Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Alternatively, would you like some stranger get your FFP details after a blogger passed on your SWU???
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

I think it's just weird that someone who purports to be the expert in flying First for low cost, and takes tax write offs for doing so, relied on a reader for doing so.

from a tax perspective, he should of course note this as income.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I think it's just weird that someone who purports to be the expert in flying First for low cost, and takes tax write offs for doing so, relied on a reader for doing so.

from a tax perspective, he should of course note this as income.
It's part this and part that clearly he doesn't need reader hand outs to fly in the style to which he has become accustomed. Long time readers of the blog should easily be able to remember when he would 100% had given it away based on some sort of contest.

It's for whatever reason uncouth (to me).
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
As a long-time reader -- a fact I've proven many times here -- I can say definitively that the last two posts are wrong.

Well, maybe kind of wrong.

First, Ben has obviously done many contests indeed over the years, but he has also benefited from reader favors as well. Every reader of these words knows of the Big One -- yeah, the G-IV trip -- but there've been a lot of smaller ones as well. For years he got comped up to Ambassador status at Four Seasons, back when that was possible, thanks to a reader. Sometimes, in other words, the logistics or the program rules preclude a contest.

(A question for you experts out there: could an AA SWU be given away in a for-profit blog contest consistent with AA's rules? I'm curious on that one and, sadly, I've never even seen an SUV and so haven't read the T&Cs. I know for sure they can't be sold.)

Second, it's been my misfortune, professionally, to have a lot to do with tax stuff. Over many, too many, years. And, trust me, a gift isn't "income," not in this world anyway, not now not ever. Whether something Ben gets really is a "gift," factually, is of course something for him to know and for the rest us to wonder about. Personally, I'm of the view that life is way, way, way too short to spend even one unnecessary nanosecond thinking about tax law.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
As a long-time reader -- a fact I've proven many times here -- I can say definitively that the last two posts are wrong.

First, Ben has obviously done many contests indeed over the years, but he has also benefited from reader favors as well. Every reader of these words knows of the Big One -- yeah, the G-IV trip -- but there've been a lot of smaller ones as well. For years he got comped up to Ambassador status at Four Seasons, back when that was possible, thanks to a reader. Sometimes, in other words, the logistics or the program rules preclude a contest.

(A question for you experts out there: could an AA SWU be given away in a for-profit blog contest consistent with AA's rules? I'm curious on that one and, sadly, I've never even seen an SUV and so haven't read the T&Cs. I know for sure they can't be sold.)

Second, it's been my misfortune, professionally, to have a lot to do with tax stuff. Over many, too many, years. And, trust me, a gift isn't "income," not in this world anyway, not now not ever. Whether something Ben gets really is a "gift," factually, is of course something for him to know and for the rest us to wonder about. Personally, I'm of the view that life is way, way, way too short to spend even one unnecessary nanosecond thinking about tax law.
Great opinion!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

A gift can most certainly be taxable, particularly in a situation like this where the gift is used to generate income. I'm not sure what makes you think otherwise. But more importantly, we are talking about business taxes, not personal taxes, and the question of how he treats it on a balance sheet is valid. My very short comment referring to it as reportable income was a bit of an oversimplification

If Ben would have paid to upgrade, he would have written it off as a business expense. I don't know how Ben does his taxes, but suspect that trips with Ford are deducted as expenses, incorrectly.

As for your holier than thou comment, you obviously do spend more than a nanosecond thinking about tax law, since you felt the need to weigh in. But it's not a coincidence that both TPG and Ben establish "residence" in Florida. It's for tax purposes.

Last edited by Adam1222; Feb 21, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

AA is absolutely against any trade of their upgrade instruments and watches any such transactions like a hawk on social media. BArea/HOM/VFTW/OMAAT are well aware/aligned with AA management to know what they can and cannot do.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
but suspect that trips with Ford are deducted as expenses, incorrectly.
It took the government how long to catch on to Madoff and Enron?

Pretty sure Ben has nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You should feel sorry for Ben.

Remember that the US is the ONLY country in the world to tax you on global income. (Apparently North Korea may also do this but it is not fully clear. Certainly no-one else.)

If I lived Ben's lifestyle, as a UK citizen, I would pay no income tax at all because I would not be in any one country for enough days to trigger it. Loyalty Lobby may be the only nomadic blogger who actually lives tax free - I think Drew and Carrie are US passport holders too.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Raffles
Remember that the US is the ONLY country in the world to tax you on global income. (Apparently North Korea may also do this but it is not fully clear. Certainly no-one else.)
It's hardly as simple as your statement applies. Plenty of rules and agreements to avoid double taxation and also to determine where you should pay taxes when you travel the world....
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTW1
It's hardly as simple as your statement applies. Plenty of rules and agreements to avoid double taxation and also to determine where you should pay taxes when you travel the world....
which other countries don't have
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AA is absolutely against any trade of their upgrade instruments and watches any such transactions like a hawk on social media. BArea/HOM/VFTW/OMAAT are well aware/aligned with AA management to know what they can and cannot do.
What does having a randomization based contest have to do with trade of an instrument?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
What does having a randomization based contest have to do with trade of an instrument?
I'm no lawyer, but AA makes it very clear:

At no time may AAdvantage mileage credit or award tickets be purchased, sold, advertised for sale or bartered (including but not limited to transferring, gifting, or promising mileage credit or award tickets in exchange for support of a certain business, product or charity and/or participation in an auction, sweepstakes, raffle or contest). Any such mileage or tickets are void if transferred for cash or other consideration. Violators (including any passenger who uses a purchased or bartered award ticket) may be liable for damages and litigation costs, including American Airlines attorneys’ fees incurred in enforcing this rule.
Ben doing such raffles/giveaways potentially endangers his and the giveaways sponsor's AA account.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I'm no lawyer, but AA makes it very clear:

Ben doing such raffles/giveaways potentially endangers his and the giveaways sponsor's AA account.
TPG gave away a certain number of miles to "make up for" a free flight they accepted (contrary to their own policies), so obviously giving a SWU or miles away for free (say in a randomized contest based on comments) would be allowed.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
TPG gave away a certain number of miles to "make up for" a free flight they accepted (contrary to their own policies), so obviously giving a SWU or miles away for free (say in a randomized contest based on comments) would be allowed.
Pretty positive he purchased those to give to the winner, something that AA encourages and has an option for with their Buy/Gift/Share (plus it was a promo period).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.