Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jhutcher87
I ran into the same issue. I called EVA and they confirmed Z availability on a TPE-JFK flight in November. I transferred 30K points from Chase UR to United and then used the UA SAUA tool to upgrade. Everything seemed OK and I got a confirmation e-mail - however, the points never deducted from my account and there was no upgrade certificate attached to the confirmation e-mail. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with UA who basically said they were aware of the issue and had a case open, but had no resolution. Guess I'll just cancel the EVA flight I booked and hope UA fixes the tool quickly...
The Air Canada upgrade tool is working - if you are doing a points transfer send them there and run the upgrade from the AC site.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The Air Canada upgrade tool is working - if you are doing a points transfer send them there and run the upgrade from the AC site.
I just did the AC upgrade but I still got the following error. I don't have enough miles in my account, nor have the AC member # on EVA flight. I don't recall I need either of these two conditions in the past. I also got the same issue from the United, everything confirmed but just no upgrade.
  • We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again. If the error reoccurs, call the Aeroplan.com website support centre at 1-800-361-5373 and mention error code 140.SAU.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Gold: SPG, HH AA Platinum, United Gold
Hi all,

After reading a few threads, seems like buying anything other than the cheapest PE fare is wasteful since you can't use *A miles to upgrade from PE to Business. I'm assuming you can only do that with EVA miles?

I'm new, trying to do the research, just seems crazy to me!

Last edited by blvr; May 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by blvr
Hi all,

After reading a few threads, seems like buying anything other than the cheapest PE fare is wasteful since you can't use *A miles to upgrade from PE to Business. I'm assuming you can only do that with EVA miles?

I'm new, trying to do the research, just seems crazy to me!
Yes, unfortunately, you can only upgrade to EVA business class with the highest PE K fare. I also wished they would allow more PE bucket fares, (i.e. L and T) for upgrade to business class with *A miles.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jazzhou
Yes, unfortunately, you can only upgrade to EVA business class with the highest PE K fare. I also wished they would allow more PE bucket fares, (i.e. L and T) for upgrade to business class with *A miles.
You can book inexpensive Y or B fares and upgrade into RL from coach - or a K fare from PY.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by bocastephen
You can book inexpensive Y or B fares and upgrade into RL from coach - or a K fare from PY.
Yes, we can book the cheaper Y or B fares to upgrade from economy class. I was just wishing the PY L or T fares could also be used. In case the upgrade doesn't clear, I'd still be in PY rather than Y.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jazzhou
Yes, we can book the cheaper Y or B fares to upgrade from economy class. I was just wishing the PY L or T fares could also be used. In case the upgrade doesn't clear, I'd still be in PY rather than Y.
The best strategy seems to be to check upgrade availability before you book and only book if there is upgrade availability so you know will not be sitting in Y.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Or, book Y through a travel agent, then try the *A upgrade. If no upgrade available, then change the ticket to a PE fare. Last Y fare I booked had no penalties for changing up to PE fares - check this with travel agent..
Dave510 likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by OSLJW
Or, book Y through a travel agent, then try the *A upgrade. If no upgrade available, then change the ticket to a PE fare. Last Y fare I booked had no penalties for changing up to PE fares - check this with travel agent..
As a travel agent I can tell you it depends on the fare rules - in most cases, there is a penalty to change or refund the ticket, and there is no allowance for a free upfare to PY as in some cases this results in a lower fare collected.

In our system we have 24-72 hours of flex time in which we can void a ticket regardless of the fare rules - so we can issue a ticket in Y or B, and if the upgrade fails, void it before midnight the following day or midnight the next Monday if issued Fri-Sun and then redo the ticket in PY.

Note that while WE are willing to do this for a customer, other travel agents may not, and online travel agents will not do this outside of their 24hr refund window for USA purchased tickets.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:13 pm

I have read this thread up to March 2019 and jumped here to ask a question, hoping a kind person can help me.

B fare is mentioned for upgrade from economy to biz. K fare is from PE to biz. I got it.

But the UA's mileageplus site states Y fare is also upgradable to biz. So Y is fine for the upgrade, isn't it? A route I am interested in, TYO-> TPE->SFO books in to Y and it's cheaper than B. I thought Y is pretty much the highest among all eco fare classes except for PE.

Please anyone help me with this. Thanks.

michaelmorio
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by michaelmorio
But the UA's mileageplus site states Y fare is also upgradable to biz. So Y is fine for the upgrade, isn't it?
Y/B is eligible for SAUA on all carriers. K is an extra eligible class for BR specifically.

Eligible fare classes are mentioned in the UA-specific SAUA on BR thread (perhaps these threads should just be combined): Steps to EVA upgrade w/ UnitedMiles
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by michaelmorio
I have read this thread up to March 2019 and jumped here to ask a question, hoping a kind person can help me.

B fare is mentioned for upgrade from economy to biz. K fare is from PE to biz. I got it.

But the UA's mileageplus site states Y fare is also upgradable to biz. So Y is fine for the upgrade, isn't it? A route I am interested in, TYO-> TPE->SFO books in to Y and it's cheaper than B. I thought Y is pretty much the highest among all eco fare classes except for PE.

Please anyone help me with this. Thanks.

michaelmorio
Be sure to check the fare basis... sometimes airlines book you into one class of service but issue the ticket with a different fare basis. I think this unlikely on BR but check. Where you see this most is on US domestic first class Y-up fares.. an economy fare basis that automatically upgrades you into First, they take the inventory from the first class upgrade bucket.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dkerr
Be sure to check the fare basis... sometimes airlines book you into one class of service but issue the ticket with a different fare basis. I think this unlikely on BR but check. Where you see this most is on US domestic first class Y-up fares.. an economy fare basis that automatically upgrades you into First, they take the inventory from the first class upgrade bucket.
AFAIK, the only way to check the fare class on the BR website is by looking at the fare basis.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
AFAIK, the only way to check the fare class on the BR website is by looking at the fare basis.
Or just have a TA handle the ticketing
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:14 pm

United's SAUA site is working again. Booked a SFO-TPE flight in Oct and was able to successfully upgrade both legs via United's SAUA site.

Let's just hope this strike ends soon...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.