FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
'target audience' ->

discussion about the new Australia flight:

TheRealBabushka says:
June 9, 2015 at 10:58 am
Yeah I’d say it’s Brisbane, which is not great. On one hand you get the chance to use SWU, on the other hand the QF international First lounge at BNE is rubbish (compared to SYD and MEL).

This guy doesn’t care about Great Barrier Reef, he cares about a lounge being rubbish…
Speechless.

The only reason to travel is not to discover the world and experience
amazing things but to make you feel better about yourself. Make you feel
like you are "better" because you sit in First with all the celebrities...
and drink free Krug

Let you forget about your miserable life for a moment...
Who doesn't want that?
You seriously think that attitude doesn't exist on FT, if you want to extrapolate from one person?

Go check out the Ego Trippin- I mean, Trip Report forum sometime. I mean, sheesh, there's a thread about drinking 8 bottles of DP on one plane flight...

I mean, we have a forum full of a bunch of people taking pictures of their meals, their suites, and their expensive F booze. Sounds pretty gauche to me. I bet I could find you multiple trip reports of the Burj Al Arab in the FT TR forum... and that place is NOT classy and understated. It's all about "LOOKIT ME MA".

I'm pretty sure this particular forum is here to make us feel better about ourselves, too. Look at those no-talent bloggers, hawking their credit cards. Whereas we're the real cognescenti here...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 9, 2015 at 4:30 pm
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:52 pm

Today's newsletter topics

It's now a recurring theme to write 1 blog on a rumor, then another 1 to clarify it.

Do I really need to know that AA hints about SYD and another one on actual news of LAX-SYD, IN THE SAME DAY?
same thing about Etihad issue, and another post on the non-issue

Anyway, I only clicked on Tiffany's Google Flights post

In This Issue...

American Launching Los Angeles To Sydney Flights December 17, 2015
Using Google Flights To Find Cheap Fares <--- Tiffany
Etihad First Class Awards Using AAdvantage Miles Are Back
Hilton HHonors Eliminates Elite Benefits On Third Party Bookings
Delta Isn’t Eliminating Mixed Cabin Awards (Sort Of)
American Is About To Announce Service To Australia!
Rite Aid Free Hyatt Nights And Free Flight Promotions Update
Qatar Airways Threatens To Leave Oneworld Alliance
Etihad First Class No Longer Bookable With American Miles?
More Recent Articles
Search One Mile at a Time
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryhung

It's now a recurring theme to write 1 blog on a rumor, then another 1 to clarify it.

Do I really need to know that AA hints about SYD and another one on actual news of LAX-SYD, IN THE SAME DAY?

Well, isn't that inherent in the Internet? Things evolve quickly so you may see a post about a rumor and then a later post confirming the rumor and filling in details. I mean, even MSM news sites do that--it's supposed to be one of the advantages of online versus old media, right? And catch a thread on any developing event here at FT--I don't think that's much different from multiple posts about AA's actions.

Besides, the AA/Australia story has the potential to be much bigger than just the flights announced today. One of the benefits of the US/AA merger should be a strengthened company that can eventually narrow the gap perceived between AA and DL/UA regarding international routes.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung

Or when someone on the blog writes a post and then another writes a counter argument, could they not do this in the same post?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You seriously think that attitude doesn't exist on FT...
Of course it does.
But this blog promotes it heavily every day making the audience even dumber.
The same way the kardashians are becoming role models...

Are people stupid enough to watch reality tv, or does reality tv make them stupid?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Well, isn't that inherent in the Internet? Things evolve quickly so you may see a post about a rumor and then a later post confirming the rumor and filling in details. I mean, even MSM news sites do that--it's supposed to be one of the advantages of online versus old media, right? And catch a thread on any developing event here at FT--I don't think that's much different from multiple posts about AA's actions.
Right, and the news source (or blogger in this case) wants to be perceived as being in the loop and up to speed on the very latest, so they will post about something as soon as it's even a faint whisper.

I do find it annoying regarding the news, as 99% of what is reported isn't really that important that it can't wait a bit for verification or whatever.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG
You seriously think that attitude doesn't exist on FT, if you want to extrapolate from one person?

Go check out the Ego Trippin- I mean, Trip Report forum sometime. I mean, sheesh, there's a thread about drinking 8 bottles of DP on one plane flight...

