One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have a really strong compulsion to comment to his blog commentators, if you want travel advice, you're better off just using wikitravel. And seriously, claiming the area is sterile when he didn't leave the hotel? That's rich ... How does he know? Scanned the sidewalks from his suite?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I think it's possible, really, to be a bit more creative than that in complaining about the credit card links -- on a points & miles blog, of all things. See, for example, some of the posts before yours.

If complaining about that sort of thing is truly your bag, there's also lower hanging fruit out there. Today's post on "Which [Card] is Better" might even be worthy of another link count . . . but then you'd have to read the post. And life is too short.

Or you could do something even more radical and just skip the card posts.

Try it.
who says I'm complaining? just referencing actual posts. but thanks. @:-)
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
There is a Sub-Reddit called "The Hobby"
Old May 2, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Hey Alaska, all is forgiven!
Old May 2, 2016, 3:08 pm

Lucky is at it again. Preacher boy for Alaska Airlines. He's outright advocating to his readers about buying AS miles. Pathetic. Points.com must be paying a solid commission.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I saw the prior post and was inclined to disagree, politely of course.

Then I saw Ben's separately posted valuations of the AS mile purchase price (1.97 cents) and of AS miles themselves (1.8 cents). Usually in that case he would post, say that a targeted purchase/use might make sense, and then recommend against any "speculative" purchase.

So nice post, Code Adam.

Ben also says that it doesn't make any sense to redeem miles/points at all if you can snag one of those cheap business fares that's going around. Ah, the future beckons still.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
We can safely set in stone Lucky will - buy business class if the price is attractive (this is for everyone different if it is attractive or affordable in 1500~3500 usd / gbp / eur or other currency)
- redeem miles for business class if it is an complex itnerary (prices would go in flux hence better value for him to redeem)
- buy first class if departing from CAI / CMB or other low fare point of departure sale point
- redeem miles for first class on those routes and airlines which are aspirational

In that scope one most take in account the commissions, high profile, worshipping and established links to creditcard / hotel and travel industry to see if it is still a true miles and points blog.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Ben also says that it doesn't make any sense to redeem miles/points at all if you can snag one of those cheap business fares that's going around. Ah, the future beckons still.
I find it curious that the titans haven't noticed that airlines will pay them 2-3% commission if they direct customers to their sites to book tickets. Flightdeal directs you to their Priceline affiliate link, but the actual airline websites pay far more.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I find it curious that the titans haven't noticed that airlines will pay them 2-3% commission if they direct customers to their sites to book tickets. Flightdeal directs you to their Priceline affiliate link, but the actual airline websites pay far more.
None of the Big 3 US airlines pay.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
None of the Big 3 US airlines pay.
Correct, and even the others are challenging to work with in some scenarios.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
DL used to have one. Closed down in 2011.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Loved the Starbuck GC plug with not a mention of the fact that the 'purchase now' link points to an affiliate link.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like Ben doesn't understand that cookies still exist, even when not logged in.

It's like he just learned was an IP is and it has to be the simple answer to everything.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Loved the Starbuck GC plug with not a mention of the fact that the 'purchase now' link points to an affiliate link.
That's why I refuse to use any of his links.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:20 am

I brought this up in the other thread. BoardingArea bloggers will post targeted offers knowing that up to 95% of their readers do not have access to the offer, but if they tell their readers "hey click this link to check if you've been targeted"... it's actually an affiliate link in the off chance that you will keep surfing amazon or whatever site and purchase something. No disclosure that they are making $$ if you purchase something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.