One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I, for one, was actually surprised to see him talk about the sights in Beijing. I haven't seen that before from him. He even used the word "culture" in there. Granted, it sounds like he's got a schlepping-around routine he does in Beijing, but I was glad to hear that it included sites of historical importance and not just 1200 thread count sheets.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Lol I can't believe the hate or it "jealousy" for the way Lucky travels. Who said there was a requirement to stay at a 1 star locally run bed and breakfast on international trips? If the guy wants to stay at the Ritz, who are you to judge?
Like its been said - plenty of us stay at nice hotels - great.
Its the fact that most people leave the hotel and/or the lounge at the hotel if they want to claim that a place is in their "top three"
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Like its been said - plenty of us stay at nice hotels - great.
Its the fact that most people leave the hotel and/or the lounge at the hotel if they want to claim that a place is in their "top three"
He does. He even wrote a blog not too long ago about why Hong Kong was one of his favorite cities. He listed a ton of activities.

What more are you looking for?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TMM1982
He does. He even wrote a blog not too long ago about why Hong Kong was one of his favorite cities. He listed a ton of activities.

What more are you looking for?
An exploration of the local culture and a recitation of things other than the top 10 sights listed in Fodor's.

It's also obvious that one reason that Ben likes these cities is that they all have a culture of service and luxury in their hotels and restaurants (and airlines), which is why, for example, he would hate South America and doesn't travel there.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
which is why, for example, he would hate South America and doesn't travel there.
He's been to Argentina, Brazil and Colombia (and maybe others).
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by JetAway
He's been to Argentina, Brazil and Colombia (and maybe others).
Mileage runs, not for the locations.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
Mileage runs, not for the locations.
Not exactly true. I believe he attended a sponsored food and wine event in Argentina awhile back and reported on it extensively.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:17 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Speaking from personal experience, when I want to know what to expect in a premium airline cabin or lounge or in a chain hotel suite omaat is one of the must-stops. And now that he's being forced into more and more business class cabins there is more utility in this area than ever. That's his wheelhouse. Another stop is vftw. Both are transportation and chain hotel bloggers.

When planning a few days in Hong Kong I don't even think of omaat or vftw, and to the extent there are a few posts about what to do there I don't find it compelling (gary's the gourmand's posts included). It's just not their area of expertise. Which is fine! They are not trying to be travel (or food) bloggers.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Speaking from personal experience, when I want to know what to expect in a premium airline cabin or lounge or in a chain hotel suite omaat is one of the must-stops. And now that he's being forced into more and more business class cabins there is more utility in this area than ever. That's his wheelhouse. Another stop is vftw. Both are transportation and chain hotel bloggers.

When planning a few days in Hong Kong I don't even think of omaat or vftw, and to the extent there are a few posts about what to do there I don't find it compelling (gary's the gourmand's posts included). It's just not their area of expertise. Which is fine! They are not trying to be travel (or food) bloggers.
This. Some can't seem to understand that miles/points blogging and travel blogging are two distinct things.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
This. Some can't seem to understand that miles/points blogging and travel blogging are two distinct things.
One poster on this thread wants Lucky to boycott the Maldives until homosexuals are allowed to love each other openly and publicly. I guess they expect a miles blogger to lead the charge for global human rights.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:57 am

I don't disagree that they *can* be different things. But Ben doesn't sell himself as one of the two.
He describes himself as " a travel consultant, blogger, and avid points collector", his blog "chronicles his adventures" - which sounds like a travel blog to me. His instagram defines himself as a "full time travel blogger."

He's not really a miles and points blogger, since most of his stuff is reviews of luxury hotels he pays cash for.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Adam1222
He's not really a miles and points blogger, since most of his stuff is reviews of luxury hotels he pays cash for.
I agree, he's neither a travel blogger (although I agree that's how he erroneously markets himself) nor a points and miles blogger (the information he provides in this space is tainted by self-interest).

His actual experience, expertise and utility is in the premium airline cabin and lounge and mid-to-high end chain hotel premium offering review space.

Last edited by kokonutz; Apr 11, 2016 at 9:59 am
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I agree, he's neither a travel blogger (although I agree that's how he erroneously markets himself) nor a points and miles blogger (the information he provides in this space is tainted by self-interest).

His actual experience, expertise and utility is in the premium airline cabin and lounge and mid-to-high end chain hotel premium offering review space.
Basically we are learning that the Emperor has no clothes.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Wow, there's a lot above that isn't quite right.

The correct kernel here, as noted already once above, is that Ben's "actual experience, expertise and utility is in the premium airline cabin and lounge and mid-to-high end chain hotel premium offering review space." And that is, in fact, how he sells himself and what he himself repeatedly says on his blog. At that, I think he's the best in the world -- at least that I've seen.

That granted, it's also true, as Adam noted, that he sure has a fair bit of other stuff on his blog such as, for example, how great Dubai (!) is. What annoys me is that he seems to have no idea how off-the-charts that opinion is. Shanghai, too. Uhg.

(Full disclosure: I like places like New York, Paris & London.)

But he has actually been to South America several times. Again, as already noted once above, there was a long, multi-part review of his wine-country tour there. While the trip was sponsored, the report was one of the best he's published. He also recently spent the better part of a week in Columbia, if I have the country right; that write-up was considerably less impressive. All this certainly makes for a good start if not quite enough to satisfy the ghost of Hiram Bingham.

I think the blog still clearly has much to recommend it. Even the credit card reviews are usually helpful and accurate. So implying that the whole shebang is some kind of emperor-has-no-clothes affair is really, in my view, almost wholly without foundation.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Wow, there's a lot above that isn't quite right.

The correct kernel here, as noted already once above, is that Ben's "actual experience, expertise and utility is in the premium airline cabin and lounge and mid-to-high end chain hotel premium offering review space." And that is, in fact, how he sells himself and what he himself repeatedly says on his blog. At that, I think he's the best in the world -- at least that I've seen.

That granted, it's also true, as Adam noted, that he sure has a fair bit of other stuff on his blog such as, for example, how great Dubai (!) is. What annoys me is that he seems to have no idea how off-the-charts that opinion is. Shanghai, too. Uhg.

(Full disclosure: I like places like New York, Paris & London.)

But he has actually been to South America several times. Again, as already noted once above, there was a long, multi-part review of his wine-country tour there. While the trip was sponsored, the report was one of the best he's published. He also recently spent the better part of a week in Columbia, if I have the country right; that write-up was considerably less impressive. All this certainly makes for a good start if not quite enough to satisfy the ghost of Hiram Bingham.

I think the blog still clearly has much to recommend it. Even the credit card reviews are usually helpful and accurate. So implying that the whole shebang is some kind of emperor-has-no-clothes affair is really, in my view, almost wholly without foundation.
1) you ignored the cited evidence that shows Ben indeed holds himself out as a travel blogger
2) your evidence of South America travel is a) a sponsored post and b) his Colombia posts where he explicitly acknowledges he rarely travels to South America. Keep in mind there have been hundreds of posts on the UAE alone. Two trips in 7 years for a guy who does 4 trips a week? (Whose home base is Florida and flies AA)

The two things you've pointed to do nothing to address the actual point: Ben's favorite places to travel are those with a culture of service and many opportunities for him to be waited on hand and foot.

Did I say that made his blog useless? Nope. But it's a relevant factor a reader should consider in determining whether they should care if Dubai is his "favorite" city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.