Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

EVA Air: pls post your award ticket/upgrade experience here

Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN

A similar thread is running in the BMI forum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...es-2012-a.html) and I thought it would be useful here. EVA are increasingly offering fares which don't offer mileage and there have been more reports of people being waitlisted when requesting redemption.

Once upon a time, I found that I had no problems getting a free ticket, even as Silver. Availability seemed to mirror that of paid-for fares. Over recent years, as Gold I found it more difficult. Now as Diamond things are easier again but still on one occasion an upgrade didn't clear immediately.

EVA have recently shortened the life of mileage to 3 years. So I thought it would be useful to share information here so that other FT'ers could make an informed decision about whether to accumulate miles and/or build status.

So please post:
1) Route and date of travel
2) Date of request and how made (eg at an office/online)
3) Class of free ticket requested or original booking class (for upgrade)
4) Evergreen Club status (if any)
5) Outcome
6) Any other information - what you were told, whether paid for tickets were still available when you were declined etc.

Might I suggest that other EVA chat be kept elsewhere so that this is a useful tool for people that are looking for this kind of information?

Thanks.

Last edited by jimbo99; Jan 6, 2012 at 8:57 pm
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Request
TPE - LHR 11JAN2012
03JAN in person at Vietnam/Hanoi office.
Request reservation Q Elite at same time as upgrade to Premium Laurel.
Diamond status.

Outcome
Both were waitlisted. Q Elite cleared within a few minutes. Upgrade cleared 2 hours later and they phoned me. Flight was full in all classes according to website, though later availability showed in PL.

Request
SGN - TPE 10JAN2012
04JAN in person at Vietnam/Hanoi office.
Request Q Elite upgrade to Premium Laurel.
Diamond status.

Outcome
Upgrade cleared about 1 hour later and they phoned me.

Note: I returned to have the ticket issued for both. Hanoi had already deducted mileage for the TPELHR upgrade. I thought it strange that they had done this despite the ticket not being issued or paid for. I wanted to use a Diamond voucher to upgrade. They insisted this was not possible without cancelling the ticket and probably losing it. I said that in that case they should have phoned me first to check how I wanted to upgrade first. Moreover in the past it has been no problem to hold an upgrade reservation a short while and didn't see why that had to immediately deduct the miles. I said that if they couldn't fix it, I'd ask Taiwan to sort it. I suggested that I pop out for a cup of tea to give them a chance to investigate. An hour later they had it fixed. Certainly London have credited back mileage and taken a voucher without cancelling.

The Hanoi office is friendly and very small. But they do struggle and have a tendency to give out bad information. Allow plenty of time when you deal with them. They will get there in there in the end and everyone is happy. Deal with SGN if you can. The woman who is usually on the Silver/Gold/Diamond/Business desk there is very experienced and knows the ropes.

Last edited by jimbo99; Jan 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: BR GOLD UA GOLD CX SILVER
Request
JFK-TPE 08MAR2012
05Mar Call my TA.
Request Q elite & upgrade to PL at same time.
Gold status.

Outcome
She offered to purchase L for $110 less and confirmed N available. Accepted. The ticked paid & issued next day on 3/6. Seat was assigned at smaller PL cabin aisle seat.

I used to buy Q ticket to get extra 10% mileage. My TA told me she would rather to pay less for L class. Took her word to book L and got N right away. I was wondering if there was any difference for waitlist priority if N can not clear at that time. I guess BR may process elite status 1st. Ticket fare class 2nd. Not sure...

I had experience that kept bothered by FA traffic if I seated at 2nd cabin. I then asked my TA to switch to front cabin on 3/6. She called and got me one window seat at front at same day.

There were around 5 empty PL seats available 60 hr out. I believe it should be more since BR always block row 6 and row 10.(12 seats) You never know exactly from the web map. On that 3/8 flight BR31, all PL front cabin was full. There were 2 or more pilot or BR senior staff at PL seats on board. March is usually slow season for NY-TPE route both for business & leisure travel though.

My past experience for upgrade request from Q class were always "waitlist" even I booked 1-2 months ago. Frankly, I always got those request clear 3-5 days before departure. I was lucky that I could confirm PL at the booking early this month because I booked ticket 3 days ago when BR began releasing those PL seats which they could not sell.

Last edited by EWRNJ1963; Mar 22, 2012 at 3:55 pm
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by EWRNJ1963
Request
I was wandering if there was any difference for waitlist priority if N can not clear at that time. I guess BR may process elite status 1st.
I think EVA will clear Gold member upgrade request by fare-class order, Y/M/Q/L. So Q-fare will clear before L-fare. One main difference is that L-class cannot be upgraded at check-in/gate, so if you are not cleared at -24hours, most likely you would not be upgraded.

Request
My past experience for upgrade request from Q class were always "waitlist" even I booked 1-2 months ago. Frankly, I always got those request clear 3-5 days before departure. I was lucky that I could confirm PL at the booking early this month because I booked ticket 3 days ago when BR began releasing those PL seats which they could not sell.
EVA released the Diamond 'guaranteed seat' at -72hours, I have seen Z-class inventory increased from 1 to 7 during this period.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
All the following are PE->PL as a Gold

SFO->TPE summer '10 upgraded shortly after online purchase
TPE>LAX 11/10 upgraded just after online purchase
LAX->TPE 3/11 waitlisted, cleared when I called back in for another reason.
no failures

I would note that the waitlisted ticket was cleared when I called. Implies one should call in every so often.

