAT.

Always find it humorous when "experienced" travelers equate new planes with better passenger experience, when in reality coach on new planes is often smaller pitch and seat width. Lucky never flies coach so he thinks new is better.

Last edited by Adam1222; Dec 17, 2015 at 7:46 pm
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by HadesNL
After 1404 posts, let us put aside the lifestyle, cc touting, less then smart mix of personal/business posts, the "Hobby" personality issues etc. and focus on the core of the blog. Tips and tricks, travel with Lucky is the title.
I would tend to agree. Enough on the BF and associated matter(s).

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:34 am
Suspended

Always find it humorous when "experienced" travelers equate new planes with better passenger experience, when in reality coach on new planes is often smaller pitch and seat width. Lucky never flies coach so he thinks new is better.
I would probably take the new seats just because the old ones can sometimes reek terribly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.