One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:43 am
Suspended

Got it. As I suspected, you can't back up your criticisms with specific citations. Understood sir.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thinking out loud here...on a snowy Sunday morning...while drinking my hazelnut coffee at Panera....

When you look at posters' "Join Date" dates, can we make an assumption, in general, that posters who have joined recently tend to be more supportive of this OMAAT enterprise, compared to old timers? Maybe old timers are just tired of the same old crap? Or at least less tolerant of such crap and "homeless" lifestyle?

Go Ford, the company I mean ^

Discuss.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Thinking out loud here...on a snowy Sunday morning...while drinking my hazelnut coffee at Panera....

When you look at posters' "Join Date" dates, can we make an assumption, in general, that posters who have joined recently tend to be more supportive of this OMAAT enterprise, compared to old timers? Maybe old timers are just tired of the same old crap? Or at least less tolerant of such crap and "homeless" lifestyle?

Discuss.
Perhaps the old timers are of the thought that they could have done much the same thing as well or better. But most didn't even try; and some who did try didn't succeed as well. The proof is in the pudding.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 10, 2016 at 6:24 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Maybe some of the old timers prefer their current lifestyle much more instead and never wished such a thing with the price that has to be paid? The kid looks ten years older, no gracias! One of them bloggers will rest on the laurels of being one of two blogs recommended by Mile Nerd #priceless ^

Waiting breathlessly for the next "Ten best credit cards to use in an aboard shower"
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Maybe some of the old timers prefer their current lifestyle much more instead and never wished such a thing with the price that has to be paid? The kid looks ten years older, no gracias! One of them bloggers will rest on the laurels of being one of two blogs recommended by Mile Nerd #priceless ^

Waiting breathlessly for the next "Ten best credit cards to use in an aboard shower"
You're singing to the choir.

That said, if there's a legal market for it and someone can make it work for them and their audience, then it would make sense for someone to serve the market. OMAAT even gets our attention.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:22 am

I assume Lucky is burning double miles to haul Ford along on these trips (they are now in NZ). At some point the merry-go-round is going to stop. Revenue-based RDM earning is going to slow earning to a trickle unless more $$ are spent on high fares; the credit card companies are cutting back on their mega-bonuses; and apparently there was some sort of apocalypse for the manufactured spend crowd the other day. I do enjoy OMaaT and other blogs but I doubt most of them will still be there in 2-3 years.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by JetAway
I assume Lucky is burning double miles to haul Ford along on these trips (they are now in NZ). At some point the merry-go-round is going to stop. Revenue-based RDM earning is going to slow earning to a trickle unless more $$ are spent on high fares; the credit card companies are cutting back on their mega-bonuses; and apparently there was some sort of apocalypse for the manufactured spend crowd the other day. I do enjoy OMaaT and other blogs but I doubt most of them will still be there in 2-3 years.
Yes, with Ford along Ben's math has to change. Not just because it's double the miles but because getting 2 award seats is exponentially more difficult than getting one. And if you look at his 2016 plans it includes lots of business class rather than first on airlines that often offer decent business class fares rather than mile redemptions, theBA business class trip that Ford compared to coach being a good example. @:-)

The nice thing for Ben and Fore is that the cheap business class fares often start in the subcontinent or Europe. And so the homeless lifestyle is terrific for positioning around those fares.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
That last item hits the nail on the head. As has been noted here many times, Ben's businesses now create a decent cash flow, and buying fares ex places like Colombo, Cairo and Stockholm can make those dollars stretch practically to infinity -- or pretty far, anyway. In the past couple of weeks, for example, he blogged about an ex-Colombo fare as part of the NZ trip. None of that is my cup of tea, or anywhere even close, obviously. I mean, really, who wants to go "to" (i.e., through) Colombo?

Had I but world enough and time . . . .

But as for me, my "join date" is a little misleading. I read here for quite some time before joining. Also (and as many of you already know) I've read virtually all Ben's blog posts since inception. It's been a little downhill for me since that great La Compagnie review, I'll concede, but let's keep this in perspective: has anyone tried, really tried hard, to read, say, TPG, lately? I'd rather read Ben's Dubai posts . . . which is saying a lot.

(As a very small "cultural" footnote, for anyone who cares, I once worked with a Tamil financial officer who on several occasions explained to me in historical, logical, political, and practical detail why blowing up school buses was ok. Sri Lanka is no doubt fascinating from many perspectives, in other words. So my sarcastic comment above was meant tongue in cheek. Mostly. Oh, and the reference in the next paragraph is from the first line of To His Coy Mistress.)
Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
That last item hits the nail on the head. As has been noted here many times, Ben's businesses now create a decent cash flow, and buying fares ex places like Colombo, Cairo and Stockholm can make those dollars stretch practically to infinity -- or pretty far, anyway. In the past couple of weeks, for example, he blogged about an ex-Colombo fare as part of the NZ trip. None of that is my cup of tea, or anywhere even close, obviously. I mean, really, who wants to go "to" (i.e., through) Colombo?