I mean, we have a forum full of a bunch of people taking pictures of their meals, their suites, and their expensive F booze. Sounds pretty gauche to me. I bet I could find you multiple trip reports of the Burj Al Arab in the FT TR forum... and that place is NOT classy and understated. It's all about "LOOKIT ME MA".

I'm pretty sure this particular forum is here to make us feel better about ourselves, too. Look at those no-talent bloggers, hawking their credit cards. Whereas we're the real cognescenti here...
You seem particularly touchy about anything critical of Lucky. Travel "friend", or perhaps one of the commenters who oh-so disturbingly wants to be?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sounder
You seem particularly touchy about anything critical of Lucky.
In answer to your comment: I think a lot of the content in this forum is ridiculously personal as opposed to discussing content without discussing the person, and not particularly in the spirit of the rules set up for discussion here. Your post is an excellent example.

Originally Posted by Sounder
Travel "friend", or perhaps one of the commenters who oh-so disturbingly wants to be?
Are you attempting to comment on what you perceive my sexual orientation to be, and extrapolating a sexual relationship (actual or desired) based on what I post on an Internet message board?

Please proceed...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 10, 2015 at 7:50 am
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yes, I also picked up on that strange little nuance above. Classy indeed.

I think your post, though, perhaps shoots one slightly errant arrow: the 8 Bottles of Dom report is, in fact, the best "pure" trip report ever published on Flyer Talk. Everyone here, including you, has read it . . . for a reason. That said, it of course 100% proves the point you were making, and much of one Mile at a Time is very much in that vein.

So, like many here, I'm not even close to being part of the target audience. Far, far from it.

But, again, I think we need to cut to the chase here: if we're not the target audience, why do we care enough to keep reading let alone enough to comment here? That's the key question. Really!

For myself, and beyond the pure entertainment value, I gotta think about that one . . . .

Also, here's one very trivial follow-up note from a couple of days ago, about languages. Almost all of my recreational reading is in French, and one of my favorite plays is Cyrano de Bergerac, particularly Act I, scene iv -- the famous "nose" scene if any of you caught the veiled imitative reference a few posts earlier.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I think your post, though, perhaps shoots one slightly errant arrow: the 8 Bottles of Dom report is, in fact, the best "pure" trip report ever published on Flyer Talk. Everyone here, including you, has read it . . . for a reason. That said, it of course 100% proves the point you were making, and much of one Mile at a Time is very much in that vein.
I actually agree. I think many of the excellent TRs have a "LOOKIT ME, MA!" element to them.

Egoless people don't generally write about themselves while including pictures.

And that's fine. If we were all selfless saints without aspiration this would be a very boring place. Lucky actually seems somewhat self-conscious about writing about the #firstworldproblems of upgrades and champagne.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I actually agree. I think many of the excellent TRs have a "LOOKIT ME, MA!" element to them.

Egoless people don't generally write about themselves while including pictures.

And that's fine. If we were all selfless saints without aspiration this would be a very boring place. Lucky actually seems somewhat self-conscious about writing about the #firstworldproblems of upgrades and champagne.
There is nothing self conscious in the writing about F or champagne. IMHO any talk of it being a first world problem strikes me as false. Another reason I stopped reading.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Ah, but you still care enough to comment!

Why?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ah, but you still care enough to comment!

Why?
Because Team FlyerTalk needs to crush Team Blogger. Rah rah for the laundry!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:54 am

I'm actually impressed by the quality of photos from Andy's Travel Blog. IMO if someone like Ben or Gary is going to review a product like Cathay for the 8+ time they should really invest in a better camera and some photography lessons. This guy is even blurring out faces which should be the standard. These photos are 100x's better TPG who is shooting everything with his iPhone 6.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Burj Al Arab in the FT TR forum... and that place is NOT classy and understated. It's all about "LOOKIT ME MA".
not everyone who pays to stay at burj (if its available via sirius points would probably be a heck of a lot?) does so because it is their style and that is their attitude. many stay there once because it is reasonably unique in a number of ways. im not saying all those ways are "good" things. its not well regarded in terms of service, yet people with service standards will still stay there once. if nothing else, its an interesting experience.

if we're not the target audience, why do we care enough to keep reading let alone enough to comment here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.