Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
As I've said before, we're all judged, on every post we make. Some of the posts here add a lot of value; others, less.

Take the last post above, for example. It repeats my post. Then it repeats the point I was responding to. That's it.

No value added; just piling on. And this for the sake of . . . what?

Really, for what?
You have a way saying a lot without actually saying anything. Are you a politician?

You claim you figured out the way that Ben always get upgraded, but when it's pointed out what a possible (and very likely) reason you slam it as "speculation." You even pity those that don't know this secret.

If you want others to add value, try adding some yourself.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Ah, finally, an ad hominem attack. Those can sometimes work, I suppose, if that's all you've got, but on an anonymous board like Flyer Talk? Not a chance.

As for adding value, that's easy. I do it on every post, including this one.

Ready? Here goes.

How to get upgraded practically all the time, again, isn't secret. It's all been posted on One Mile at a Time itself, but the best short and readable summary I've seen is actually the February 21, 2014 post on View from the Wing entitled "How to Maximize Your Chances of an Upgrade." Basically, it boils down to using Expert Flyer to game flight times, the number of available seats, unsold inventory levels, and historic booking patterns. Being EXP and having SWUs helps as well, obviously. The flip side is that you have to have a very, very, very flexible schedule. That's what derails practically everyone in the known universe . . . except Ben.

More technical summaries of who gets priority over whom and why I've found also useful though significantly less helpful. The Points Guy, for example, has an April 2015 post entitled "American Upgrade Priority and How to Improve Your Chances."

Or alternatively, you could believe that it's all some thaumaturgic process influenced by some latter-day, ill-willed demiurge.

It's up to you.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:46 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Ah, finally, an ad hominem attack. Those can sometimes work, I suppose, if that's all you've got, but on an anonymous board like Flyer Talk? Not a chance.

Ready? Here goes.

How to get upgraded practically all the time, again, isn't secret. It's all been posted on One Mile at a Time itself, but the best short and readable summary I've seen is actually the February 21, 2014 post on View from the Wing entitled "How to Maximize Your Chances of an Upgrade." Basically, it boils down to using Expert Flyer to game flight times, the number of available seats, unsold inventory levels, and historic booking patterns. Being EXP and having SWUs helps as well, obviously. The flip side is that you have to have a very, very, very flexible schedule. That's what derails practically everyone in the known universe . . . except Ben.

More technical summaries of who gets priority over whom and why I've found also useful though significantly less helpful. The Points Guy, for example, has an April 2015 post entitled "American Upgrade Priority and How to Improve Your Chances."

Or alternatively, you could believe that it's all some thaumaturgic process influenced by some latter-day, ill-willed demiurge.

It's up to you.
So the answer is: fly on flights that no one else wants to fly on.

Which begs the question: who the heck wants to do that!?

Other than a professional leisure traveler, that is?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:55 am

Ready? Here goes.

It's up to you.
So, you are allowed to attack other's posts, but not the other way around? You've seem to have made yourself the final decision maker on what can be discussed, the level it can be discussed, and whether posts "add value" or are speculation. I still fail to see a post in which you add value to the discussion. Posts criticizing the discussion? You have plenty of those.

As far as your thoughts on Lucky's upgrade they don't work for this case.
My upgrade on Los Angeles to New York didn’t clear (I missed the upgrade by two people), and I haven’t cleared for my New York to Madrid flight for tonight, which is sold out in business class as of the time I’m writing this post (~12PM ET).
His follow-up post after receiving the upgrade:
Well, I landed in New York and received an ExpertFlyer notification that upgrade space had opened on the New York to Madrid flight.

I found that a bit odd since I was waitlisted (upgrade space should typically only open if there’s no one on the upgrade waitlist). But maybe there was a lag. So I called the Executive Platinum desk, and was confirmed in business class immediately.
If you would like to revise your theory for this particular case, feel free. No one will accuse you of speculation or piling on.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:56 am

Excellent question. Maybe not too many people have figured out that the whole Ben "thing" only really works consistently if you are, in fact, a professional leisure traveler?

