One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
He was told he'd have some editorial control?

And he believed it?
I'm not sure what to think of the response. At the end of the day he is profiting from the article. The increased viewership drives ad traffic and increased credit card sign ups. He likes to say that the author of the article "cherry picked" and yet so does been when addressing some of the controversial content published. He does not address the fraud he committed to get where he is today. He's business savy and a decent writer. He is also a good salesman with twisting the truth or allowing others to twist the truth in his favor. I think the RS article has caused some backfire by having several other media outlets run with "his" story. I have to think that while financially this may be a blessing... I can't imagine having to go to these airline networking events knowing I was quoted calling people in the industry idiots and how I will always be one step ahead of him. So for all we can complain about the article and his impact to the hobby I think the article and media for Ben is both a blessing and a curse.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

And he believed it?
I wonder how his discussion with the writer about the "handy" was framed? Im not sure but I don't think that would be something he would want his Mom to read about. There were a lot of things in the article that made me cringe.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

And he believed it?
For someone supposedly so smart, and who has a degree in marketing, it's hard to fathom he was that clueless about it...especially being Rolling Stone. After the UVA debacle RS would be the last rag I'd choose for an all-access interview.

His discussion of the "executives are idiots" still doesn't come out and say it was a misquote, just that he only meant to refer to one of those people as an idiot within some other context.

If OMAAT is concerned about the "for free" message, Ben may want to exercise more oversight. This post by Nick trumpets

These days the simplest and perhaps easiest way is to apply for one of the many credit cards offering insanely generous sign-up bonuses. Depending on the card, you can get enough miles for a free international trip as soon as you complete the minimum spend.
[bolding mine]
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
For someone supposedly so smart, and who has a degree in marketing, it's hard to fathom he was that clueless about it...especially being Rolling Stone. After the UVA debacle RS would be the last rag I'd choose for an all-access interview.

His discussion of the "executives are idiots" still doesn't come out and say it was a misquote, just that he only meant to refer to one of those people as an idiot within some other context.

If OMAAT is concerned about the "for free" message, Ben may want to exercise more oversight. This post by Nick trumpets

[bolding mine]

I will say this for Ben his fanboys are very devoted. It makes me think of the "Leave Brittany Alone" you tube. Just insert Ben for Brittany. I did go to his site to read the excuses for the article as it came out. It really is a love fest from some of the fans comments.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
it's hard to fathom he was that clueless
you read his blog?

Originally Posted by cruisr
I will say this for Ben his fanboys are very devoted.
applies to everything these days. everything has to be a 'cult' etc.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by JetAway
In his latest post he says, with an example, that a lot of his new "clients" are simply people looking to travel for "free" which, he states emphatically, cannot be done. An interesting post, in which he attempts to clarify and clean up some of the unflattering and damaging aspects of the RS article. I have considerable sympathy for him on that score, given the enormous damage RS did to UVA with its false fraternity "rape" story.
RS apparently loves to print rape allegations with minimal fact checking. First Jackie, now the Krug and Tug.

I don't have a ton of sympathy for Ben. He's making a killing from that story. There's a price to be paid, for sure, especially for his 'idiots'comment. Maybe with all the dough he's raking in from the story he'll buy some media training.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
RS apparently loves to print rape allegations with minimal fact checking. First Jackie, now the Krug and Tug.

I don't have a ton of sympathy for Ben. He's making a killing from that story. There's a price to be paid, for sure, especially for his 'idiots'comment. Maybe with all the dough he's raking in from the story he'll buy some media training.
Do you think they made up the Krug and Tug? Wouldn't he have mentioned that in today's post (if it was made up by RS)
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m just a nerdy, plane-obsessed guy.

certainly wasn’t hundreds of dollars of chocolate...that’s a mild example

comment was made at a private event, before I knew there was a reporter in the room, and intended to be about one specific person...I don’t remember using that exact quote (which isn’t to say I didn’t, but I certainly don’t remember it). I do remember calling someone at a specific loyalty program an idiot

I spend a high percentage of my income on travel...I spend a lot of money on travel. A lot. I can assure you it actually costs me a lot of money

Travel isn’t free. Period...other bloggers who promote traveling being free. I’m not one of them, and never have been...Unlike others I’m not making a claim that travel is “free” or costs “just pennies,” though I certainly respect that approach.

by giving up paying rent, utilities, my car payment, insurance, etc., I’m conservatively saving $20k per year

I have a lot of reimbursable expenses...I have someone do my taxes
650k points $150k in reimbursable expenses...combined with my own spending
650,000+ in purchased points
600,000+ from credit card sign-up bonuses
500,000+ from hotel stays
450,000 AAdvantage miles...fly about 200,000 miles per year on American
100,000 miles from anniversary and threshold bonuses on cards I kept from the previous year.
100,000 from the flights I credited to Alaska
[= 3m+]

spent maybe $750 at Hilton properties this year
earned over 25,000 Hilton HHonors points

fly 400,000+ miles per year
spend cash to acquire >
- 300K air (including premium, even if deal)
- 500K hotel
- purchased miles/points
(some via portals/etc for spend bonus?)

150k reimbursed on 3X amex would be 450K
leaves 200K via "purchases, promos, and portals"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 26, 2015 at 8:10 pm
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
I used to read his trip reports in the beginning.. but when I realized that his focus was eating airplane food and hotel lounge food... and not the local cuisine, I was appalled. Such poor taste (literally!) masquerading as "expert travel advice"... why?? Someone like that has to know better.. or it's a deliberate joke on the readers.
I would have to agree.

I don't know if his blog is a "airplane and hotel blog" a "travel blog" or some kind of other blog.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:04 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Do you think they made up the Krug and Tug? Wouldn't he have mentioned that in today's post (if it was made up by RS)
Oh, I don't think the reporter made it up any more than I think the reporter made up the Jackie's rape allegation. JACKIE made up Jackie's rape allegation. RS simply printed it without doing adequate fact checking. @:-)

Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii
I would have to agree.

I don't know if his blog is a "airplane and hotel blog" a "travel blog" or some kind of other blog.
It's a transportation blog.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tiffany
We’ve helped people redeem nearly a billion miles

a large portion of our clientele doesn’t want to give out their credit card, and REALLY likes to write checks or reimburse us
living in hotels for 30 days per month is cheaper than spending 20 nights per month in hotels and the balance of nights at home

With American, it was about a 50/50 split between domestic and international flying.

I redeemed a total of roughly 1.5 million miles.
400,000 US Airways Dividend Miles through “Share Miles” promotions
"billion miles" / 100K (no idea, just using this) = 10,000 awards

a lot of FTers probably spend high percentage of income on travel
(and even higher percentage of discretionary income/savings/etc)
whats amazing is how different that spend can vary, within "travel"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 27, 2015 at 8:00 am
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And give it even more mileage?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To a large extent, Ben IS MEDIA. He talks to industry people, gets quotes, and publishes them on his blog. He reports news.

For him to complain that he didn't realize how this would work just rings hollow.

If he were a cave explorer and didn't realize that an article about him could publish everything they hear, maybe. But for a blogger? Disingenuous, at best.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I can't wait to get another follow up on the Korean Air executive, you know the one with the Nutgate incident
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:30 am

Wait a minute. He is claiming that his clients, who he has encouraged to apply for, get and use CCs do NOT want to give him (Points Pro) their CC info for an award ticket purchase that they could earn more miles (and perhaps bonus miles). They want to write a check? I find that really hard to believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.