One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
He needs those newbies for the cc apps. Saying he pays for his F travel will not bring in the money he wants. Sad really as he shilling a dream that many wouldn't be able to achieve.
+1

I agree that most of us have neither the time or desire to milk CC offers and other tricks to acquire huge amounts of mileage points.

IIRC, of these guys recently wrote an article on how he simplified his parent's CC usage to help them get more points in a way that actually could work for them. Now, that article made sense. But, I had already figured it out for myself. Still, if it keeps some people from putting all their spending on a 1% cashback card with $95 annual fee, and 3% foreign transaction fees when they finally do get that 'free' trip to Timbuktu, I'm all for it.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:39 pm

Being a Physician I openly admit it puts me at a disadvantage business wise as it is true that Physicians can make notoriously bad business people, but it blows my mind that Web Ads can generate that kind of money.

Hats off to anybody who can mint that sort of change from writing on a website, especially about travel which I find means to many people just getting from A to B with the least amount of headaches possible.

Parenting is tough thing and I do not profess to have all the answers (especially because my Wife and I do not have any of our own), I have seen fairly lax parents in my ER as well as very (maybe overly) attentive parents and they seem to both have positives and negatives. In the end of the day I guess that the measure of being a good parent is how the child turns out as an adult.

Last edited by kmersh; Aug 12, 2015 at 5:07 am Reason: Rewrote a confusing sentence.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
What's with all of the malware popup emanating from Lucky's blog?

Latest trash: fake blue screen of death popup urging you to click on links. Uses every trick phrase in the book to try to get you in an emotional frenzy to install their malware to get rid of malware, viruses, and Lucifer (I made that last one up). I love the part where they plead with you Please do not shut down or restart your computer or bad things will happen.

Fed up.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GrizShel
What's with all of the malware popup emanating from Lucky's blog?
Thats a BArea problem: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...re-edited.html

Some adservers are sending out bad ads it seems. Unfortunate to have that issue right at the time when the media blitz is bringing in new readers.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Thats a BArea problem: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...re-edited.html

Some adservers are sending out bad ads it seems. Unfortunate to have that issue right at the time when the media blitz is bringing in new readers.
There seems to be a spike in people reporting the malware that corresponds to the spike in new readers. Maybe the ad servers are piggy backing off the new fame.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by josephstern
Come on - let the guy have poetic license here. This was pretty brilliant.
FT phrase of the year!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
There seems to be a spike in people reporting the malware that corresponds to the spike in new readers. Maybe the ad servers are piggy backing off the new fame.
Well if he is in fact earning $700-800 a day in ads alone I guess that is the reason he chooses not to turn them off (if he even has that choice?) until they find a solution. I believe he and other BA bloggers have addressed the issue before, but I would just think that a blog that depends on financial transactions (credit card apps) as a source of income having ads that could infect computers with malware and what not would be a major risk?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Ben is currently getting pageviews in the millions, the ad impressions alone should yield 700-800$ day depending on the cut BArea takes from the ad revenue
Millions per day? Not even close IMO. Should be more in the 50,00-100,000 per day category, which is still impressive. But he's not pulling $700 a day in pop up revenue, that's for sure.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Millions per day? Not even close IMO. Should be more in the 50,00-100,000 per day category, which is still impressive. But he's not pulling $700 a day in pop up revenue, that's for sure.
Currently 80-100k unique visitors a day.... you do the math.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, AA Platinum, Air France Platinum for Life,
If he's only making enough miles for 2 or 3 weeks of his flying lifestyle he must be making a killing off of those Credit Card referrals.

And PAID flights in Etihad F. Really? When was that?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Parzival
And PAID flights in Etihad F. Really? When was that?
Paid F ex CMB. Not a big deal price wise.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Currently 80-100k unique visitors a day.... you do the math.
Assuming 80k uniques and 2.5 page views per visitor, Adsense would bring in $1,000 per day before the BA cut (and they may have deals which pay more than Adsense.)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Assuming 80k uniques and 2.5 page views per visitor, Adsense would bring in $1,000 per day before the BA cut (and they may have deals which pay more than Adsense.)
The same ones that lock your browser?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by skunker
The same ones that lock your browser?
Maybe they get a cut of the ransomware?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Maybe they get a cut of the ransomware?
You do have to question a) why the pay so much and b) why Boarding Area refuses to deal with them

Last edited by skunker; Aug 18, 2015 at 10:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.