Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Maybe I'm just prurient by nature, but I assumed that photo was set up to look like it was the result of a hookup: a trail of clothes strewn off leading to the bed...I thought it was meant to be tittilating.

Especially since he said that that's what his room looked like in the evening....and his hotel room bed is unmade.
No, you're absolutely correct. Ben does this quite often actually, though it often seems to be lost on most of his readers. His posts are littered with (what appear to me, at least) thiny veiled hints of "I just had sex!!"

Sometimes I feel like I need a shower after reading his posts.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:30 am

I was talking with a Patient and oddly this Gentleman's name came up during our conversation about travel and how my patient was impressed with the worldliness of the Gentleman and so forth and so on.

Honestly, until my patient mentioned his name I had never heard nor read a word of Ben's writing, while I am unsure who beyond a subset of the population cares about what he has to say, I will say that it was interesting.

Having said, I was scanning Flyertalk and saw this post and the detail that you all discuss about him is interesting and to be honest, I guess I am more superficial as an individual as I sort of just skimmed over what he wrote and did not pay any sort of great detail to his words nor his pictures.

I completely missed the clothing on the floor and after this thread bringing it to my attention, I did not even think sexual, I thought more along the lines of being 20 and not married as I was notorious for dropping my clothes, especially my laundry about wherever I was at the particular moment, I never sort of outgrew the Frat house.

Post marriage, my wife broke me quick of dropping clothes willy nilly as she was not about to clean up after me, nor was she going to tolerate a Frat House lifestyle.

All in all, I am not entirely sure what I am saying, I guess my hat is off to all of you for being deeper thinkers than I am ever capable of. I never was that great at the humanities (science/math were my thing) and I rarely saw the deeper meanings in literature (thank god for Cliff Notes).

Last edited by kmersh; Aug 7, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I thought you were kidding! No such luck.

He honestly has swim trunks with airplanes on them?

I wonder who he got those for free from?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
He honestly has swim trunks with airplanes on them?

I wonder who he got those for free from?
Definately staged.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Sounder
No, you're absolutely correct. Ben does this quite often actually, though it often seems to be lost on most of his readers. His posts are littered with (what appear to me, at least) thiny veiled hints of "I just had sex!!"

Sometimes I feel like I need a shower after reading his posts.
If you caught yesterday's post (by Nick, actually) seeking prurient captions to the Delta photo/ad for C+ seats, you'll definitely need a shower...particularly after some of the comments.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:29 pm

Remember how just the other week Ben wrote an article saying that RS cherry picked quotes and that other media outlet are the ones responsible for twisting the truth?

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/07/how-a...-programs.html

He says on air, almost every week I fly international first class to Asia or Europe on miles.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Remember how just the other week Ben wrote an article saying that RS cherry picked quotes and that other media outlet are the ones responsible for twisting the truth?

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/07/how-a...-programs.html

He says on air, almost every week I fly international first class to Asia or Europe on miles.
He needs those newbies for the cc apps. Saying he pays for his F travel will not bring in the money he wants. Sad really as he shilling a dream that many wouldn't be able to achieve.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
If you caught yesterday's post (by Nick, actually) seeking prurient captions to the Delta photo/ad for C+ seats, you'll definitely need a shower...particularly after some of the comments.
Against my better judgement, the part of me that slows down to look at car wrecks made me go to see for myself. Yup, car wreck quality. What the F has happened to that blog? Are others on BA this juvenile? maybe this question and Nicks post example should be in the BA Fail thread. I thnk the average reader is 16 based on the comments.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The Real Housewives .gif is in honor of all you fans...

http://upgrd.com/matthew/read-rollin...ardashian.html

(a link to my personal blog, praising Ben...)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
This was before the blog -- Ben's only income was in the form of United vouchers and this had to hurt.
Income in form of vouchers??
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well that says it all doesn't it.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:31 am

Silly question, how does one make an income off of airline vouchers? The few vouchers that I have gotten over time, have never actually minted me any real $$$$.

Yes, it does discount an airline ticket, but the airline has never actually paid me in real dollars.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by kmersh
Silly question, how does one make an income off of airline vouchers? The few vouchers that I have gotten over time, have never actually minted me any real $$$$.

Yes, it does discount an airline ticket, but the airline has never actually paid me in real dollars.
It's hard to follow the timeline given in the blog post. I enjoy the UPGRD blog from time to time but this just points out more issues with Ben's life. The RS article stated that Ben's father was home only on the weekends and that his older brother was father figure until he tragically died in an accident. Then this blog entry points to the well know thread in FT where Ben at the age of 15/16 traveled 5 days non-stop living at the airport and sleeping on planes. Not only did his parents allow him to do this, but they gave him $1,000+. I am assuming that is where a 15 year old gets that kind of money. If this information was publicized in the media I'm sure there would have been an outcry and social services would have been called. This isn't northern Europe where the courts allow 15 year olds to sail solo around the world. You'd get people like Nancy interjecting themselves into the situation and turning it into a tabloid story.

Also, it is a little creepy to read about his stalker and to know that his long term relationship stems from a fanboy writing him emails. I guess all of this publicity/media coverage exposed some of his personal life that he typically does not share with his readers.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I am assuming beyond the allowance given to him by his parents the only currency he had coming in was vouchers from airlines from being bumped. I forget when he was working the United glitch. I thought that was 2010-2011, when he was old enough to know better and had enough money coming in from his two businesses.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:17 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Many of us do things we shouldn't even though we are old enough to know better. Never doing something in that category would make one very unusual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.