One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
It always helps to know your market, I suppose.

I looked at Ben's most recent review of the CDG AF lounge today. (Nice review, by the way.) It cost him "only" 300 Euros. Admittedly, and considering what you get, this price is probably fair. My point, though, is imagine what this would cost a family! Not Ben's market, clearly.

If your kids were big wine drinkers (??), you could probably hit that price at a few Paris restaurants I can think of, but that's a different subject altogether. For those with any knowledge of Wall Street history, that kind of excess might remind you of John Gutfreund, who died yesterday.

And anyway, no, I'm not going to read any Part II by Ford . . . .
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I'm using prepartion H (instead of Joan Rivers recommending it is now Team Omaat) because as an OMaat personality it's important for me to become forward.

Kidding aside, any AA review (SPG also) will not seem objective anymore. Although we all hope his downfall (k making reality check cream) i predict he can live of his fame indefinetly and live of the hotel/airline/FFP industry

Last edited by oliver2002; Mar 11, 2016 at 7:13 am Reason: removed large quoted image
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by HadesNL
I'm using prepartion H (instead of Joan Rivers recommending it is now Team Omaat) because as an OMaat personality it's important for me to become forward.

Kidding aside, any AA review (SPG also) will not seem objective anymore. Although we all hope his downfall (k making reality check cream) i predict he can live of his fame indefinetly and live of the hotel/airline/FFP industry
I don't think you can count on objectivity of anything even involving AA miles to be honest.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
It always helps to know your market, I suppose.

I looked at Ben's most recent review of the CDG AF lounge today. (Nice review, by the way.) It cost him "only" 300 Euros. Admittedly, and considering what you get, this price is probably fair. My point, though, is imagine what this would cost a family! Not Ben's market, clearly.

If your kids were big wine drinkers (??), you could probably hit that price at a few Paris restaurants I can think of, but that's a different subject altogether. For those with any knowledge of Wall Street history, that kind of excess might remind you of John Gutfreund, who died yesterday.

And anyway, no, I'm not going to read any Part II by Ford . . . .
I hear you in that €300 spent for lounge access sounds like the excess that presages the beginning of the next recession, but look at in context here: if that blog nets him two CC apps approved, then he's likely ahead of the game. He's not spending wantonly.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I hear you in that €300 spent for lounge access sounds like the excess that presages the beginning of the next recession, but look at in context here: if that blog nets him two CC apps approved, then he's likely ahead of the game. He's not spending wantonly.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but a majority of his international travel is obtained with purchased miles? Especially when he's taking the other writers on his blog, his boyfriend, dad, or mom with him. Ben's blog isn't geared towards showing people how to obtain miles... it's about what miles could potentially get you. Most of those credit card signups would barely get you a one way ticket in F.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

His travel? I'm sure much of it is via purchased miles. That's why I was pretty surprised to see his low AA lifetime total.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by josephstern
His travel? I'm sure much of it is via purchased miles. That's why I was pretty surprised to see his low AA lifetime total.
It's also only been 3.5ish years since United fired him, I mean, he moved to American, so that works with the lower than expected total. Also, it's not like the business is ONLY our fearless author - having some of his employees (the BF in particular) purchase his own miles would push the lifetime down.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
From the tone of this post:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/03/13/hotel-tripadvisor/

SPG corporate is desperate for Ben's testimonials ---- but good he posts a "meme": I just can't (saving his credibility).
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
His post re: tripadvisor today is a throwback to his less mature writing and the comments suggesting that he "grow up" are well placed.

Ben quite obviously fails to see the hypocrisy of pushing credit cards on people while complaining about hotels that put tripadvisor reviews. Almost laughably so.

He also fails to realize that these employees likely earn a substantial amount of their compensation by earning favorable mentions and the fact that Ben can't be bothered to complete something he sees as meaningless when it's quite clearly not the case for someone not in his position, speaks volumes to both his character view of others.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
His post re: tripadvisor today is a throwback to his less mature writing and the comments suggesting that he "grow up" are well placed.

Ben quite obviously fails to see the hypocrisy of pushing credit cards on people while complaining about hotels that put tripadvisor reviews. Almost laughably so.

He also fails to realize that these employees likely earn a substantial amount of their compensation by earning favorable mentions and the fact that Ben can't be bothered to complete something he sees as meaningless when it's quite clearly not the case for someone not in his position, speaks volumes to both his character view of others.
Correct me if I'm wrong here... but Ben doesn't ask people to give him reviews? He also doesn't "push" people to sign up for credit cards, not in the same way at least as an employee asking you for positive feedback.Hotels should not be soliciting people for positive reviews. He pointed out that it is okay to ask on paper for people to leave feedback. Employees should also not be asking guests for positive words for their management to see. That is just uncomfortable.

I think you are stretching on this one.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Correct me if I'm wrong here... but Ben doesn't ask people to give him reviews? He also doesn't "push" people to sign up for credit cards, not in the same way at least as an employee asking you for positive feedback.Hotels should not be soliciting people for positive reviews. He pointed out that it is okay to ask on paper for people to leave feedback. Employees should also not be asking guests for positive words for their management to see. That is just uncomfortable.

I think you are stretching on this one.
The degree of outrage by Ben seems misplaced. For someone who travels the world writing reviews of luxury hotels and taking hotels to task for any small denial of luxury treatment, it is a bit odd for him to post two separate posts complaining of the nerve of hotels asking them to review his experience.

TripAdvisor helps fellow travelers. In reality, he has a motive not to see the Park Hyatt Moline or Le Meridien Mogadishu get lots of TripAdvisor reviews: people will go to TripAdvisor and not his blog for reviews.

There's a self interest at stake here.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:26 am

I think he simply doesn't like the idea of "giving away" his reviews to the likes of TA.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222

There's a self interest at stake here.
Originally Posted by JetAway
I think he simply doesn't like the idea of "giving away" his reviews to the likes of TA.
You guys are getting ridiculous. I think this whole thing is a valid issue and is popping up at many hotels. In fact, employees are often told they will be given a bonus if a glowing review features their name. What's next? A hotel saying they'll knock off a little bit off your bill if you post the review in front of the employee? You're going to have to support your argument a little more than Ben doesn't want to give away a review for free and is therefore complaining that he was asked to give a review (on tripadvisor mind you.... not even on his own blog).
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
You guys are getting ridiculous. I think this whole thing is a valid issue and is popping up at many hotels. In fact, employees are often told they will be given a bonus if a glowing review features their name. What's next? A hotel saying they'll knock off a little bit off your bill if you post the review in front of the employee? You're going to have to support your argument a little more than Ben doesn't want to give away a review for free and is therefore complaining that he was asked to give a review (on tripadvisor mind you.... not even on his own blog).
Youre right of course that he would never say anything bad about a hotel asking him for a good review on his own blog. We have seen that before and he has no problem accepting perks which obviously given in hopen of a good blog review.

I'm not saying it's insane to think it's annoying to be asked to review a service repeatedly. But it is rich for someone who reviews hotels for a living to complain about being asked to review a hotel, and post 2 blog posts about it. What's the upside for him? More special treatment from a hotel expecting a better review in the future? Incentives for good reviews are part of life for Ben, even if they aren't as explicit as the hypo youve described.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:34 pm

Well, if I was writing reviews on my own site for a living I wouldn't turn around and write reviews on a for-profit site like TA. While this may a bit of an issue for the average guest (I simply ignore such requests) Lucky may be more sensitive to these requests given his job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.