Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Its also interesting that the cards with the highest commissions are the same ones that are pushed by the most bloggers.
This is shocking! You are obviously a hater
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There were a few games played where miles/points could be used to earn more miles/points than were spent without that notorious, fraudulent UA voucher re-use method.

One game that worked for some involved bump vouchers and freely changeable award tickets, either in coach or first. Toss in checked luggage onto some very convoluted itineraries with short transfer times, and there was additional compensation possibilities in the picture when the luggage was mishandled by the airline.
Hi everyone, long time member, 1st time poster on this thread.
I used to post back in the day a lot but not so often now.

In my humble opinion Luckycoins played United like a violin.
I think they discovered one of his inconsistencies and investigated his activity with the "system" maybe then decided that we really don't need this type of customer and gave him the heave ho.

They don't owe him an explanation and considering he wasn't a high spend type of guy....ignored his offer to send back the monies in question.

Once again just my humble opinion.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
What I was more surprised to learn is the cookie aspect, and how it lingers. Many would never apply thru a bloggers link after clickthru (I wouldn't on principle), but if they apply later, its as if they used the bloggers link.
That's another reason to use a Chrome Incognito window when applying.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:09 pm

Long time follower of OMaaT. I have to say that post RS interview, his website is disappointing. No more TRs, and most of the posts are by his contributors.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by josephstern
So are you saying that the writers of Almost Famous didn't check their facts?
Almost Famous is an autobiography.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by skunker
Almost Famous is an autobiography.
Ish.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
This is shocking! You are obviously a hater
Oh, certainly not! I just thought it was interesting. I would never suggest that bloggers would intentionally push the highest-paying cards! It must just be by coincidence, after all, the bloggers are our friends! They don't post credit card links so they'll get paid, they do it to make it easier for us to find the application!

In all seriousness though, everybody likes to buy, but nobody likes being sold to. I think most bloggers realize this and try to walk the narrow line of maximizing their own profit while still trying to portray the image that they're just looking out for their readers, just like any business would.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Long time follower of OMaaT. I have to say that post RS interview, his website is disappointing. No more TRs, and most of the posts are by his contributors.

His website in general is disappointing and dated. Take a look at this trip report:http://awardbee.com/cathay-pacific-f...s-as-a-couple/ While it is only Wordpress you have large images that are shot beautifully. There is another blogger who takes some really great photos on BA.

Blows me away that bloggers making 7 figures each year are still putting out trip reports that feature Instagram photos, iPhone photos, and photos from a point and shoot camera. They can run a business but can't take a photography class? They can only edit their photos in iPhoto and Instagram? Rely heavily on stock photos. Website design that maybe was acceptable 5-10 years ago.

With this media stint you would have thought he'd invest some extra money into the blog and improve the quality of content.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
His website in general is disappointing and dated. Take a look at this trip report:http://awardbee.com/cathay-pacific-f...s-as-a-couple/ While it is only Wordpress you have large images that are shot beautifully. There is another blogger who takes some really great photos on BA.

Blows me away that bloggers making 7 figures each year are still putting out trip reports that feature Instagram photos, iPhone photos, and photos from a point and shoot camera. They can run a business but can't take a photography class? They can only edit their photos in iPhoto and Instagram? Rely heavily on stock photos. Website design that maybe was acceptable 5-10 years ago.

With this media stint you would have thought he'd invest some extra money into the blog and improve the quality of content.
While the pics are indeed better, how is this content any different from Lucky's? It's the same shallow and materialistic drivel written by two narcissists completely divorced from the realities of life. All you have to read its this quote and I know never to visit their site:

"We did… and enjoyed a hot bath in the most romantic of settings."

So they are trying to sell people that taking a couple bath in the Wing his more romantic than doing the same thing overlooking say the Serengeti, the Indian Ocean or mountains at sunset?

I guess it's possible for that to be true at least for them, but how starved for importance does one have to be for that to be the case?

It's really sad to read some of this stuff.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
While the pics are indeed better, how is this content any different from Lucky's? It's the same shallow and materialistic drivel written by two narcissists completely divorced from the realities of life. All you have to read its this quote and I know never to visit their site:

So they are trying to sell people that taking a couple bath in the Wing his more romantic than doing the same thing overlooking say the Serengeti, the Indian Ocean or mountains at sunset?

I guess it's possible for that to be true at least for them, but how starved for importance does one have to be for that to be the case?

Couldn't agree more.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by AAExPlat

I agree with the writing style. I'm talking about photos and layout.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I agree with the writing style. I'm talking about photos and layout.
Those photos are gorgeous. I thought they were professional stock CX photos at first!

I didn't bother to read the text.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The layout is not great. For a start, when I visit the link, I have no idea where I am. What is the site? What is it about? How is it meant to attract long term readers?

The text also starts 'below the fold' which is meant to be a Google penalty point.

If you read 'SEO for Dummies', which I recommend, a key takeaway is not to let your designer have any day in the design, or you're stuffed.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
So, enlighten me. Why do many of you post, over and over again, the same thing, namely, "Hey, this credit card stuff is one big giant infomercial!"

What's the point of that?

And that's hardly news, you know.

I mostly just skip that stuff . . . though I do have to say that Doctor of Credit appears to me to be very good in that area. Not that I'm a very good judge of that sort of thing, obviously.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
So, enlighten me. Why do many of you post, over and over again, the same thing, namely, "Hey, this credit card stuff is one big giant infomercial!"

What's the point of that?

And that's hardly news, you know.

I mostly just skip that stuff . . . though I do have to say that Doctor of Credit appears to me to be very good in that area. Not that I'm a very good judge of that sort of thing, obviously.
The point is, OMaaT, the lifestyle and the posts, is just one big tool to generate cc signups. It's not really about teaching people how to get and use points and miles. The goal is the signups.

This Rolling Stone article and me-too articles act like the goal is to travel in style for little or no money, and they are just completely missing the reason Ben & Co. do this.

So it may not be news to you, but it seems to be news to Rolling Stone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.