Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
This one is about a YouTube video with a humorous sketch about a couple making the attempt. But never fear, the post also has a link back to OMAAT's earlier post on the subject.
Sex sells!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This one is about a YouTube video with a humorous sketch about a couple making the attempt. But never fear, the post also has a link back to OMAAT's earlier post on the subject.
In other words - the results were so good that good SEO means posting a similar thread. This really is blogging 101, and he clearly gets it.

In my blogging days we always joked that the SEO tool would go off the chart with " Justin Bieber boobs snakes on a plane" as the post title.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

huffpo did things like 'what time does superbowl start'
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
In my blogging days we always joked that the SEO tool would go off the chart with " Justin Bieber boobs snakes on a plane" as the post title.
I'm reminded of this legend of a tweet:

https://twitter.com/eoghanmcdermo/st...10318220193793
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Today's post by Travis is quite a hoot as are the comments. It actually makes Delta Points posts look somewhat professional by comparison:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-for-20-hours/

- Lack of geographic knowledge Part 1: The post incorrectly describes the Goose Bay area as

part of Labrador in extreme eastern Quebec
- Lack of geographic knowledge Part 2: The Daily Mail article quotes a passenger who states that the crew spent the night at a hotel in "Newfoundland and Labrador".

Which leads Travis show how thoroughly confused he is about Canadian geography, chastising the Daily Mail and the passenger for not realizing Newfoundland is very far from Labrador so they couldn't have stayed in Newfoundland!

ETA: Looks like the referenced post texts have been deleted/revised since I posted.

Last edited by 84fiero; Jun 14, 2015 at 7:56 am
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you edited 11 minutes after posting, so take down was fast?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
I went over there to see for myself. I missed the unedited post but based on the comments it must have been a doozy. How embarrassing for someone who is supposed to be a travel blogger.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
The original blog post was up longer. Based on the first blog comment it looks like a couple of hours.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I rarely click on stuff posted by Travis . . . for a reason. Some of his stuff is worthwhile; a lot, not.

On the flip side, here, some of the posts also leave me shaking my head, including recently the one about how some 20-something isn't likely to be able to navigate tax, legal and business complexities. The reality is that a lot of successful companies are founded by people in their 20s, that very smart venture capital firms believe and invest in many of them, and that entire consulting, accounting and law-firm sub-industries exist to advise them. There's a lot of peer-to-peer networking and advice sharing that goes on as well, of course. Or at least the above is what I've seen, personally, over the years.

(Sorry, one added thought: You can still do worse than to read Travis. A recent TPG post called an umlaut in a German place name "punctuation," both in the headline and in text. The whole post keyed off of that "punctuation" issue. So there are travel bloggers in the world who know, well, practically nothing about the world.)

Last edited by FallenPlat; Jun 15, 2015 at 8:44 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Agreed with successful 20-somethings, having been in tech since 22 myself, believe me I know. I hope for OMAAT's sake that he has hired such good (or better) advisors. Because he could have really used them to avoid the whole UA cert fiasco, and someone could have told our seasoned credit card pitcher that databases get hacked and criminals make fake cards with stolen numbers.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-know-existed/
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

he does not seem interested in technical side, and nuances of booking award flights do not really count as technical

but this is not really specific to him, it applies to most/many people
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
So there are travel bloggers in the world who know, well, practically nothing about the world.)
But they know the colour of the bathroom tiles at the Hyatt in MLE. Do you?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:56 am

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...g650/#comments

Qwerty: "Lucky, how is this any worse than your Etihad fundraiser?"

Ouchhhh
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by LR2013
Agreed with successful 20-somethings, having been in tech since 22 myself, believe me I know. I hope for OMAAT's sake that he has hired such good (or better) advisors. Because he could have really used them to avoid the whole UA cert fiasco, and someone could have told our seasoned credit card pitcher that databases get hacked and criminals make fake cards with stolen numbers.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-know-existed/
I couldn't believe he was unaware of that type of CC fraud, it's hardly rare!

Originally Posted by standingoten
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...g650/#comments

Qwerty: "Lucky, how is this any worse than your Etihad fundraiser?"

Ouchhhh
Why he is so obsessed with the Creflo Dollar story is beyond me. Other than the fact it's about purchasing an airplane (a business jet at that), it's far from his area of business or blog theme.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I couldn't believe he was unaware of that type of CC fraud, it's hardly rare!

Why he is so obsessed with the Creflo Dollar story is beyond me. Other than the fact it's about purchasing an airplane (a business jet at that), it's far from his area of business or blog theme.
Maybe he's jealous.

Next a kickstarter so his fanboys can get him a jet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.