Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: BA (Gold), AA (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Sounder
This is pretty common knowledge on FT, I'm sure someone who follows the saga of Ben a little more closely can point you to a source.

I'm honestly surprised UA just stopped at banning him from the airline and that's it. Outright theft of several thousand dollars in services should get a person in some kind of legal trouble one would think.
That holds no significance at all. "Common knowledge" is just a word for hearsay and rumour. It may be true, but unless there is evidence, its bordering slanderous. Especially when you make a comment like your second sentence. You have no idea what the true story is and you should never think of "common knowledge" as fact to form an opinion like the one you have made.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Jackspoint
That holds no significance at all. "Common knowledge" is just a word for hearsay and rumour. It may be true, but unless there is evidence, its bordering slanderous. Especially when you make a comment like your second sentence. You have no idea what the true story is and you should never think of "common knowledge" as fact to form an opinion like the one you have made.
The story is fairly well documented on another IBB. Seek and ye shall find. And then there is the quote from UA in the RS story that says they dont take action unless there is fraud or serious violations, which verifies that the shenanigans went well beyond complaining about inoperable lights and tray tables as the article implies.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk! ^
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
The story is fairly well documented on another IBB. Seek and ye shall find.
How very mysterious...

And then there is the quote from UA in the RS story that says they dont take action unless there is fraud or serious violations,
This is definitely true. However, the specifics are left out and what UA takes seriously is completely subjective. A quote from someone (even reputable) doesn't make a rumour true.

Whilst it's obvious that Ben was banned from United Airlines, it could be for any number of reasons. I do think that he should have been upfront about what actually happened (and that he was even banned) in the first place, especially when he is promoting a website that reviews products to help people make travel decisions. If he is unable to review a product, I think he has an obligation to let his readers know. Otherwise, it's like linking a credit card without a disclosure that you profit from it.

Regardless, what did or did not happen is unknown until evidence is provided. Either through Ben addressing the issue (which to my knowledge, he hasn't) or through something like a statement from UA.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk! ^
Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Jackspoint
This is definitely true. However, the specifics are left out and what UA takes seriously is completely subjective. A quote from someone (even reputable) doesn't make a rumour true.

Whilst it's obvious that Ben was banned from United Airlines, it could be for any number of reasons. I do think that he should have been upfront about what actually happened (and that he was even banned) in the first place, especially when he is promoting a website that reviews products to help people make travel decisions. If he is unable to review a product, I think he has an obligation to let his readers know. Otherwise, it's like linking a credit card without a disclosure that you profit from it.

Regardless, what did or did not happen is unknown until evidence is provided. Either through Ben addressing the issue (which to my knowledge, he hasn't) or through something like a statement from UA.
At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what the specifics were since, as stated by UA, it was a serious enough violation to garner a ban.

Which goes to your point about his reviews. To me, being unable to review UA and its mileage program, is a significant hole (though it has been occasionally filled a few times lately by contributor Nick). This is a disservice to the reader particularly when it wasn't made known why.

I recall, as I was still sort of following the blog at the time, when OMAAT suddenly fell in love with AA after having carried a flame for UA for years. There wasn't any explanation and it was as if UA no longer existed in the OMAAT blog world.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what the specifics were since, as stated by UA, it was a serious enough violation to garner a ban.

Which goes to your point about his reviews. To me, being unable to review UA and its mileage program, is a significant hole (though it has been occasionally filled a few times lately by contributor Nick). This is a disservice to the reader particularly when it wasn't made known why.

I recall, as I was still sort of following the blog at the time, when OMAAT suddenly fell in love with AA after having carried a flame for UA for years. There wasn't any explanation and it was as if UA no longer existed in the OMAAT blog world.
I agree.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:17 am

UA doesn't exist in most of the blogging world anymore (except for "Wandering" Seth). AA has managed to lure over most of them but it'll be interesting to see what happens if AA brings its program in line with UA and Delta. I expect there will be a blogging implosion.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

even if he has 100 free nights, thats 265 nights left in the year

Originally Posted by Rusdude
purchasing miles during deals (e.g. Alaska miles).

Furthermore, apparently his customers sometimes ask him to pay with his own card (I think, by his own admission he was a little surprised about that).

TL;DR - have a business where you can expense a lot
someone said that ben said he charges all clients' award ticket fees / fuel charges and gets reimbursed by them, which is both spend and bonus miles

he buys miles and pays for premium air when sale/mistake

he does 100K on AA every year

if he gets credit card bonuses from cards held by family/friends, which i think was said

Originally Posted by JetAway
It's possible he is charging his parents purchases and daily/monthly expenses to his cards as well as the taxes and misc. charges his award clients incur.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 25, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if he gets credit card bonuses from cards held by family/friends, which i think was said
This was my theory as a majority of cards now either have a 18/24 month wait period on new card bonuses or are limited to 1 signup bonus.

He directly responded to this question and said that he does help family members sign up for cards but has never used their miles for his own travel. He stated that in anything he uses his miles to help them travel and not the other way around.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

referral bonuses? not family members but friends?

"majority" - and some card companies may 'ok' certain churners?
along those lines, any relationship between affiliates and churning?

going back to free nights >
free nights are not limited to point awards
point awards can be less expensive awards
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
AA has managed to lure over most of them but it'll be interesting to see what happens if AA brings its program in line with UA and Delta.
It's not a matter of if but...when.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by gpapadop
It's not a matter of if but...when.
You have that right. Then the blogs like OMAAT will need to deal with the fallout. Personally the best info has always come from FT so I don't care if most of these blogs go away. Yours, gpapadop, is an exception, of course. I would hate to see an honest blog go away.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by mnscout
No matter how you feel about someone, it's always a good idea to try and refrain from rewriting history. Rick's blog was probably the first hobby blog I stumbled upon, with tonnes of original material. Saying that it "merely regurgitated" FT is foolish and baseless.
No, it's not. Look at my join date on this website, I've been around "the Hobby" at least two years before he admits he was. I'm well aware of the history and the version of events of this particular pastime.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Good on Ben. Makes a living out of what he likes doing. I'm pretty sure I do more award trips in F than Ben, but unfortunately I do it because I have to get somewhere. Great that Ben provides info on award travel to people for whom it would not otherwise be worth it to figure it out on their own
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by 5khours
Good on Ben. Makes a living out of what he likes doing. I'm pretty sure I do more award trips in F than Ben, but unfortunately I do it because I have to get somewhere. Great that Ben provides info on award travel to people for whom it would not otherwise be worth it to figure it out on their own
You do F awards because you have to get somewhere. Why is that unfortunate? All the F awards I do and I think 99% of people do is because they need to get somewhere. That could be for holiday or work or to visit family but it is redeeming awards and flying for a purpose, not just to fly. Many bloggers and also FT provide info on how to earn F awards. It's a little effort and yet there are many who won't bother because it is an effort. They are just not interested
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

has ben changed what he says for annual flown from 400K to 300K?

Originally Posted by 5khours
I'm pretty sure I do more award trips in F
a lot more, because he also does paid Y/J/F (and award Y/J?)

i think you are right that his blog (and vs others) is mostly F reports, for those who want to read those, whether for entertainment or to compare (not much comparison on blog?) award options, and who like the easiness of it versus going elsewhere for information. i cant imagine any of those readers are liking the new authors. im assuming the new authors are less to increase demographics and more to keep posting/clickbait up for those kinds of statistics.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 26, 2015 at 7:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.