Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Reply

Old Nov 18, 18, 3:27 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Posts: 495
Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
Not according to some reports. See post #56 above.
Dont go there.

I posted screen shots before and dared someone on the forum to prove otherwise.

Again- the only guarantee that SAUA will clear is I-class.

Not Z. Z has always been total award/upgrade space BR uses for its own program. I is a subset of Z and that is what SAUA bucket comes from. While after it clears, it will become Z on boarding pass. It does not mean when Z is available SAUA will clear.

i have called BR, posted screen shot to show otherwise.

There are couple people here works for Trip+ website that sells SAUA upgrade and has been telling Z class availability guarantee SAUA upgrade on BR. Reality is total BS.
krispykrme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 18, 10:19 am
  #92  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,524
Originally Posted by princesakura View Post
BR 27, I available, Z not available, EF says yes, KVS says yes, SAUA not possible
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
Dont go there.
I posted screen shots before and dared someone on the forum to prove otherwise.
Again- the only guarantee that SAUA will clear is I-class.
Not Z. Z has always been total award/upgrade space BR uses for its own program. I is a subset of Z and that is what SAUA bucket comes from. While after it clears, it will become Z on boarding pass. It does not mean when Z is available SAUA will clear.


Sorry if I am fueling the confusion, but is @princesakura's post not the proof that you are looking for that i-class does not guarantee SAUA? He seems to think you need both i and z to guarantee it. And does it not prove that i is NOT a subset of z, otherwise how can i be available and not z?
escape4 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 18, 12:40 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA, AS
Posts: 975
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
Dont go there.

I posted screen shots before and dared someone on the forum to prove otherwise.

I looked all through this thread and could not locate the screenshots you posted. Could you point me to the post with your screenshots?

Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
Again- the only guarantee that SAUA will clear is I-class.

Not Z. Z has always been total award/upgrade space BR uses for its own program. I is a subset of Z and that is what SAUA bucket comes from. While after it clears, it will become Z on boarding pass. It does not mean when Z is available SAUA will clear.

i have called BR, posted screen shot to show otherwise.

There are couple people here works for Trip+ website that sells SAUA upgrade and has been telling Z class availability guarantee SAUA upgrade on BR. Reality is total BS.
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
The below post contradicts your assertion that I-Class guarantees SAUA will clear. I have seen some posts that say Z is required to book but it shows as I on the ticket.
It could be that EVA at some point changed the way SAUA works. What would be most helpul today is to know how it works now, not how it may have worked 2 years ago if that is different. Any recent data points of people checking both Z (through EVA) and I space and how this affected SAUA?

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
As stated, every time I have used SAUA there has not been I class availability.
skimthetrees is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 1:59 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: TPE LAS LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Posts: 4,359
Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
The below post contradicts your assertion that I-Class guarantees SAUA will clear. I have seen some posts that say Z is required to book but it shows as I on the ticket.
It could be that EVA at some point changed the way SAUA works. What would be most helpul today is to know how it works now, not how it may have worked 2 years ago if that is different. Any recent data points of people checking both Z (through EVA) and I space and how this affected SAUA?
I have successfully upgraded using SAUA probably 7-8 times over the last 2-3 years, most recently in September of this year (two months ago). Not once has there ever been I availability, because if there had been I availability I would have booked a straight award ticket (this is also the stated rationale for many other FT'ers, and is the reason we have so many data points on this issue).

Each time, I have called in to BR's Taipei office, confirmed Z availability, and SAUA has been successful.

In case more evidence is necessary, there are many reports from other FT'ers of successful SAUA despite I=0, with many of these FT'ers reporting Z>0. Additionally, as skimthetrees mentions above, at least one FT'er has reported being unable to upgrade when I>0 and Z=0. Here are links to some of these reports: posts [63] [64] [65] [70] [71] [72] [76] [77] in this thread and also post [118] from the UA-specific SAUA thread.
escape4 likes this.
gengar is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 2:53 am
  #95  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Posts: 495

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
I have successfully upgraded using SAUA probably 7-8 times over the last 2-3 years, most recently in September of this year (two months ago). Not once has there ever been I availability, because if there had been I availability I would have booked a straight award ticket (this is also the stated rationale for many other FT'ers, and is the reason we have so many data points on this issue).

