Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
So I guess I'll go ahead and answer that one.

Some posters here, the very small minority obviously, just make stuff up. Specifically, in this instance, there's not even a hint anywhere that Ben was ever actually sued by United; and there's also no sign of the boyfriend's being anything other than (as another poster already noted) a class act. A decent writer, too, if that means anything.

Also, could someone help me out for a moment? I can't remember the post where Ben recommended scamming IHG. I looked for it and couldn't find it. I tend, though, not to read the hotel program posts too carefully. Thanks in advance.
Indeed I've never seen or heard any hint of being sued.

The boyfriend seems like a decent writer and has a nice change of perspective I think. Accusing Ford of using Ben is baseless. Even if he were, that has no bearing on his posts and would be Ben's issue to worry about not ours.

EDIT: Nevermind...I made the same mistake thinking the reference was to the mail-in entries on the other IHG promo - I didn't catch the "new account" post before it came off of the front page, as paynea posts.

Last edited by 84fiero; Nov 10, 2015 at 8:31 pm
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva
It wasn't really a scam - it just pointed out that the terms and conditions for their latest promo allow you to send in an entry (or multiple entries) by mail to possibly get awarded IHG points. Lots of people commented and ran the numbers, and it appeared that the possible rewards weren't really worth the time required.
No that isn't the post people were up-in-arms about.

The IHG scamming post was written by Travis, and actually, after all the negative comments, it got pulled from the "front page" but wasn't totally pulled since it readily comes up when you search "IHG" in the search box on the blog. Here is a direct link to it:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ery-two-stays/

My issue with this post is that ethics aside (given that everyone has different comfort zones), it is simply horrible advice. I think that is why it got pulled in the end.

IHG pretty recently went on a warpath and closed down a ton of accounts (with people losing all their points, including credit card points) due to "abuse." Travis even mentioned this fact in the post, which made it doubly confusing why he was advocating poking a recently wide-awake & unhappy bear. Plus, even before the most recent crackdown, IHG has always been unhappy about duplicate accounts and would pro-actively close them. I mean, theoretically if you have a relatively common name, and are careful to use different emails, addresses, phone #, credit cards, and always log in from different IP addresses, then yeah, IHG won't be able to track it. But this is a huge amount of hassle, and I guarantee you that the vast majority of the blog readers won't be able to pull this off successfully.

One of the first comments on the post referenced abusive use of UA ecert, and you know, I have to say there is a parallel. IIRC, the UA ecert hack was never really mentioned on FT (b/c people knew better to admit to outright fraud) but was discussed in person. I wonder if something similar existed today, whether some blogger would write on a post on this to get attention.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
The boyfriend seems like a decent writer and has a nice change of perspective I think.
I'm hoping this is a sarcastic comment as he has already had Tiffany, his mom, his dad, and now Ford (unless I'm missing someone here) review Emirates A380.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by paynea
No that isn't the post people were up-in-arms about.

The IHG scamming post was written by Travis, and actually, after all the negative comments, it got pulled from the "front page" but wasn't totally pulled since it readily comes up when you search "IHG" in the search box on the blog. Here is a direct link to it:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ery-two-stays/

My issue with this post is that ethics aside (given that everyone has different comfort zones), it is simply horrible advice. I think that is why it got pulled in the end.

IHG pretty recently went on a warpath and closed down a ton of accounts (with people losing all their points, including credit card points) due to "abuse." Travis even mentioned this fact in the post, which made it doubly confusing why he was advocating poking a recently wide-awake & unhappy bear. Plus, even before the most recent crackdown, IHG has always been unhappy about duplicate accounts and would pro-actively close them. I mean, theoretically if you have a relatively common name, and are careful to use different emails, addresses, phone #, credit cards, and always log in from different IP addresses, then yeah, IHG won't be able to track it. But this is a huge amount of hassle, and I guarantee you that the vast majority of the blog readers won't be able to pull this off successfully.

One of the first comments on the post referenced abusive use of UA ecert, and you know, I have to say there is a parallel. IIRC, the UA ecert hack was never really mentioned on FT (b/c people knew better to admit to outright fraud) but was discussed in person. I wonder if something similar existed today, whether some blogger would write on a post on this to get attention.
I missed that IHG post and agree, bad advice.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I'm hoping this is a sarcastic comment as he has already had Tiffany, his mom, his dad, and now Ford (unless I'm missing someone here) review Emirates A380.
Well I only read the first of Ford's posts and I just meant that his way of writing and point of view was different from Ben's usual take on things. You're right, though, repeating the same subject matter isn't a change.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I missed that IHG post and agree, bad advice.
Yeah - same here. That was pretty bad.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:29 am

it's funny overall that a year ago he put up this post about "hey should I have a guest writer"? seemed like it was a big internal debate he was having. posters mostly said "don't do it". next thing you know...he has at least 4 regular posters other than himself.

clearly the decision was made ahead of time and he just wanted to make it seem like readers had input. it's in a similar vein to "hey should i fly Kuwaiti or Avianca J or Lufthansa F?" and....guess what happens?

I can hardly fault the guy for diversifying his blog to free up some personal time and to broaden the audience. I think in some ways it's gotten better. But the phony "polls" are a waste of time.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Virtually every post ends with a "what do you think?"

They don't care; they just wants comments and interaction and SEO.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Thank you for the update, and now I understand how I missed this one. Since I find Travis's posts to be consistently disappointing, I generally just skip them. ("Bad advice" tends to be the least of his problems.)

Most of the other guest posters, however, seem pretty decent -- especially Tiffany.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:50 am

Apparently Ben is now employing both his current boyfriend and ex-boyfriend to write for his blog.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/vgzcHTZvtILcc/200.gif

Last edited by oliver2002; Nov 11, 2015 at 2:43 pm Reason: no animated gifs on FT please
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Apparently Ben is now employing both his current boyfriend and ex-boyfriend to write for his blog.
Haha! Scandalous!

Last edited by oliver2002; Nov 11, 2015 at 2:43 pm
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:21 pm

In an "interesting" turn of events... Ben has now changed the author of the article from Alex to himself. It seems he rewrote the article and drops in Alex's input. Maybe letting the ex-boyfriend write for the blog didn't go over too well with the current boyfriend who has recently been added on to the list of contributing writers?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
Virtually every post ends with a "what do you think?"
They don't care; they just wants comments and interaction and SEO.
This ^

Blog should be renamed One Writer at a Time
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Lets not start rumors. 3 OT personal comments deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:19 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by nsx
United sued him? When? Link?
Don't have the link, but if I recalled, it was in the Rolling Stones article.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by gemini573
Don't have the link, but if I recalled, it was in the Rolling Stones article.
They didn't sue him. They sent him a letter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.