Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:12 pm

While I think the tenor of some of the preceding posts concerning Ford are pointlessly catty and to me reflect poorly on the poster vs the supposed target, I'm a bit concerned that apparently Ford has quit his previous job and now lists his employment as "blogger" at OMAAT.

I thought something was odd after the most recent post where he is traveling PEK (after BOG & PTY in the past few weeks) - basically, no job will give you that much vacation time. If you do a search on linked in, you'd find the info.

There is a reasonable chance that this can get quite messy. Of course, everyone involved is fairly young and so will have lots of time to bounce back.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by paynea
While I think the tenor of some of the preceding posts concerning Ford are pointlessly catty and to me reflect poorly on the poster vs the supposed target, I'm a bit concerned that apparently Ford has quit his previous job and now lists his employment as "blogger" at OMAAT.

I thought something was odd after the most recent post where he is traveling PEK (after BOG & PTY in the past few weeks) - basically, no job will give you that much vacation time. If you do a search on linked in, you'd find the info.

There is a reasonable chance that this can get quite messy. Of course, everyone involved is fairly young and so will have lots of time to bounce back.
I wouldn't be too concerned about Ford's apparent lack of serious employment. Check out his Instagram account (referenced on OMaaT) for a peek into the ways he spends his time.

"Get messy"? I imagine so.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I don't read any of Ford's posts and I'm not really interested in his personal life at all but, finally, even I think Paynea's "tenor" comment above is correct.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I agree that the tenor of some of the posts is off, which is too bad, because I think there is a valid criticism that Ford doesn't really know what he's talking about, and the quality of his writing is bad (disorganized, lacking topic sentences and clarity, etc.). Unfortunately, anyone with WordPress can call themselves an expert on a blog, and to the average reader, someone who has flown more than 2 different business class seats is one, relatively.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:47 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I agree that the tenor of some of the posts is off, which is too bad, because I think there is a valid criticism that Ford doesn't really know what he's talking about, and the quality of his writing is bad (disorganized, lacking topic sentences and clarity, etc.). Unfortunately, anyone with WordPress can call themselves an expert on a blog, and to the average reader, someone who has flown more than 2 different business class seats is one, relatively.
Ah, but is he a thought leader!?

Because that's a thing.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by paynea

Ford can now have business tax deductions for any out of pocket expenses for hotel, meals, flights, cabs, uber, etc etc. I think the IRS would have a field day auditing this gang. I can promise if a Ford break up comes he will not continue writing. His writing style and his knowledge of the topics he writes about are both immature.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
None of them can really write. Lucky's overuse of emphasis, quotation marks and hyperbole is atrocious, and the other three or four just write filler articles (some of their trip reports are interesting at least, but still poorly written). Such is life in the 21st century - create a blog, call yourself a writer, but you've never actually studied writing in any shape or form (outside of high school, perhaps).
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr
Ford can now have business tax deductions for any out of pocket expenses for hotel, meals, flights, cabs, uber, etc etc. I think the IRS would have a field day auditing this gang. I can promise if a Ford break up comes he will not continue writing. His writing style and his knowledge of the topics he writes about are both immature.
Contrary to public perception, businesses cannot expense just about everything. Even travel and meals are not fully deductible depending on the purpose and duration of the trip. If these guys do expense everything, they are almost certainly going to get a slap on the wrist if they were to be audited.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
If these guys do expense everything, they are almost certainly going to get a slap on the wrist if they were to be audited.
Or they could simply take all their money and move to some remote location overseas. A blog can be written from the jungles of the Congo if someone was so inclined.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Or they could simply take all their money and move to some remote location overseas. A blog can be written from the jungles of the Congo if someone was so inclined.
But, but, but there are no hotels there that would recognize his titannis. I think I just made up the word titannis but it works,

Just don't try to hide money in Panama lol
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Contrary to public perception, businesses cannot expense just about everything. Even travel and meals are not fully deductible depending on the purpose and duration of the trip.
It just seems like there is a reason why Ford is now considered an employee of the blog and I don't think it is because of his eloquent writing style, his keen insight, or Lucky's desire to save him from the tough, tough world of being a trust fund kid.

Last edited by iadisgreat; Apr 5, 2016 at 5:32 am
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
You might want to tell that to the very large, very publicly traded company for which I work regarding my weekly trips. In any case, Lucky and co could easily make the case that these trips are for the blog and thus mostly tax deductible, I'm not sure how that is in question.
What your company does when it expenses your travel is completely different from what Omaat does if/when it expenses theirs. That the trips are mostly tax deductible is not in question whatsoever. Merely that travel is always tax deductible under any circumstance.

Give this a read and think about how that may apply specifically to many of the trips with Ford recently.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch01.html
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cruisr
Just don't try to hide money in Panama lol
Mossack Fonseca baby
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
What your company does when it expenses your travel is completely different from what Omaat does if/when it expenses theirs. That the trips are mostly tax deductible is not in question whatsoever. Merely that travel is always tax deductible under any circumstance.

Give this a read and think about how that may apply specifically to many of the trips with Ford recently.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch01.html
Ah you caught me before I edited my post, since I realized that the two situations were largely different. Though, I still do think there is a reason why OMAAT's significant others become named writers of the blog while they are together, but disappear once the relationship runs its course.

Appreciate the link, will take a look at it.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
...there is a reason why OMAAT's significant others become named writers of the blog while they are together, but disappear once the relationship runs its course.
Unlike MMS where they and the in-laws stay forever?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.