Or maybe people just scale the whole thing down to the two or three times a year when they really care, i.e., big vacation time?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Other than a professional leisure traveler, that is?
A FTer not flying for work.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:40 am

For anyone still interested in the topic, Gary has a post this morning analyzing Ben's Madrid update in some detail. The title is "An Important Trick to Get Upgraded Ahead Of Others on the American Airlines Waitlist Sometimes."

I guess I'm surprised about who bothers to read the stuff here. Of course, others have made that point many, many times . . . but I'm still surprised.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:35 am

For anyone still interested in the topic, Gary has a post this morning analyzing Ben's Madrid update in some detail. The title is "An Important Trick to Get Upgraded Ahead Of Others on the American Airlines Waitlist Sometimes."

I guess I'm surprised about who bothers to read the stuff here. Of course, others have made that point many, many times . . . but I'm still surprised.
Bloggers talking about bloggers is way more boring than FlyerTalkers talking about bloggers!!! @:-)
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Shameless quid pro quo

So on the one hand, we are assured that informing us about how the SPG Amex is The Best Card Ever is to our benefit, and in our best interest to get (and be sure to click on my link to get the business version, too!). On the other hand, here is today's edition of "Wowweeee, lookie what Amex paid for me to do!!" Hotel AND flights, mon dieu!

I am not young or naive enough to think this is not done on almost every blog, but it leaves a really bad taste. I also know the apologists will assure me that said bloggers disclose that they get commission for pushing a card. Earning commission on a sale is one thing, this kind of quid pro quo is another altogether, but maybe I am out of touch with how ethics are perceived these days.

My favorite quote is the reasoning for Amex sending him to Spain for 4 days, "As part of the Amex Stars program I was sent on an international trip for four nights so I could use the card without foreign transaction fees." There's the value add for readers, seeing how a credit card works without foreign transaction fees!

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...uction-madrid/
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:47 pm

Not the first time Ben has taken free handouts. Do you really need to take a free trip to Madrid to let readers know that the SPG Amex card no longer has foreign transaction fees? No, but when you want to maintain a public image of traveling all the time for free this sure helps out. He is a credit card salesman and not a travel blogger giving unbiased reviews of products. Frequentmiler had a great post the other month of why he turned down free handouts. Though his blog isn't really centered on the travel... it's focused on how to obtain miles.

Last edited by Astrophsx; Nov 5, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by LR2013
So on the one hand, we are assured that informing us about how the SPG Amex is The Best Card Ever is to our benefit, and in our best interest to get (and be sure to click on my link to get the business version, too!). On the other hand, here is today's edition of "Wowweeee, lookie what Amex paid for me to do!!" Hotel AND flights, mon dieu!

I am not young or naive enough to think this is not done on almost every blog, but it leaves a really bad taste. I also know the apologists will assure me that said bloggers disclose that they get commission for pushing a card. Earning commission on a sale is one thing, this kind of quid pro quo is another altogether, but maybe I am out of touch with how ethics are perceived these days.

My favorite quote is the reasoning for Amex sending him to Spain for 4 days, "As part of the Amex Stars program I was sent on an international trip for four nights so I could use the card without foreign transaction fees." There's the value add for readers, seeing how a credit card works without foreign transaction fees!

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...uction-madrid/
Yeah, it was really nice of SPG to send him so he can see how good the card is cause, you know, he never travels internationally so he'd have no idea what value the SPG Amex card provides. Geez.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's the modern day equivalent of drug companies sending doctors to Hawaii to learn about acne medicine.

Except, doctors were supposed to have integrity. Bloggers?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 3:01 pm

You're all just JEALOUS that you can't sell your integrity for free travel too!!!

Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:51 pm

Gary doesn't provide any insight whatsoever. He just points out that Ben had an Expertflyer alert set up and called...which is exactly what Ben said happened. Real thought leader analysis there.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:19 pm

Gary says the reason AA isn't honoring fares is because of people talking about the fare being a mistake.

So there you have it: it's not the BLOGGERS who kill deals. It's the READERS who kill deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.