Each time, I have called in to BR's Taipei office, confirmed Z availability, and SAUA has been successful.

In case more evidence is necessary, there are many reports from other FT'ers of successful SAUA despite I=0, with many of these FT'ers reporting Z>0. Additionally, as skimthetrees mentions above, at least one FT'er has reported being unable to upgrade when I>0 and Z=0. Here are links to some of these reports: posts [63] [64] [65] [70] [71] [72] [76] [77] in this thread and also post [118] from the UA-specific SAUA thread.
1. One of the success guy already admitted he didn’t check I inventory.

2. Expertflyer also classified I as SAUA and award bucket.

3. I posted the screen shots to show only I clears.


The only way to full Gurantee SAUA is I class.



Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 19, 18 at 4:28 am Reason: Some text redacted by moderator to comply with rule 12
krispykrme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:58 am
  #96  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post



1. One of the success guy already admitted he didn’t check I inventory.

2. Expertflyer also classified I as SAUA and award bucket.

3. I posted the screen shots to show only I clears.


The only way to full Gurantee SAUA is I class.



None of your screenshots show what you're claiming. You've shown a successful upgrade at I > 0, but your screenshot did not show if there was Z > 0. Nothing in your screenshots preclude the (very likely) possibility that when you successfully upgraded, there was Z inventory as well (which is why it cleared, not I).

Once again, it's necessary to show 3 things: a cleared upgrade, I > 0 AND Z = 0, you've never shown 3 to be true in any of your proof. This is just a simple matter of logic.

Finally, many posters have data points showing the reverse is true: a cleared upgrade, Z > 0 AND I = 0, which contradict your assertion. It's also pretty awful to accuse people of being from Trip+ website with no proof... Do I happen to work for Trip+ too?
Dave510 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 18, 1:42 am
  #97  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post


No it’s not.

Z won’t get you upgraded. BR reservation will not be able to tell u I class.

Only I-class will SAUA clear. You can only verify this via UA website or expertflyer.

No no other work around.
I booked two SAUA in the past two weeks successfully. In both cases I asked "is SAUA available?" and I was told "it might be, you need to confirm with UA" then I followed with "is that Z class you're seeing" and in both instances that was affirmative. I was successful in both cases where Z>0.

It's entirely possible that there is a subset of Z for SAUA since it seems like Z is the bucket for all upgrade awards (ILM and *A). However, I don't know if that's I, since the EVA ticketing agents themselves only look for Z. And it seems so far it doesn't matter since all the datapoints point to SAUA being successful if Z>0.
gpeso8 likes this.

Last edited by jamesl; Nov 26, 18 at 2:09 am Reason: clarity
jamesl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 18, 11:08 am
  #98  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Posts: 495
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
None of your screenshots show what you're claiming. You've shown a successful upgrade at I > 0, but your screenshot did not show if there was Z > 0. Nothing in your screenshots preclude the (very likely) possibility that when you successfully upgraded, there was Z inventory as well (which is why it cleared, not I).

Once again, it's necessary to show 3 things: a cleared upgrade, I > 0 AND Z = 0, you've never shown 3 to be true in any of your proof. This is just a simple matter of logic.

Finally, many posters have data points showing the reverse is true: a cleared upgrade, Z > 0 AND I = 0, which contradict your assertion. It's also pretty awful to accuse people of being from Trip+ website with no proof... Do I happen to work for Trip+ too?
Actually no. When I posted screen shot, I also posted BR call center agent which stated Z>3 and I was 0. And I didn’t get cleared on BR18/28 on 10/7. Resulting I had to take BR8 on 10/8 and go to office that Monday morning.

expertflyer isn’t wrong. Experflyer used to show Z until early this year. I am not sure why it was removed.

