Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Apologies if this has been asked.

I'm looking at LAX-TPE-LAX 10/24-11/2. I fly United and want upgrade the flights. In order to use a Star Alliance Upgrade Award, I understand I have to book EVA in Y, B or K.

Is this correct?
Do I book via EVA then request the upgrade via United?
Is there anyway to see what the upgrade availability is?

Last edited by thekaica; Apr 24, 2015 at 2:29 am
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
You can call EVA and ask for upgrade availability for a particular flight. After confirming availability you can then book the flight online with EVA. The upgrade request can be processed on united.com, with immediate confirmation.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
You can call EVA and ask for upgrade availability for a particular flight. After confirming availability you can then book the flight online with EVA. The upgrade request can be processed on united.com, with immediate confirmation.
I called EVA and they told me the upgrade looks very good so I booked the tickets. When I applied for the SAUA on United.com, it came back with no available upgrades. Thoughts on what I should do next?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
There are other threads on this subject such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...eage-plus.html.

Experience shows that upgrade/award availability for EVA customers is more generous than for Star Alliance upgrades. Since you can't waitlist for Star upgrades, you'll want to try to upgrade frequently.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:18 am

EVA's own member upgrade != *A upgrade available

Last I know of, if you see J award space (on UA or Aeroplan), you CAN upgrade into that bucket (X?)
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by thekaica
I called EVA and they told me the upgrade looks very good so I booked the tickets. When I applied for the SAUA on United.com, it came back with no available upgrades. Thoughts on what I should do next?
I am not an EVA member and had no issues using United miles to upgrade once I got off the phone with EVA's representatives. Did you let them know you are using United miles to upgrade? Not sure if EVA has different upgrade inventory for its own members vs. non-members

If you are still within the 24 hr refund window I will probably cancel the tickets and look for another flight with *A upgrade availability.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
I am not an EVA member and had no issues using United miles to upgrade once I got off the phone with EVA's representatives. Did you let them know you are using United miles to upgrade? Not sure if EVA has different upgrade inventory for its own members vs. non-members

If you are still within the 24 hr refund window I will probably cancel the tickets and look for another flight with *A upgrade availability.
EVA said they only had 2 seats for upgrades. There's four of us traveling so I booked it as 2 reservations that way at least half of us would get upgraded. I will keep checking back with them if 2 more seats open up for SAUA.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
Did it clear? It seems like they are holding award inventory until 2 weeks out, which sounds like is the bucket the upgrades come from.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
Also - was able to upgrade around Oct/Nov of last year; it seemed to be the low season as there were many empty RL seats on the way out (not as many on the return, but still able to). IMHO, the LOS has dropped a little on RL. Safe travels.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
Did it clear? It seems like they are holding award inventory until 2 weeks out, which sounds like is the bucket the upgrades come from.
Yes, all upgrades on *A come out of that bucket.

2 weeks out from YYZ to TPE and I can redeem 8 tickets (perhaps more). So yes, it sucks that it's 2 weeks out, but if I can redeem 8 (dummy booking) with no YQ, i'm happy
Old May 9, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Where to credit miles when using a SAUA?

I have a LAX-TPE flight next week. The ticketed class was a B fare and I was able to use a star alliance upgrade award which cleared immediately. I understand that I now hold a 'Z' class ticket. It looks from EVA's website that I can't credit the miles from this flight to my home program of SQ. I had assumed that miles would be awarded based on my original 'B' class fare.

Here is the text from EVA's website (In reference to U/Z bookings):

"The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applied to transfer to other partner airlines."

Here is a direct link:

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/infinity...lassification/

Is my only option to credit to MileageLands?

Appreciate the help!

Last edited by gpeso8; May 9, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Old May 9, 2015, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I have a LAX-TPE flight next week. The ticketed class was a B fare and I was able to use a star alliance upgrade award which cleared immediately. I understand that I now hold a 'Z' class ticket. It looks from EVA's website that I can't credit the miles from this flight to my home program of SQ. I had assumed that miles would be awarded based on my original 'B' class fare.

Here is the text from EVA's website (In reference to U/Z bookings):

"The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applied to transfer to other partner airlines."

Here is a direct link:

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/infinity...lassification/

Appreciate the help!
My understanding is that if you use IML miles to upgrade, then you can only credit to IML. It does not apply if you use other airlines' miles to upgrade.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by gpeso8

Appreciate the help!
As username mentioned, the EVA rule only apply if you use IML mileage to upgrade. If you use *A upgrade, then you can credit to your own program.

EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Yes, all upgrades on *A come out of that bucket.

2 weeks out from YYZ to TPE and I can redeem 8 tickets (perhaps more). So yes, it sucks that it's 2 weeks out, but if I can redeem 8 (dummy booking) with no YQ, i'm happy
I just purchased my EVA ticket (b class). I know my next move is to go to UA.com and request a Star Alliance upgrade. If it doesn't come back immediately as confirmed, do I need to request the upgrade every day? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Originally Posted by dc_gooner
I just purchased my EVA ticket (b class). I know my next move is to go to UA.com and request a Star Alliance upgrade. If it doesn't come back immediately as confirmed, do I need to request the upgrade every day? Thanks for your help.
Yup! You can use the methods above to see if there is a likely chance for upgrade clearing but at that point its probably faster just to use the UA website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.