Had I but world enough and time . . . .

But as for me, my "join date" is a little misleading. I read here for quite some time before joining. Also (and as many of you already know) I've read virtually all Ben's blog posts since inception. It's been a little downhill for me since that great La Compagnie review, I'll concede, but let's keep this in perspective: has anyone tried, really tried hard, to read, say, TPG, lately? I'd rather read Ben's Dubai posts . . . which is saying a lot.

(As a very small "cultural" footnote, for anyone who cares, I once worked with a Tamil financial officer who on several occasions explained to me in historical, logical, political, and practical detail why blowing up school buses was ok. Sri Lanka is no doubt fascinating from many perspectives, in other words. So my sarcastic comment above was meant tongue in cheek. Mostly. Oh, and the reference in the next paragraph is from the first line of To His Coy Mistress.)
The civil war have been over for a few years. Sri Lanka is worth a visit.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
The civil war have been over for a few years. Sri Lanka is worth a visit.
I was there for a week last year. It's....meh. India lite (in all the wrong ways). And imho if you've climbed one big hill to see a Buddha you've climbed them all.

YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Discuss.
Perhaps the old timers are of the thought that they could have done much the same thing as well or better. But most didn't even try; and some who did try didn't succeed as well. The proof is in the pudding.
If you're suggesting I could've given up my wonderfully fulfilling career and the lives I've impacted by instead starting a blog in college and spending the past 5-10 years simply flying in Premium cabins and visiting SE Asia and the UAE a lot of times, sure it's a possibility. I too could not be part of a geographical community, not be a homeowner, and not have any real friends. ( And yes, I'm going to admit that I can confidently say that based on information I have about Ben beyond that that is in his blog.)

This idea that anyone critical of Lucky's blog is jealous really is asenine. Even on the darkest days I've had over the past several years -- and I've had many - I've never for a moment thought I'd trade my life for his.

I don't know of anyone on this thread who has expressed a desire to become a full time points redeemer, Maldives visitor, and/or luxury travel blogger. So take your pudding and...

Last edited by Adam1222; Jan 10, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ladies and Gentlemen, dear Kids,

Lets stick to discussing the topic of the thread and not comment on members posting in this thread.

4 posts with OT personal commentary and response thereto deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Hate to repeat myself. 4 further OT posts deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Mode EM&PR forum
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Yes, with Ford along Ben's math has to change. Not just because it's double the miles but because getting 2 award seats is exponentially more difficult than getting one. And if you look at his 2016 plans it includes lots of business class rather than first on airlines that often offer decent business class fares rather than mile redemptions, theBA business class trip that Ford compared to coach being a good example. @:-)

The nice thing for Ben and Fore is that the cheap business class fares often start in the subcontinent or Europe. And so the homeless lifestyle is terrific for positioning around those fares.
kokonutz I think one reason why Ben might be including a lot of Business Class products as part of his 2016 plans is to drive additional traffic to his blog. You and I both know whether it's OMAAT or any other blog/website the goal is to drive traffic to the site. He's reviewed many First Class products and some with high frequency (i.e. LH/CX) so current readers might be getting "tired" of seeing those reviews. By reviewing new products, whether they be award winning or not he will gain more traffic as well as keep current viewers happy.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by kluau88
kokonutz I think one reason why Ben might be including a lot of Business Class products as part of his 2016 plans is to drive additional traffic to his blog. You and I both know whether it's OMAAT or any other blog/website the goal is to drive traffic to the site. He's reviewed many First Class products and some with high frequency (i.e. LH/CX) so current readers might be getting "tired" of seeing those reviews. By reviewing new products, whether they be award winning or not he will gain more traffic as well as keep current viewers happy.
Readers begged him to review more business class in 2014, too. But he kept on keeping on LH/CX and the ME3. What's changed?

In any case, if (and it's still a big if to my mind) they 'slum' it in business class this year I do think it will increase traffic. Certainly it will increase the utility of the blog to me personally. ^
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I don't know of anyone on this thread who has expressed a desire to become a full time points redeemer, Maldives visitor, and/or luxury travel blogger. So take your pudding and...
And yet, people are vehemently opposed to his blog for some reason. Do you know which blog I hate? Pioneer Woman. That lady has made millions off of sprucing up Betty Crocker mixes and taking photos of the steps. But do I find forums about her and write about how horrible of a life she has, just spending all that time in the kitchen and not really creating anything worthy of five-star restaurants? No. Why not? Because I really don't care all that much. I don't read her blogs or watch her shows. But in the end, I just don't care enough about her or her blog... But yet, how does OMaaT draw so many frequent fliers to hate him? To have that kind of animosity - there's more to just not liking his blog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.