Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Some of the passionate defenders may also come from several years ago before Ben started censoring comments on his blog. Ben had one or two commenters who regularly made awful comments about his sexual orientation (wasn't relevant then and not relevant now), and for a long time, he just let the commenters keep posting. He eventually realized that the comments simply added nothing to the value of his site and banned them. Before that happened, however, most other commenters passionately defended him from this cyberbullying.

I think a certain segment of commenters remain committed to the idea that any comment that questions Ben is manifestly unfair, causing them to defend him even now when the basis of the disagreement can be more substantive.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Originally Posted by HouFly
ben has a lifetime ban from UA I believe
I've seen this (or similar ) several times on this thread and understand it stems from re-using e-certs (?).

Can someone point me to more info -- via PM if that's more comfortable for you. Just idle curiosity (no train/car wrecks to watch today )....
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 24.05.2004
I've seen this (or similar ) several times on this thread and understand it stems from re-using e-certs (?).

Can someone point me to more info -- via PM if that's more comfortable for you. Just idle curiosity (no train/car wrecks to watch today )....
I've heard so many rumors on why it is and I think at this point the myth has outgrown the fact so it's likely none of us will ever really know why (or if this is even really true).
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by 24.05.2004

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22917959-post145.html
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
True that and isn't that just a little bit sad.
If you really want to disappoint fan boys... clue them in the fact that Ben really isn't spoiling his parents with round the world first class trips and $$$ visits to Bali. He has in fact been leveraging their credit scores in order to keep his business afloat. If any of you have questioned if his travels are really sustainable, you should know that it would not be possible to maintain without his parents providing miles to him via credit card sign ups (and early on visits to Europe).
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by cruisr

Any idea why that blog, more so then most, seems to generate such passionate fan boys? It really is pretty funny. I never see, "leave Gary alone" comments on VFTW but if anyone comments negatively on their hero Lucky, the comments either say the commenters are "jealous" or "haters".
I hope this doesn't violate TOS: I know several 40+ year old gay men who follow 'Lucky's blog' religiously. It's been said that travel is aspirational and I think many of these men aspire to 'go on a trip' with Lucky, in the meantime his blog updates and ambiguous nature of his travel companions keeps them reading.

(I think Lucky may know this, so I applaud him for not being creeped out by who reads his blog)
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Some of the passionate defenders may also come from several years ago before Ben started censoring comments on his blog. Ben had one or two commenters who regularly made awful comments about his sexual orientation (wasn't relevant then and not relevant now), and for a long time, he just let the commenters keep posting. He eventually realized that the comments simply added nothing to the value of his site and banned them. Before that happened, however, most other commenters passionately defended him from this cyberbullying.

I think a certain segment of commenters remain committed to the idea that any comment that questions Ben is manifestly unfair, causing them to defend him even now when the basis of the disagreement can be more substantive.
Still happens, the potshots are more subtle now.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
If you really want to disappoint fan boys... clue them in the fact that Ben really isn't spoiling his parents with round the world first class trips and $$$ visits to Bali. He has in fact been leveraging their credit scores in order to keep his business afloat. If any of you have questioned if his travels are really sustainable, you should know that it would not be possible to maintain without his parents providing miles to him via credit card sign ups (and early on visits to Europe).
And you know this because...

I have to say, as predicted, these threads honor the forum guidelines more in the continual breach of them than in the observance.

Blogs focused on miles and points. Discussion is permitted on the blog but not the blogger. Discussion of the blogger and his or her character, e.g. ethics and morals, will be deleted.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 23, 2015 at 4:21 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
That is hearsay.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Still happens, the potshots are more subtle now.

I have to say, as predicted, these threads honor the forum guidelines more in the continual breach of them than in the observance.
Presumably you're aware of the proper procedures to follow if you feel a post violates some rule or guideline, correct? Little triangle with the exclamation point in it.

Originally Posted by CMK10
That is hearsay.
So is 75% of what is posted on FT! Take it up with the OP on MilePoint if it gives you heartburn.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Presumably you're aware of the proper procedures to follow if you feel a post violates some rule or guideline, correct? Little triangle with the exclamation point in it.
Hey, who am I to tattle to teacher in the smack talk about bloggers fo- I mean, the External Miles and Points Resources forum?

I think it's pretty obvious what most of the people here want to do when it comes to these threads, because it's not "a post" that happens occasionally. It's a lot of them, consistently, over time. I think the guideline as stated is pretty useless if the membership involved in the conversation here doesn't particularly feel like honoring it. It's why I predicted it would go this way.

And hey, it probably drives up readership, ad impressions and revenue for IB the same way that clickbait-y headlines do, like One Woman Will Now Think Twice Before Bringing Another Unique Accessory Across the U.S. Border...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 23, 2015 at 8:45 pm
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:35 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Hey, who am I to tattle to teacher in the smack talk about bloggers fo- I mean, the External Miles and Points Resources forum?

I think it's pretty obvious what most of the people here want to do when it comes to these threads, because it's not "a post" that happens occasionally. It's a lot of them, consistently, over time. I think the guideline as stated is pretty useless if the membership involved in the conversation here doesn't particularly feel like honoring it. It's why I predicted it would go this way.

And hey, it probably drives up readership, ad impressions and revenue for IB the same way that clickbait-y headlines do, like One Woman Will Now Think Twice Before Bringing Another Unique Accessory Across the U.S. Border...
Perhaps we need a forum to discuss the EMaPR forum!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:09 pm

This information has been posted on his blog and in the comments section of his blog. If you want to Google his blog you will see that has credited family members providing miles via sign up bonuses.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Perhaps we need a forum to discuss the EMaPR forum!
Who is watching the watchers watching the watchers??
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
This information has been posted on his blog and in the comments section of his blog. If you want to Google his blog you will see that has credited family members providing miles via sign up bonuses.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+mother+signup

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...r+mother+bonus

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...edit-card-mom/

This doesn't exactly "prove":

"leveraging their credit scores in order to keep his business afloat"

"his parents providing miles to him via credit card sign ups"

I assume you've audited his business, then? Maybe have some IRS information? Do tell. I'm dying to hear more about why this is relevant to his blog content, since we of course are going to adhere to the forum guidelines about discussing the blog, not the blogger.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:10 pm

Hence what I was saying above about hearsay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.