Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by melampus83
Yup! You can use the methods above to see if there is a likely chance for upgrade clearing but at that point its probably faster just to use the UA website.
I got an error message in the UA website so I called and spoke to an agent. She said there was no availability. Surely there is an easier way than trying everyday!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I have a LAX-TPE flight next week. The ticketed class was a B fare and I was able to use a star alliance upgrade award which cleared immediately. I understand that I now hold a 'Z' class ticket. It looks from EVA's website that I can't credit the miles from this flight to my home program of SQ. I had assumed that miles would be awarded based on my original 'B' class fare.

Here is the text from EVA's website (In reference to U/Z bookings):

"The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applied to transfer to other partner airlines."

Here is a direct link:

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/infinity...lassification/

Is my only option to credit to MileageLands?

Appreciate the help!
Quick question. When did you book the flight and when did you request the upgrade?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by dc_gooner
Quick question. When did you book the flight and when did you request the upgrade?
I booked the flight about five days before departure and requested the upgrade about 30 minutes after making the reservation on Eva's website.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
they used to be pretty good about releasing two weeks out, but now it seems like they are just releasing space on the less desirable flights that leaves in the evening...and even that's sporadic. The worst is that even a few days out with empty seats, still no award seats! Might be b/c it's peak months, might be just over and nice while it lasted...
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
@gpeso8, did your flight show awarad space on UA?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
@gpeso8, did your flight show awarad space on UA?
The flight requested showed award availability when searching on UA. I also called BR to confirm availability. I typically book one-way flights between LAX-TPE, with less than a week's notice so the upgrades have been convenient to me.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8
The flight requested showed award availability when searching on UA. I also called BR to confirm availability. I typically book one-way flights between LAX-TPE, with less than a week's notice so the upgrades have been convenient to me.
Thanks. I hope they open up more saua seats closer to departure!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:10 am

Problems with the Star Alliance Upgrade Award Tool Online

Just wanted to share my comments from another thread on this topic. I am also having problems booking an upgrade when EVA have told me there are *A upgrade seats available. Others trying to do the same using United MP are having the same issue. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rriers-29.html
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, CO Gold
I am booked in paid biz on an upcoming BR flight. If award space opens up, I assume I can book an independent Y/B ticket and request a *A upgrade, and if it clears, cancel and refund the original booking.

Any issues with the above plan that I'm not seeing? I would need to call in to cancel the current itinerary, as my ticket was once reissued, if that makes a difference.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, EVA Airways
Quick question, I want book a roundtrip SFO <-> TPE, however, since EVA only releases upgrade seats about 14 days before (I've been checking KVS constantly) I can only upgrade the first leg of my trip.

Is this doable? Can I only upgrade one leg then wait until they release more upgrade seats for my return flight to upgrade?

I do not want to book separate one-way trips, it would be way more expensive.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:00 am

SAUA only upgrades one segment at a time. In the context of EVA only releasing award/upgrade inventory at T-14 it is normal to upgrade your outbound flight first and then when space opens up you upgrade your return flight. No problem.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:45 pm
mck

summer availability July-August

Can anyone help me with this? What is EVA SFO-TPE award upgrade or award ticket space in the summer? Will they continue to release ~2 weeks out or will they hold back space?

Would anyone with epxerience recommend I purchase B class refundable fare and see if upgrade space opens?

I prefer to use UA miles but can transfer citiTY to EVA as well.

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by mck
Can anyone help me with this? What is EVA SFO-TPE award upgrade or award ticket space in the summer? Will they continue to release ~2 weeks out or will they hold back space?

Would anyone with epxerience recommend I purchase B class refundable fare and see if upgrade space opens?

I prefer to use UA miles but can transfer citiTY to EVA as well.

Thanks!
Have no clue when inventory releases to *A.

The city->BR transfer question is complicated. With BR miles, you would upgrade from any PE fare (premiuim economy/Elite) to C for 35K miles one way (unless they are offering deals). So that is only the way to go if the price diff between a cheap PE seat and B fare justifies the extra miles.

But the BR based ups from PE are fairly wide open. I have never missed one. And in the worst case, it is cheaper than a B fare (I think, never know what other airlines code) and still has you in a PE seat (much better than the back of the bus).

Take a look at the EVA site, price fares.

Last edited by exwannabe; May 6, 2016 at 12:12 pm
Old May 6, 2016, 11:36 pm
mck

Thanks for thoughts.

I've just accumulated way more UA then BR miles and problem is Y to J with UA is 35k with (Y,B). But PE to J with UA miles requires super expensive (K). This seems well described throughout this thread.

July/August award space experience on EVA SFO<>TPE?
Old May 23, 2016, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by dc_gooner
I got an error message in the UA website so I called and spoke to an agent. She said there was no availability. Surely there is an easier way than trying everyday!
Did your error message go away when inventory became available? I'm also getting an "Error !" when trying to upgrade on an Eva flight through the UA system. Points are taken and then added back to my account. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.