FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1673701-star-alliance-upgrade-award-eva.html)

thekaica Apr 20, 15 10:34 pm

Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA
 
Apologies if this has been asked.

I'm looking at LAX-TPE-LAX 10/24-11/2. I fly United and want upgrade the flights. In order to use a Star Alliance Upgrade Award, I understand I have to book EVA in Y, B or K.

Is this correct?
Do I book via EVA then request the upgrade via United?
Is there anyway to see what the upgrade availability is?

LAX/HKG Apr 20, 15 11:36 pm

You can call EVA and ask for upgrade availability for a particular flight. After confirming availability you can then book the flight online with EVA. The upgrade request can be processed on united.com, with immediate confirmation.

thekaica Apr 24, 15 2:30 am


Originally Posted by LAX/HKG (Post 24695863)
You can call EVA and ask for upgrade availability for a particular flight. After confirming availability you can then book the flight online with EVA. The upgrade request can be processed on united.com, with immediate confirmation.

I called EVA and they told me the upgrade looks very good so I booked the tickets. When I applied for the SAUA on United.com, it came back with no available upgrades. Thoughts on what I should do next?

FlytheTail Apr 24, 15 6:00 am

There are other threads on this subject such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...eage-plus.html.

Experience shows that upgrade/award availability for EVA customers is more generous than for Star Alliance upgrades. Since you can't waitlist for Star upgrades, you'll want to try to upgrade frequently.

jerryhung Apr 24, 15 9:18 am

EVA's own member upgrade != *A upgrade available

Last I know of, if you see J award space (on UA or Aeroplan), you CAN upgrade into that bucket (X?)

LAX/HKG Apr 24, 15 5:44 pm


Originally Posted by thekaica (Post 24713035)
I called EVA and they told me the upgrade looks very good so I booked the tickets. When I applied for the SAUA on United.com, it came back with no available upgrades. Thoughts on what I should do next?

I am not an EVA member and had no issues using United miles to upgrade once I got off the phone with EVA's representatives. Did you let them know you are using United miles to upgrade? Not sure if EVA has different upgrade inventory for its own members vs. non-members

If you are still within the 24 hr refund window I will probably cancel the tickets and look for another flight with *A upgrade availability.

thekaica Apr 25, 15 10:53 am


Originally Posted by LAX/HKG (Post 24716879)
I am not an EVA member and had no issues using United miles to upgrade once I got off the phone with EVA's representatives. Did you let them know you are using United miles to upgrade? Not sure if EVA has different upgrade inventory for its own members vs. non-members

If you are still within the 24 hr refund window I will probably cancel the tickets and look for another flight with *A upgrade availability.

EVA said they only had 2 seats for upgrades. There's four of us traveling so I booked it as 2 reservations that way at least half of us would get upgraded. I will keep checking back with them if 2 more seats open up for SAUA.

PacificStandTime May 6, 15 10:57 pm

Did it clear? It seems like they are holding award inventory until 2 weeks out, which sounds like is the bucket the upgrades come from.

PacificStandTime May 6, 15 11:00 pm

Also - was able to upgrade around Oct/Nov of last year; it seemed to be the low season as there were many empty RL seats on the way out (not as many on the return, but still able to). IMHO, the LOS has dropped a little on RL. Safe travels.

superangrypenguin May 7, 15 9:58 am


Originally Posted by PacificStandTime (Post 24778883)
Did it clear? It seems like they are holding award inventory until 2 weeks out, which sounds like is the bucket the upgrades come from.

Yes, all upgrades on *A come out of that bucket.

2 weeks out from YYZ to TPE and I can redeem 8 tickets (perhaps more). So yes, it sucks that it's 2 weeks out, but if I can redeem 8 (dummy booking) with no YQ, i'm happy :)

gpeso8 May 9, 15 10:14 pm

Where to credit miles when using a SAUA?
 
I have a LAX-TPE flight next week. The ticketed class was a B fare and I was able to use a star alliance upgrade award which cleared immediately. I understand that I now hold a 'Z' class ticket. It looks from EVA's website that I can't credit the miles from this flight to my home program of SQ. I had assumed that miles would be awarded based on my original 'B' class fare.

Here is the text from EVA's website (In reference to U/Z bookings):

"The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applied to transfer to other partner airlines."

Here is a direct link:

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/infinity...lassification/

Is my only option to credit to MileageLands?

Appreciate the help!

username May 9, 15 11:48 pm


Originally Posted by gpeso8 (Post 24792408)
I have a LAX-TPE flight next week. The ticketed class was a B fare and I was able to use a star alliance upgrade award which cleared immediately. I understand that I now hold a 'Z' class ticket. It looks from EVA's website that I can't credit the miles from this flight to my home program of SQ. I had assumed that miles would be awarded based on my original 'B' class fare.

Here is the text from EVA's website (In reference to U/Z bookings):

"The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applied to transfer to other partner airlines."

Here is a direct link:

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/infinity...lassification/

Is my only option to credit to MileageLands?

Appreciate the help!

My understanding is that if you use IML miles to upgrade, then you can only credit to IML. It does not apply if you use other airlines' miles to upgrade.

asiadxer May 10, 15 12:05 am


Originally Posted by gpeso8 (Post 24792408)
I have a LAX-TPE flight next week. The ticketed class was a B fare and I was able to use a star alliance upgrade award which cleared immediately. I understand that I now hold a 'Z' class ticket. It looks from EVA's website that I can't credit the miles from this flight to my home program of SQ. I had assumed that miles would be awarded based on my original 'B' class fare.

Is my only option to credit to MileageLands?

Appreciate the help!

As username mentioned, the EVA rule only apply if you use IML mileage to upgrade. If you use *A upgrade, then you can credit to your own program.

EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here

dc_gooner Jun 4, 15 2:55 pm


Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24780793)
Yes, all upgrades on *A come out of that bucket.

2 weeks out from YYZ to TPE and I can redeem 8 tickets (perhaps more). So yes, it sucks that it's 2 weeks out, but if I can redeem 8 (dummy booking) with no YQ, i'm happy :)

I just purchased my EVA ticket (b class). I know my next move is to go to UA.com and request a Star Alliance upgrade. If it doesn't come back immediately as confirmed, do I need to request the upgrade every day? Thanks for your help.

melampus83 Jun 4, 15 4:19 pm


Originally Posted by dc_gooner (Post 24920105)
I just purchased my EVA ticket (b class). I know my next move is to go to UA.com and request a Star Alliance upgrade. If it doesn't come back immediately as confirmed, do I need to request the upgrade every day? Thanks for your help.

Yup! You can use the methods above to see if there is a likely chance for upgrade clearing but at that point its probably faster just to use the UA website.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:49 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.