Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:19 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by dkc192
FWIW, managed to confirm a SAUA on a TPE-LAX flight that had Z3 11+ months out. I didn't check the seat map before applying, but was surprised to find ~8 seats already occupied after the upgrade had confirmed. Guess I got lucky.
Nice work. LAX seems to be about the easiest upgrade route they have. Did you call to confirm Z beforehand?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
FWIW, managed to confirm a SAUA on a TPE-LAX flight that had Z3 11+ months out. I didn't check the seat map before applying, but was surprised to find ~8 seats already occupied after the upgrade had confirmed. Guess I got lucky.
Did you grab the overnight flight or the morning flight?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nichojo
Nice work. LAX seems to be about the easiest upgrade route they have. Did you call to confirm Z beforehand?
Yes.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you grab the overnight flight or the morning flight?
Overnight-ish: BR12 at 19:20. The morning BR6 had Z4 and the midnight BR16 had Z1.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:13 am

Programs: United Plat
Starting February, the following (new kind) of error message has shown every time when I applied SAUA on United.com with a BR-issued B class transpacific ticket:

Your paid booking class is not eligible for upgrades.

Once I removed the ticket number and reapplied, this is the error message:

The traveler has the same name as an existing traveler on this flight.

Had to do 24-hour cancellation a few times due to above error messages. Or just paid more to be on Premium Economy.

The good thing I found out this month is that once the ticket is cancelled, the miles used for SAUA are returned from BR to UA almost immediately. It was not the case before this year.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Starting February, the following (new kind) of error message has shown every time when I applied SAUA on United.com with a BR-issued B class transpacific ticket:

Your paid booking class is not eligible for upgrades.

Once I removed the ticket number and reapplied, this is the error message:

The traveler has the same name as an existing traveler on this flight.

Had to do 24-hour cancellation a few times due to above error messages. Or just paid more to be on Premium Economy.

The good thing I found out this month is that once the ticket is cancelled, the miles used for SAUA are returned from BR to UA almost immediately. It was not the case before this year.
Did you turn out to resolve this error by rebooking several times? You could also try NH/AV to apply SAUA.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:27 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by liligood
Did you turn out to resolve this error by rebooking several times? You could also try NH/AV to apply SAUA.
Please check the most recent update on United.com:

Star Alliance Upgrade Award | United Airlines

For EVA, only K class (the most expensive premium economy class) is eligible for Star Alliance Upgrade using United miles. Y and B are not eligible anymore.

Last edited by sfo3388; Mar 19, 2024 at 8:02 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:16 pm

Once again, I'm almost certain this is not true, at least policy-wise. There used to be a statement saying that Y and B classes are upgradable on all *A airlines at the top of the table. The table merely lists additional fare classes that are upgradable on certain airlines. For example, it would be very strange if M and U (lower than Y and B) were upgradable on LH but not Y and B.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

For EVA, only K class (the most expensive premium economy class) is eligible for Star Alliance Upgrade using United miles. Y and B are not eligible anymore.
Well that's sure crappy news - the last sweet spot for affordable J travel to Taiwan or Asia is now gone. EVA finally found a way to get rid of the pesky *A upgraders
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:19 pm

Hey sfo3388, I don’t think this explain why short-haul flight within Asia can still be upgraded with original fare class being Y/B.

I don’t know if they intentionally do this or it’s just an implementation error, but I’m leaning towards it being a bug, as other carriers’ SAUA policy still says Y/B being upgradeable, and SAUA is a alliance-level thing (so they should be consistent)
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:27 am

I'm almost certain it's a typo/omission on UA's website, and thus nothing to worry about other than the seemingly ongoing glitch of not being able to upgrade certain BR flights/classes using the UA tool at the moment.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:34 am

I'm almost certain it's a typo/omission on UA's website, and thus nothing to worry about other than the seemingly ongoing glitch of not being able to upgrade certain BR flights/classes using the UA tool at the moment.
But these issues seem linked in a way - so further investigation is warranted
Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:48 am

If you click the link for "See which class of service is associated with each fare class listed." and then under "Star Alliance partner airlines", you will see that it says:
Business class C and D fares and Economy class Y and B can be upgraded, and other fare types may also be eligible depending on the airline.
So the list just means that for EVA, K class can be upgraded in addition to the usual Y and B class.

Otherwise Air Canada also only has one fare class listed (O), which wouldn't make much sense either.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:13 pm

Please see my recent posts in this thread for an update on EVA/*A upgrade situation

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.