Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Raffles
Assuming 80k uniques and 2.5 page views per visitor, Adsense would bring in $1,000 per day before the BA cut (and they may have deals which pay more than Adsense.)
How many impressions per pageview and what CPM are you using to get that figure?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:55 pm

I've learned a lot from reading One Mile at a Time (Ben/Lucky), View from the Wing (Gary Leff), The Points Guy, etc. And of course, from reading FlyerTalk.

Most people won't be able to fly every flight in first class from reading the advice on blogs and signing up for credit card bonuses... but for a typical middle class person they can easily accumulate enough mileage to take some nice vacations and fly in business class or first class instead of economy and maybe book some nicer hotels/resorts.

For example, many would not pay up $4,000 for a 1-way flight from the USA to Australia in Business Class. 80,000 Delta Miles, though, could be accumulated from signing up for an AmEx credit card and then putting your normal expenses on it and maybe doing some manufactured spend.

I will chime in here that one of the problems in America is too many "helicopter" parents who don't let their kids explore, learn on their own, and take risks. These people end up being in their 20s, unable to succeed in business because they can't make decisions on their own and produce results.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Currently 80-100k unique visitors a day.... you do the math.
I have quite a few high traffic sites pulling close to that amount of traffic. And I don't make even nearly that amount of money.

If I did, I might as well quit the miles game and pay revenue every time
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
I will chime in here that one of the problems in America is too many "helicopter" parents who don't let their kids explore, learn on their own, and take risks. These people end up being in their 20s, unable to succeed in business because they can't make decisions on their own and produce results.
Two other problems in America are widespread post hoc ergo propter hoc arguments and arguments that conflate belief with evidence. Your claim has no support in the developmental psych or broader social science literature.

Whatever you choose to believe, it is obvious that the author of OMAAT got lucky, and parents who choose to let their child run free should never expect a similar outcome in money or in fame. "Results not typical," as the TV ads say.

Even the OMAAT award redemption results are atypical as award inventories often limit us to solo travel, which is unpopular. 80k points to Australia, when available (i.e., rarely), becomes 160k points as a couple, and that's only one way.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
I have quite a few high traffic sites pulling close to that amount of traffic. And I don't make even nearly that amount of money.

If I did, I might as well quit the miles game and pay revenue every time
Agreed. Much of the impressions online these days are bought and sold via exchanges (AppNexus, Google BidManager just to name two) and the cost per impression to the advertiser generally never goes above 5CPM and that is a fairly targted campaign...most impressions are bought even cheaper.

Of course the exchange needs to get paid, and boarding area. So at a CPM of $5 and 100k pageviews/day, we'd be looking at $500/day minus exchange cut and Bording Area cut. So $180k before others take their cut. And I suspect the CPM is closer to $1-$2 because the audience is generally not super high income and net-worth (like sites along the lines of Forbes etc which can ask for a rate premium). So realistically, Lucky might bring home $50k in advertising annually IMO.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Sure, there's luck. Being in the right place at the right time matters. Always.

But a lot of times people make their own luck or, as Louis Pasteur once put it, "Fortune favors the prepared mind."

In plainer English, being lucky ain't all there is to it. A little talent helps, too.

And, Davie355, single-seat searches isn't the half of it. Having an ultra-flexible schedule (one that you and I don't have) is the other half, at least.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Agreed. Much of the impressions online these days are bought and sold via exchanges (AppNexus, Google BidManager just to name two) and the cost per impression to the advertiser generally never goes above 5CPM and that is a fairly targted campaign...most impressions are bought even cheaper.

Of course the exchange needs to get paid, and boarding area. So at a CPM of $5 and 100k pageviews/day, we'd be looking at $500/day minus exchange cut and Bording Area cut. So $180k before others take their cut. And I suspect the CPM is closer to $1-$2 because the audience is generally not super high income and net-worth (like sites along the lines of Forbes etc which can ask for a rate premium). So realistically, Lucky might bring home $50k in advertising annually IMO.
So is this something Lucky could opt out of? Or is it a requirement to be on Boarding Area?

For $50K/year, I'd think Lucky would opt out if he could.

My guess is either he can't, or the money is much better.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Sure, there's luck. Being in the right place at the right time matters. Always. But a lot of times people make their own luck or, as Louis Pasteur once put it, "Fortune favors the prepared mind." In plainer English, being lucky ain't all there is to it. A little talent helps, too.
preparation + execution
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
I've learned a lot from reading One Mile at a Time (Ben/Lucky), View from the Wing (Gary Leff), The Points Guy, etc. And of course, from reading FlyerTalk.

Most people won't be able to fly every flight in first class from reading the advice on blogs and signing up for credit card bonuses... but for a typical middle class person they can easily accumulate enough mileage to take some nice vacations and fly in business class or first class instead of economy and maybe book some nicer hotels/resorts.

For example, many would not pay up $4,000 for a 1-way flight from the USA to Australia in Business Class. 80,000 Delta Miles, though, could be accumulated from signing up for an AmEx credit card and then putting your normal expenses on it and maybe doing some manufactured spend.
So, People actually follow the advice of these point guys and succesfully get free flights and upgrades they could never pay for????
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by josephstern
So is this something Lucky could opt out of? Or is it a requirement to be on Boarding Area?

For $50K/year, I'd think Lucky would opt out if he could.

My guess is either he can't, or the money is much better.
He can't. It mind boggles me these top bloggers don't get a bit of business chutzpah and actually just move all their content to their own hosting service.

I can guarantee you the average newbie is annoyed by the pop up ads and proceeds to click out and never come back again.

I could easily do it within a week. Its not even that hard.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
He can't. It mind boggles me these top bloggers don't get a bit of business chutzpah and actually just move all their content to their own hosting service.
Its very convenient to stay with what you have. Changing providers and having to deal with unknowns is far too cumbersome... just imagine all the SEO you have to rebuild...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
How many impressions per pageview and what CPM are you using to get that figure?
Simply grossing up my own numbers.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by AAExPlat

Well off. The figure I quoted above is my own, grossed up.

Looking at my own numbers, I have had ads which pay £5 ($8) per CLICK. Obviously I have no idea which ad this was as Google doesn't tell you but almost certainly for a credit card.

Some of the highest paying ads are credit cards and travel, because they are big ticket purchases. Serve those ads to a readership with loves credit cards and travel and you are sorted. All the nonsense you see about $1 per 1000 is what you get for the random rubbish served up on celebrity gossip sites to low-rent readers.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
DP81 says:
August 20, 2015 at 12:09 pm
You know what was well played? The catfight exchange between The Points Guy and you yesterday. #teamonemileatatime. Video was deleted off his IG but I was really enjoying that banter. Are you leaving LA already? T-swizzle has 5 concerts lined up in LA this weekend!

Tom says:
August 20, 2015 at 12:36 pm
@DP81 What happened?!?!! That’s what I get for not being on Instagram…

Imperator says:
August 20, 2015 at 2:18 pm
What catfight? What did I miss??

Can anyone provide any color to this one? I'm still in the dark. Love a little blogger drama.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I really can't wait for the next "question" to be answered full of credit card affiliate links...again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.