[Personal comment redacted by moderator] Because same thing happened last year and I was able to pull Z inventory in experflyer that showed Z was available and no I and my daughter didn’t get cleared.




Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 2, 18 at 12:10 am Reason: Mod edit
krispykrme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 18, 4:02 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA, AS
Posts: 975
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
Experflyer used to show Z until early this year. I am not sure why it was removed.
Pretty sure that's a no. ExpertFlyer has not shown Z for EVA since I have been checking for probably 3 years. Before that? I do not know but I do not recall seeing any reports of it.
skimthetrees is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 18, 7:15 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Posts: 495
Ok- I just spend another $100 to prove that Z doesn't means 100% upgradeable SAUA. With no I-class space, SAUA will fail.

Below is call I had with BR for 12/5 and 12/6 BR7 Z class space availability. EVA confirming Z>5 for BR 7 for 12/6/18- (its in Chinese)


Expertflyer shows no I- class available





SAUA Upgrade fail


So are we happy now?

Again- just because EVA has Z space available. Its not 100% for sure SAUA will clear.
My experience since BR joined Star is when I-class is available- SAUA will clear no matter what. Never failed.

Last edited by krispykrme; Dec 3, 18 at 6:18 am
krispykrme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 18, 7:29 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Posts: 495
I am pretty sure as departure time gets closer. I will become available.

My point has been simple- just becareful when transferring valuable points to UA miles. I- class is as sure as 100% SAUA will clear.

Z class may clear as "others" have stated. But in some cases. It just won't clear.

This happened to me back in Oct on Taiwanese government sponsored meeting. And I was just able to duplicate the same issue.
krispykrme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 18, 8:47 am
  #102  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA, AS
Posts: 975
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
I am pretty sure as departure time gets closer. I will become available.

My point has been simple- just becareful when transferring valuable points to UA miles. I- class is as sure as 100% SAUA will clear.

Z class may clear as "others" have stated. But in some cases. It just won't clear.

This happened to me back in Oct on Taiwanese government sponsored meeting. And I was just able to duplicate the same issue.
Thanks for taking the time to help the community. It sounds to me like there is some other code that EVA uses for SAUA that is different from I and Z and we have no visibility into it. Your point is well taken about being careful transferring miles to UA for SAUA on EVA. I do not have to transfer in but for those who do they should be aware of the possibility they may not be able to use those miles for EVA SAUA when they need to.
skimthetrees is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 2:59 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California
Programs: *G, SPG100, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 535
Does anyone have any data points regards to general availability of award tickets from US West coast to TPE? I used to be able to reliably find availabities within a 1 week window, but currently, according to expertflyer and few other searches using UA and AC there's basically next to zero from LAX thru the end of Feb and well into March. April is also completely unavailable. I know CNY is winding down but wasn't sure if BR has started to block availability on entire lanes?

Last edited by buylowsellhigh; Feb 13, 19 at 3:14 am
buylowsellhigh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 8:48 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,621
Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh View Post
Does anyone have any data points regards to general availability of award tickets from US West coast to TPE? I used to be able to reliably find availabities within a 1 week window, but currently, according to expertflyer and few other searches using UA and AC there's basically next to zero from LAX thru the end of Feb and well into March. April is also completely unavailable. I know CNY is winding down but wasn't sure if BR has started to block availability on entire lanes?
BR is currently revamping their reservations system to match the new fare family concept they are introducing and are not updating their fare buckets as often as they normally do. They still have yet to load the buckets for some flights in late-December 2019, which is not good.
hayzel7773 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 12:54 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California
Programs: *G, SPG100, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by hayzel7773 View Post
BR is currently revamping their reservations system to match the new fare family concept they are introducing and are not updating their fare buckets as often as they normally do. They still have yet to load the buckets for some flights in late-December 2019, which is not good.
Thank you for the info as well as the wiki on the upcoming changes, it is very helpful!

Does it look like Eva is releasing awards on their own FFP? These few months? My dilemma is that I need to choose between a PE or B ticket depending on which award bucket is available.
buylowsellhigh is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread