One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
But that's exactly it. His blog is one of the more popular miles/points blog. He doesn't claim to be a vacation expert, cultural expert, or anything else.
Look at FTG and TPG, they both went on to try and feature destinations and then sold their blogs and continued to be involved... adding this made their sites a bit more well rounded. Maybe that is Ben's next step? Or, he could hire a really talented writer to do this. I feel like Mommy Points provides information on traveling with family and a bit about what one could do at a particular destination. I don't think TPG having guest writers has provided the site with quality content, though it is a resource to know what options are available to fly and stay at a particular destination for beginners.

Maybe if Ben becomes bored with covering first class travel he will grow and expand to destinations. Though, when you are use to a certain lifestyle of getting from A to B in luxury or free Uber ride it may be a bit difficult to get outside of your comfort zone. I definitely think Ben has this ability and would enjoy seeing him do this. Most of us have gone to these major international cities like he has, but to make a local connection and get an insider's view of a city and see his reactions of how the culture really is outside of the 5 star hotel. Even if it is a tiny sliver of what a city/country/culture has to offer.

Also, vlogging is really picking up steam on Youtube. A video diary would be kind of interesting to see as well.. but maybe that takes a certain type of personality.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
The Economist has picked up the story online http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...ile-collectors
Henceforth we will all be known as Hobbyists®™
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by ctownflyer

OMG I just read this. Part of a group called "The Hobbyists" WTH????? Do we have a secret handshake?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Actually, anyone using that term will be immediately identified as a wanna-be poser. @:-)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Look at FTG and TPG, they both went on to try and feature destinations and then sold their blogs and continued to be involved... adding this made their sites a bit more well rounded. Maybe that is Ben's next step? Or, he could hire a really talented writer to do this. I feel like Mommy Points provides information on traveling with family and a bit about what one could do at a particular destination. I don't think TPG having guest writers has provided the site with quality content, though it is a resource to know what options are available to fly and stay at a particular destination for beginners.

Maybe if Ben becomes bored with covering first class travel he will grow and expand to destinations. Though, when you are use to a certain lifestyle of getting from A to B in luxury or free Uber ride it may be a bit difficult to get outside of your comfort zone. I definitely think Ben has this ability and would enjoy seeing him do this. Most of us have gone to these major international cities like he has, but to make a local connection and get an insider's view of a city and see his reactions of how the culture really is outside of the 5 star hotel. Even if it is a tiny sliver of what a city/country/culture has to offer.

Also, vlogging is really picking up steam on Youtube. A video diary would be kind of interesting to see as well.. but maybe that takes a certain type of personality.
I would say that used to be the case. Once she got a taste of the good life (and credit card referrals), she changed from trips to grandma's to trips with her husband around the world in F and J. Not exactly family friendly.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
I would say that used to be the case. Once she got a taste of the good life (and credit card referrals), she changed from trips to grandma's to trips with her husband around the world in F and J. Not exactly family friendly.
Like almost every blog these days, it started out good. Then with increasing publicity (nightline etc) and likely commercial success, the blog mutated into something that was no longer what original readers were attracted to.

When she took 17 trips in one year with her kid and husband and the emphasis was increasingly on status and how important J/F was (some of which was done by RPU/GPU she did not earn herself), I tuned that blog out, too.

I have two kids and I've traveled the world with them and my wife. Some in J, much of it in Y, some paid, some awards and I honestly NEVER remember the flying portion in particular of any trip. The experiences on the ground however, I always remember.

Who earns enough miles for 3 vacations per year (doable) in F to faraway places at today's redemption rates? And who can find that availability during peak periods (cause that's when you fly when you have school age children)? Btw, here in TX, it is a crime to have your kids miss 10 days or more of school in any school year and trips are not excused absences. So unless one is lying to the school or home schooling, going on 17 trips during the school year will land one in court here in TX.

I think she has recently dialed back a little with #2 on the way (now amongst us) and #1 on the path to regular school, maybe the realization has set in that flying F everywhere 17 times annually is not an option.

But this story will repeat itself a many more times. I appreciate guys like Gary and Seth who have not really changed the content they blog about, have not brought on contributors and have not gone completely overboard with the elitist attitude and occasionally still spend some time discussing the destinations in a useful manner.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
But this story will repeat itself a many more times. I appreciate guys like Gary and Seth who have not really changed the content they blog about, have not brought on contributors and have not gone completely overboard with the elitist attitude and occasionally still spend some time discussing the destinations in a useful manner.
Do you really think that Gary's "Phase 1" content (roughly 2003-2011) is the same as his "Phase 2" content (roughly 2012-2015)?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Do you really think that Gary's "Phase 1" content (roughly 2003-2011) is the same as his "Phase 2" content (roughly 2012-2015)?
Not the same, but not nearly as different as OMaaT or MMP IMO.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:49 pm

Not the same, but not nearly as different as OMaaT or MMP IMO.
Really? Because I'm seeing a lot more daily posts where he is just providing links to other travel blog stories. He also never use to post several times a day and use a blog entry to reply to Ben's blog posts.

Most of it is due to him trying to post as often as possible each day, which a lot of travel blogs are doing.

Template:
Find interesting story, come up with a click-worthy title, write 1-2 paragraphs, end entry with a question for readers to respond to in the comments section, sprinkle in a few referral links if possible.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:55 pm

Really? Because I'm seeing a lot more daily posts where he is just providing links to other travel blog stories. He also never use to post several times a day and use a blog entry to reply to Ben's blog posts.

Most of it is due to him trying to post as often as possible each day, which a lot of travel blogs are doing.

Template:
Find interesting story, come up with a click-worthy title, write 1-2 paragraphs, end entry with a question for readers to respond to in the comments section, sprinkle in a few referral links if possible.
Gary's current blogging style may have a lot to do with recently moving to Austin and ramping up a new job which seems to keep him on the road a lot with domestic travel.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do love the constant tail on every blog entry from all of these guys: "What do you think? Do you like (first class; dogs on planes; Citibank; beach vacations)?"

Each time one of these bloggers drops into the formula (TPG, FTG, VFTW, OMAAT) they drop out of my blog reader. Makes sense - they don't want me either. They just want that new cc signup. I would if I were doing as well as them.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:02 pm

Like almost every blog these days, it started out good. Then with increasing publicity (nightline etc) and likely commercial success, the blog mutated into something that was no longer what original readers were attracted to.

When she took 17 trips in one year with her kid and husband and the emphasis was increasingly on status and how important J/F was (some of which was done by RPU/GPU she did not earn herself), I tuned that blog out, too.

I have two kids and I've traveled the world with them and my wife. Some in J, much of it in Y, some paid, some awards and I honestly NEVER remember the flying portion in particular of any trip. The experiences on the ground however, I always remember.

Who earns enough miles for 3 vacations per year (doable) in F to faraway places at today's redemption rates? And who can find that availability during peak periods (cause that's when you fly when you have school age children)? Btw, here in TX, it is a crime to have your kids miss 10 days or more of school in any school year and trips are not excused absences. So unless one is lying to the school or home schooling, going on 17 trips during the school year will land one in court here in TX.

I think she has recently dialed back a little with #2 on the way (now amongst us) and #1 on the path to regular school, maybe the realization has set in that flying F everywhere 17 times annually is not an option.

Summer had her girl #2 out (congrats to her), and I do feel for her that her husband got laid off and is on tougher new job
I'm sure she'll be swamped with girl #2, and at the same time trying to post something to keep pageview alive

Compared to other BA bloggers, she is still more family-oriented so I do relate more to her contents vs. Ben's (also because I don't care much about First class and he only flies First). Life of a millionaire
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
The Economist has picked up the story online http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...ile-collectors
My favorite quote "Such is his rock-star status within the airline industry that on one flight a member of cabin crew ushered him into an empty aisle and pleasured him" ...?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
My favorite quote "Such is his rock-star status within the airline industry that on one flight a member of cabin crew ushered him into an empty aisle and pleasured him" ...?
Since he flies on paid tickets a lot maybe it's an Elite benefit? 😉
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
For a number of reasons I don't believe this "event" happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.