One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I know this goes against the party line but: I thought Ben's take on the AA changes this week was really good. He was, at least in my opinion, fair and objective and realistic.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I know this goes against the party line but: I thought Ben's take on the AA changes this week was really good. He was, at least in my opinion, fair and objective and realistic.
Bizarre to me that he dislikes it being easier for more people to obtain status, since that will compete with his status for upgrades.

Doesn't he want more of his readers to get status?

Very selfish, IMHO.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:01 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by CMK10
His analysis was good. And certainly better than Gary's relative (and all too typical) AA sycophantism. ^
Old Nov 7, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
His analysis was good. And certainly better than Gary's relative (and all too typical) AA sycophantism. ^
Yeah I thought it was pretty decent. Sure, as an EXP Ben has his perspective that is going to be self-focused...but at least it wasn't a rainbows and unicorns defense of AA. And with elite changes you always have the two sides of the debate whether the change is "good" or "bad".

Me, AA status isn't in the cards at least next year so I'm just waiting to see how bad the award chard devaluations will be.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Yeah I thought it was pretty decent. Sure, as an EXP Ben has his perspective that is going to be self-focused...but at least it wasn't a rainbows and unicorns defense of AA. And with elite changes you always have the two sides of the debate whether the change is "good" or "bad".

Me, AA status isn't in the cards at least next year so I'm just waiting to see how bad the award chard devaluations will be.
I suppose the biggest news is that Gary's 'reverse psychology' of thanking AA for the minor devaluations last year to forestall a move to revenue based status failed.

But don't worry, it still could have been worse!!!!

It's a brave new world out there. Money talks, mileage runners sit in coach.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:29 pm

I thought these guys were famous bloggers. Shouldnt they have known about the AA changes ahead of time?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by whlinder
I thought these guys were famous bloggers. Shouldnt they have known about the AA changes ahead of time?
In fact on 02 October VFTW declared (as he has more than once) that:

It’s too late to push wholesale changes to the AAdvantage program for the 2016 program year in any reasonable way.

If they did so, they’d be breaking with even the convention that Delta has followed. They would be changing earning of miles or elite status after customers had begun buying tickets for the new year, based on American’s own talking points — tickets purchased with the expectation of published benefits they would receive.
Of course the RDM earning part is apparently closer to the end of 2016, but the rest isn't far off. Gary's public wishing didn't do much good.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:04 am

Lucky's post about scamming IHG by making multiple accounts is horrendous.
He mind as well make a post explaining how to use a United voucher over and over.

And while we are getting into ethics, how about the boyfriend using him to travel the world? No one else has the balls to say it.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by standingoten
He mind as well make a post explaining how to use a United voucher over and over.

And while we are getting into ethics, how about the boyfriend using him to travel the world? No one else has the balls to say it.
The boyfriend's trips are unethical? As old as history . . .
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by josephstern
The boyfriend's trips are unethical? As old as history . . .
Very true. My wife is guilty of it.

Of course by having write a few blog posts he can be on the payroll and deduct the costs of those trips as business expenses.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold

Did he remove it?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Did he remove it?
Of course not. He still needs click bait posts to make money.
How else is he going to pay United after they sued him for the voucher fiasco.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Of course not. He still needs click bait posts to make money.
How else is he going to pay United after they sued him for the voucher fiasco.
United sued him? When? Link?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
So I guess I'll go ahead and answer that one.

Some posters here, the very small minority obviously, just make stuff up. Specifically, in this instance, there's not even a hint anywhere that Ben was ever actually sued by United; and there's also no sign of the boyfriend's being anything other than (as another poster already noted) a class act. A decent writer, too, if that means anything.

Also, could someone help me out for a moment? I can't remember the post where Ben recommended scamming IHG. I looked for it and couldn't find it. I tend, though, not to read the hotel program posts too carefully. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
So I guess I'll go ahead and answer that one.

Some posters here, the very small minority obviously, just make stuff up. Specifically, in this instance, there's not even a hint anywhere that Ben was ever actually sued by United; and there's also no sign of the boyfriend's being anything other than (as another poster already noted) a class act. A decent writer, too, if that means anything.

Also, could someone help me out for a moment? I can't remember the post where Ben recommended scamming IHG. I looked for it and couldn't find it. I tend, though, not to read the hotel program posts too carefully. Thanks in advance.
It wasn't really a scam - it just pointed out that the terms and conditions for their latest promo allow you to send in an entry (or multiple entries) by mail to possibly get awarded IHG points. Lots of people commented and ran the numbers, and it appeared that the possible rewards weren't really worth the time required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.