One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
It's hard to follow the timeline given in the blog post. I enjoy the UPGRD blog from time to time but this just points out more issues with Ben's life. The RS article stated that Ben's father was home only on the weekends and that his older brother was father figure until he tragically died in an accident. Then this blog entry points to the well know thread in FT where Ben at the age of 15/16 traveled 5 days non-stop living at the airport and sleeping on planes. Not only did his parents allow him to do this, but they gave him $1,000+. I am assuming that is where a 15 year old gets that kind of money. If this information was publicized in the media I'm sure there would have been an outcry and social services would have been called. This isn't northern Europe where the courts allow 15 year olds to sail solo around the world. You'd get people like Nancy interjecting themselves into the situation and turning it into a tabloid story.

Also, it is a little creepy to read about his stalker and to know that his long term relationship stems from a fanboy writing him emails. I guess all of this publicity/media coverage exposed some of his personal life that he typically does not share with his readers.
The new term for allowing unsupervised minors to roam at will is "free range parenting."
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:32 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by JetAway
The new term for allowing unsupervised minors to roam at will is "free range parenting."
The old term was "parenting". Yeah, it was risky but it did help us develop self-reliance at a younger age.
hhdl likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I am assuming beyond the allowance given to him by his parents the only currency he had coming in was vouchers from airlines from being bumped. I forget when he was working the United glitch. I thought that was 2010-2011, when he was old enough to know better and had enough money coming in from his two businesses.
UA 1K desk also used to hand out travel credits galore for other stuff... I hear special meals not available in UA F after a night stop yielded 750$ each complaint. @:-)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
UA 1K desk also used to hand out travel credits galore for other stuff... I hear special meals not available in UA F after a night stop yielded 750$ each complaint. @:-)
That explains a lot taking that the RS article referenced how he would purposely look for things to complain about.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by nsx
The old term was "parenting". Yeah, it was risky but it did help us develop self-reliance at a younger age.
This. y parents let me travel alone when I was 15, and plenty of my travel-oriented friends did the same.

It allowed them to go to college without the parents helicoptering continually.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
This. y parents let me travel alone when I was 15, and plenty of my travel-oriented friends did the same.

It allowed them to go to college without the parents helicoptering continually.

I detest helicopter parents but at the same time the part of 15 year old's brain that is called into action for making decisions is not fully developed and is not fully developed until age 25. That's why teens usually do not make the best decisions. Sending a 15 year old out into the world to sleep in airports is not something I would recommend nor condone.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I flew to Europe alone at 15. Did a Eurail month-long ticket when I was 16. Awesome experiences, both.

That part of his bio doesn't bug me at all.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:25 pm

Remember how just the other week Ben wrote an article saying that RS cherry picked quotes and that other media outlet are the ones responsible for twisting the truth?

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/07/how-a...-programs.html

He says on air, almost every week I fly international first class to Asia or Europe on miles.
stop this madness!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Just in case you were wondering which reader won the Delta dirty gay caption contest:

Winner #1
Fredd for the caption, “Cruising altitude is the greatest, isn’t it?”

Winner #2
wxguy for the caption, “We love your fly, and it shows!”

Honorable mention goes to: Jack, Josh, AJ, freedawg and bubu for their various takes on “extra inches,” and Charles and John Barcus for their take on the “fully upright and locked position” gag.

And for those doubting the bloggers read this forum, note:

we’ve chosen two winners, each of whom will receive a $100 Delta gift card to spend on airfare, merchandise, in-flight purchases, or Krug-and-tugs from your handsome ethnically diverse seatmate.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
And for those doubting the bloggers read this forum, note:
He should create a First Class Krug-and-Tug t-shirt. As long as he sends me one he can use my phrase
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Not even a hat tip to Astrophsx for coining the term?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
He should create a First Class Krug-and-Tug t-shirt. As long as he sends me one he can use my phrase
Your pronounciation of Krug rhymes with tug?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ben is currently getting pageviews in the millions, the ad impressions alone should yield 700-800$ day depending on the cut BArea takes from the ad revenue
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ben is currently getting pageviews in the millions, the ad impressions alone should yield 700-800$ day depending on the cut BArea takes from the ad revenue
If true, that's $250-300k per year from ads alone.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Your pronounciation of Krug rhymes with tug?
Come on - let the guy have poetic license here. This was pretty brilliant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.