Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:48 pm

I have had many successes using a SAUA when there is no "I" class available. I don't use KVS or CS to check though. I just call EVA directly and ask them if they have Z-class upgradeable seats available on my flights of interest.

There have been times when I call and they ask if I'm using United miles to upgrade and if I replied yes, then they told me there were no I-class seats available. I continue to tell them I just want to know if there are Z-class seats available. When Z-class seats were available and I-class weren't, I would still be successful in upgrading using a SAUA.

My friends and I recently did this a few months ago. 3 of us all got upgraded on SFO-TPE and TPE-SFO when Z-class seats were available, but I-class weren't. Again, this is Z-class vs I-class per what EVA reps tell me when I call, not via any of the tools.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: hahaha
DP for anyone interested, since I've been following this thread for a while and nothing really made sense, the last post relevant to me was in March and it was pretty annoying to filter out the misinformation. Btw, thanks to Gengar it was your confident post that made me pull the trigger and you were right all along.
Booked: Today, July 3
Travel: January 2019/February 2019
SAUA program: Aeroplan, 25k points per way
BR 9 to upgrade to BUSINESS in this itinerary: YEG - [YVR - TPE] - SGN
Z = 8, I = 0, but agent confirmed Z is what mattered. ExpertFlyer only shows I, you have to call in to get Z availability
Hold time at 13:00 UTC-5: 30 mins to North American reservations number for Z availability check
75 seconds between clicking buy button on evaair.com and upgrade confirmed on Aeroplan site (to be fair I was probably too quick that if the upgrade declined I'd be freaking out)

Original fare booking classes: YEG -> YVR in S, YVR -> TPE -> SGN in B, SGN -> TPE -> YVR in Q, YVR -> YEG in K. YEG segments on AC.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:55 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I have a B-fare flight on EVA which was upgraded to Z. If I change my ticket to fly with another airline, I guess I will drop back in economy (B) but will I get my miles back?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: hahaha
If you did it with Aeroplan, I think this is what happens from their T&C:
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:10 pm

I was trying to book a B class ticket on eva to upgrade to business, as I usually have done. I have not been able to see B class fares, only M fares from TPE to LAX/SFO? Has any one else encountered the same problem?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by dgun25
I was trying to book a B class ticket on eva to upgrade to business, as I usually have done. I have not been able to see B class fares, only M fares from TPE to LAX/SFO? Has any one else encountered the same problem?
Yes, I've had this issue before. I'm not quite sure how a higher rate bucket could be sold out before a lower one, but it happens. You can try calling into EVA ticketing but don't get your hopes up.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:36 pm

Thanks for your response. Looking at the previous posts, it looks like people upgrade with aeroplan miles too. I have always used united miles to upgrade, but it looks like it is cheaper with Aeroplan!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:18 pm

Looking to book roundtrip YVR-TPE and using 50k AP for SAUA both legs.

Do I call the reservation/ticketing line (1-800-695-1188) to inquire about Z class availability?

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Bryan Tran
DP for anyone interested, since I've been following this thread for a while and nothing really made sense, the last post relevant to me was in March and it was pretty annoying to filter out the misinformation. Btw, thanks to Gengar it was your confident post that made me pull the trigger and you were right all along.
Sorry, I missed this post until now. The bottom line is that I can only post my own experiences and repeat what other FT'ers have experienced - as there is no definitive way to know how BR's systems work from this side of things - but I'm glad the information here provided a positive outcome for you.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:56 pm

If upgraded via SAUA, I assume pax is entitled to all J benefits?

Business check-in, priority boarding, business baggage allowance, lounge access etc.?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
If upgraded via SAUA, I assume pax is entitled to all J benefits?

Business check-in, priority boarding, business baggage allowance, lounge access etc.?
Yes.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, EVA Silver
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Looking to book roundtrip YVR-TPE and using 50k AP for SAUA both legs.

Do I call the reservation/ticketing line (1-800-695-1188) to inquire about Z class availability?

Thanks
Yes. You can call any of EVA's reservation or ticketing lines, and ask for SAUA availability (or Z, same thing).
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:33 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Is a Y->J upgrade on EVA long-haul one of the most effective uses of *A miles? It has been for me, but I am wondering if others see it differently and if so, why.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesl
Yes. You can call any of EVA's reservation or ticketing lines, and ask for SAUA availability (or Z, same thing).
No it’s not.

Z won’t get you upgraded. BR reservation will not be able to tell u I class.

Only I-class will SAUA clear. You can only verify this via UA website or expertflyer.

No no other work around.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by krispykrme

No it’s not.

Z won’t get you upgraded. BR reservation will not be able to tell u I class.

Only I-class will SAUA clear. You can only verify this via UA website or expertflyer.

No no other work around.
Not according to some reports. See post #56 above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.