Will try for a at least one more soon and report back.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by asiadxer
I think EVA will clear Gold member upgrade request by fare-class order, Y/M/Q/L. So Q-fare will clear before L-fare. One main difference is that L-class cannot be upgraded at check-in/gate, so if you are not cleared at -24hours, most likely you would not be upgraded.

That was what I thought. Thanks for clarification.

EVA released the Diamond 'guaranteed seat' at -72hours, I have seen Z-class inventory increased from 1 to 7 during this period.
May I ask how to see the Z inventory if you don't mind...

Couple months ago, I tried to book Z class for 2 weeks out flight and found it not available. My TA told me to wait and made J reservation for me (not ticketed yet) and put me waitlist for Z at same time. Then after 3-4 days, TA called me back & told me Z was cleared and asked me to ticket. Looked like even TA had no clue when Z will be available... I guess my TA could had kept calling & push EVA to finally release Z for me. This was my way to save hundred bucks if I had some flexibility.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
May I ask how to see the Z inventory if you don't mind...
jimbo99 mentioned this a few years back, www.flightstats.com
You have to register, its free. Use flight availability feature, enter your origin and destination cities, date and time frame. Hover on the number of seats available for a particular class ie. Business, it will show you the number of seats available by fare-class, C/J/Z sometime N=0 if N-class has been reserved.

It may not be 100% accurate, but so far it has given me true indication of seat availability.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by asiadxer
jimbo99 mentioned this a few years back, www.flightstats.com
You have to register, its free. Use flight availability feature, enter your origin and destination cities, date and time frame. Hover on the number of seats available for a particular class ie. Business, it will show you the number of seats available by fare-class, C/J/Z sometime N=0 if N-class has been reserved.

It may not be 100% accurate, but so far it has given me true indication of seat availability.
Excellent info. This is what I am looking for. Thanks for sharing. ^
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately in recent times I've often found I can't see any BR flights so have given up on it.

I generally use EVA's site - searching for singles and/or award flights and seeing what comes up. All rather annoying, though at least EVA's site is faster than it used to be.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Nov 15, '12 LAX->TPE BR001 upgrade with miles PE->PL, Gold Card

This was an open return, when I called in to set the date was able to upgrade at the same time.

[I elscted not to try for an upgrade on the TPE->LAX flight as it was high season (extra miles) and I can hanlde the eastbound flight much easier anyway]
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Gold Card
BR15 on 3/25 LAX-TPE
V --> N
Result: Unsuccessful (already knew it was small chance knowing i am on a discount fare).

On the other hand they op-up a TPE-HKG flight right after, from econ to PE but it was on old old equipment, nevertheless, good gesture.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
Gold Card
BR15 on 3/25 LAX-TPE
V --> N
Result: Unsuccessful (already knew it was small chance knowing i am on a discount fare).

On the other hand they op-up a TPE-HKG flight right after, from econ to PE but it was on old old equipment, nevertheless, good gesture.
Evergreen Deluxe or Elite is sold as Economy on this sector, so you were not OP-UPed.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Request
28MAR LHRTPE V Elite ticket and upgrade to Premium Laurel
08APR TPELHR V Elite ticket and upgrade to Premium Laurel

Requested on FRI 23MAR 2012 (late) (via London travel agent)

Diamond status.

Outcome
Flight full both ways in Elite, but C Business available both ways at time of request. Diamond guarantee released V Elite availability in seconds whilst at travel agent. Phone call by agent to EVA/London failed to release upgrade. Then:

SAT 24MAR - outbound upgrade for 28MAR cleared
MON 26MAR - inbound upgrade for 08APR cleared

Notes
They were still selling both ways in C when I requested the ticket. C availability dried up on both flights within a day or so. At outbound check-in I was told PL was full, but there were two empty seats on LHR-BKK. (More on BKK-TPE.) I was the only Diamond in PL on LHR-BKK. Possibly one other on BKK-TPE. Annoyed I couldn't get a D/G LHRBKK and had to accept 6C. BKKTPE got 6D and 6G was empty. Mr 6A was gold and pre-booked his seat. So rule about keeping 6 for diamonds at least until check-in, is soft.

Used voucher outbound, airmiles inbound. I don't think this makes any difference.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:30 am

Recent HKG-TPE sector, no mileage accumulation economy class. During check in, they offered upgrade to P.E. "because economy was very full" and I said OK, expecting the old 747 combi with 10-15yr old seats.

At the boarding gate, my boarding pass was rejected by the machine, and they said I've been upgraded to PL. As I stepped into the aircraft, it was the B777's used for transpacific... I was pretty happy with the upgrade but the flight was almost too short to enjoy PL.

On another note, during the ~20 transpacific crossings I made in the last 2-3 yrs, was op-up'ed once from PE (either v or q, i forgot) to PL.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:15 pm

Btw, had a flight tpe-lax on V for 4/18... Reservation called me last week saying award upgrade to PL was available but unfortunately I had to change the flight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.