Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Read the post.

Whether sincere or not, I agree with those who point out that his position on the matter is awfully convenient!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Read the post.

Whether sincere or not, I agree with those who point out that his position on the matter is awfully convenient!
He only wrote about it because people on FT were making a mountain out of a molehill. While I hate Ford and don't like some of the things about OMaaT, the policies of the countries Ben decides to vacation in are irrelevant to me. Let the man vacation where he wants.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
He only wrote about it because people on FT were making a mountain out of a molehill. While I hate Ford and don't like some of the things about OMaaT, the policies of the countries Ben decides to vacation in are irrelevant to me. Let the man vacation where he wants.
Full disclosure: I'm a straight pro-gay rights man and have been to the Maldives and never gave a thought to their anti-gay laws.

Thing is: tourist areas local customs and laws go out the window. I've gotten pissed in Jordan during Ramadan, for example. So it's not like Ben is breaking any new ground, sitting in the front of the bus or at a segregated lunch counter.

But if there is a country that has laws against being a straight, agnostic middle aged man, I'm probably not going there. Unless it's in first class on a ME carrier staying at a resort on an upgrade.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokonutz
But if there is a country that has laws against being a straight, agnostic middle aged man, I'm probably not going there. Unless it's in first class on a ME carrier staying at a resort on an upgrade.
Sure but that's your personal choice. If you and Adam want to boycott the Maldives, go for it. Clearly Ben doesn't share your passion so can't we just let him enjoy some beautiful beaches in peace?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Well i am gay too and have been to the more sensitive countries like UAE(-DXB) and Maldives too. Although i know about the situation there i did have to visit once to experience and form an opinion about it. While there, i considered myself a guest in a country and not an entitled one so i adhere to local customs and regulations.

It's a shame some regimes are still conservative because the local people i met are all friendly and willing to forgo any bias if you express interest in their culture, history and culinary delights. In case of Lucky, to each their own style of vacation but as a (personality)journeytravelblogger i think he should at least post a notice that some countries have different laws / morals / social values which should be taken in account as a traveller. Example: pork products are discretely available upon request in UAE, polite bowing in Japan shows courtesy, handshake in Turkey means willing to accept what is discussed etc...

Anyway back to the regular program guys and gals; what do you think of his post about visiting Changsa China on Hainan Airlines low budget business class fare and how it credits to AS FFP ? Are we seeing a return to quality informative posts instead of sensationalists posts?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Whether I agree with Ben's position or not, I respect his perspective and don't really care where he decides to go and spend his money. If I refused to go everywhere that does not condone homosexuality, there wouldn't be many places I could go, including most places in the US. Moreover, Ben's blog is not about the politics of the places he visits but about tips and tricks relating to miles and points. I respect that.

Adam, I understand where you're coming from, and I may even agree with you, but you are not the authority on how a gay man should think or live his life. And calling someone's opinion garbage does not make your opinion any less garbage.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:11 pm

Sure but that's your personal choice. If you and Adam want to boycott the Maldives, go for it. Clearly Ben doesn't share your passion so can't we just let him enjoy some beautiful beaches in peace?
I think you missed my point/humor.

I was actually agreeing with Ben: premium travel trumps politics.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Thanks for contributing to the conversation so much with this insightful post. Clearly, I'm illiterate as opposed to a typo.

P.S. Technically, write and right are homophones, not homonyms.
They are homonyms, denotatively-speaking. Also. Need a Venn diagram for homonyms and homophones? Perhaps OMAAT should do a geographic homonym post, to keep to sourcing inspiration on FT.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 30, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Have you read my posts here? I said

"3) Your biggest platform is your blog. The criticism of you is not about *going* to these places, but rather going to them, blogging about them, and passing up the opportunity to educate your readers."

How is that saying he has to boycott the Maldives?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Whether I agree with Ben's position or not, I respect his perspective and don't really care where he decides to go and spend his money. If I refused to go everywhere that does not condone homosexuality, there wouldn't be many places I could go, including most places in the US. Moreover, Ben's blog is not about the politics of the places he visits but about tips and tricks relating to miles and points. I respect that.

Adam, I understand where you're coming from, and I may even agree with you, but you are not the authority on how a gay man should think or live his life. And calling someone's opinion garbage does not make your opinion any less garbage.

I never claimed I was "the authority." I was sharing my opinion and personal judgment. I'm certainly allowed to make moral judgments based on someone's actions, and I'm allowed to share them. You just did the exact same thing - making a judgment about what I posted. You are not the authority on what other people should or shouldn't say in criticizing the content of a blog post.

And Ben's blog is not about tips and tricks. It's an extremely personal blog selling a lifestyle. Again, note that this conversation started with BEN talking about a "romantic weekend."
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
...and passing up the opportunity to educate your readers."
Why would he do that? His blog is about traveling in style on the cheap through miles/points tricks.

Maybe you'd like to him to write this: "Folks, even though the Maldives is one of the most stunningly beautiful places on Earth, and you can travel hack your way to a week of paradise for next to no cost, you should know that you do run the risk of having your throat slit if you practice homosexuality. Buyer beware. Safe travels everyone."

That's what you want him to write?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Anyway back to the regular program guys and gals; what do you think of his post about visiting Changsa China on Hainan Airlines low budget business class fare and how it credits to AS FFP ? Are we seeing a return to quality informative posts instead of sensationalists posts?
Hainan is famous for starting obscure routes and discounting their C product heavily. They have a TXL-PEK route running for years that makes no sense.

AS FFP: I was thinking the other day when AS and AA will ditch EK and EY respectively to make a point in the current US3 vs ME3 mud slinging fest. If there are no option to redeem on EY or EK the focus of many blogs will go else where...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:34 am

Why would he do that? His blog is about traveling in style on the cheap through miles/points tricks.

Maybe you'd like to him to write this: "Folks, even though the Maldives is one of the most stunningly beautiful places on Earth, and you can travel hack your way to a week of paradise for next to no cost, you should know that you do run the risk of having your throat slit if you practice homosexuality. Buyer beware. Safe travels everyone."

That's what you want him to write?
I for one don't want him to write that because very little of it is true.

1) the Maldives is lovely and many of the resorts there are world-class and its cool to take a seaplane to a remote atoll. But I've seen far more beautiful beaches and islands in the Caribbean than your typical Madivian atoll.

2) one cannot travel hack a Maldivian vacation for next to no cost. Even if one can use points for the flight and hotel (and points are not free!) things are very very expensive at Madivian resorts. Food, booze, transfers, resort fees, activities. It can easily add up to thousands of dollars.

3) tourists are not at risk of having their throats slit for homosexual acts at resorts in the Maldives. Locals on Male are.

Finally, I disagree that omaat is about points and miles tricks anymore. These days it's more of a lifestyle blog. Which is why I quit reading it on a regular basis some time ago. YMMV!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:55 am
Suspended

Which Caribbean beach is better than the ones in the Maldives? The only place that comes close is St. Barts.

National Geographic Ranking
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:06 am

Which Caribbean beach is better than the ones in the Maldives? The only place that comes close is St. Barts.

National Geographic Ranking
This topic was discussed previously in this forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...-maldives.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.