Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:43 am

It makes sense that I class is "subset" of Z .
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by krispykrme
No.
You clearly have reading reading comprehension problems so I see no point in responding to your misguided commentary.

Except to note that you're the one who got this wrong above:

which class are you looking at for EF? It should be I class not Z.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir

No.

I class is the only class to check SAUA upgrade for BR using UA miles.

BR upgrade inventory is Z class. This includes EVA own mileage upgrade and electronic certificate. But it doesn’t make all of the Z inventory for SAUA upgrade. Those are I bucket (which is subset of Z). Thus there are cases where Z class is available but SAUA won’t clear.

I did a demo of this last year at a Chinese travel group on FB. EF showed Z only but no I. SAUA didn’t work.

No, this is definitely not correct IME. I have never once used SAUA on BR when I>0 - i.e., every time I have used SAUA on BR, it has been on a flight where Z>0 and I=0. The reason for this is that I only ever use SAUA for one-way tickets when straight award redemption is not available.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
No, this is definitely not correct IME. I have never once used SAUA on BR when I>0 - i.e., every time I have used SAUA on BR, it has been on a flight where Z>0 and I=0. The reason for this is that I only ever use SAUA for one-way tickets when straight award redemption is not available.
That was definitely my experience as well. Or at least I=0 for sure, had a friend check EF but we didn't know to look at Z. Rolled the dice on upgrade anyhow (where's the harm?) and it cleared instantly on a one way B fare.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
This has been exactly my experience and rationale as well. I only do SAUAs on one-way B fare when awards (I fares) are not available.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat

I am not sure how to make this even more clear.

Z class is BR J upgrade- this includes BR own mileage upgrade, BR own upgrade certificate. But not all of the Z bucket are allocated for SAUA (why would BR treat SAUA higher than its own passenger).

I class as is a subset of Z that is assigned to star alliance redemption (including upgrade). Both after clear will be Z even though it’s from I bucket.

I can't even find Z awards on EF.

Z is a separate class that rev. mgmt. updates once a day based on booking trends. However, those using SAUA have less priority then BR's own FF. Rev. mgmt. will clear the BR FF first before opening up more to SAUA. What is already out there is fair game.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Mar 26, 2018 at 12:22 am
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:49 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by princesakura
Yes, EF is reporting I class as "Yes". I also looked on KVS, which gives C+ for the same availability. I will try calling Aeroplan to see if they can manually process it.
Originally Posted by princesakura
Interesting... Some people have said SAUA availability is I and some have said Z, within this thread and others.
Aeroplan agent couldn't do anything to check availability. EVA agent said they can't see SAUA availablility and said Z was not available. Still not bookable via Aeroplan or Asiana. EF and KVS show I availability and CS+ respectively; in these circumstances, I could have easily upgraded via Aeroplan already. Not sure what's going on.
I class is the only class to check SAUA upgrade for BR using UA miles.

BR upgrade inventory is Z class. This includes EVA own mileage upgrade and electronic certificate. But it doesn’t make all of the Z inventory for SAUA upgrade. Those are I bucket (which is subset of Z). Thus there are cases where Z class is available but SAUA won’t clear.

I did a demo of this last year at a Chinese travel group on FB. EF showed Z only but no I. SAUA didn’t work.

If I class is available but Aeroplan can’t open the ticket online. Just call. Please make sure it’s per segment.
According to the information that we have, *A Upgrades on BR flights require I Class (AKA CS for KVS Tool Users), but are then ticketed in Z Class, which is causing a lot of confusion.

These details are also reflected in the BR section of the KVS Tool User Guide.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave510
This has been exactly my experience and rationale as well. I only do SAUAs on one-way B fare when awards (I fares) are not available.
I demoed this last year.

need to see if I kept the pictures.

i am 100% certain you need I.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir

I demoed this last year.

As stated, every time I have used SAUA there has not been I class availability.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
That was definitely my experience as well. Or at least I=0 for sure, had a friend check EF but we didn't know to look at Z. Rolled the dice on upgrade anyhow (where's the harm?) and it cleared instantly on a one way B fare.
Originally Posted by Dave510
Originally Posted by KVS
According to the information that we have, *A Upgrades on BR flights require I Class (AKA CS for KVS Tool Users), but are then ticketed in Z Class, which is causing a lot of confusion.
These details are also reflected in the BR section of the KVS Tool User Guide.
I demoed this last year.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Here is my hypothesis:
I've been trying to upgrade an SFO-TPE leg in the coming week using Aeroplan miles. There are three flights on the day: 17, 27, 7 departing at 0045, 0100, 1300 respectively. In the past two days, I've called EVA to change the flight from 17, to 27, to 7, trying to do SAUA at Aeroplan after each change. I also asked the EVA agent about availability of classes I and Z. Each flight had a different combination of factors, and it seemed enlightening to me:

BR 17, I not available, Z not available, EF says no, KVS says no, SAUA not possible

BR 27, I available, Z not available, EF says yes, KVS says yes, SAUA not possible

BR 7, I available, Z available, EF says yes, KVS says yes, SAUA possible

The circumstance of this particular day's BR 27 has never happened to me until this week. In the numerous times I've done SAUA on EVA flights from/to SFO, TPE, and CDG, if EF/KVS said yes, then SAUA was possible. Just based on this, it seems that both I and Z availability is required for SAUA. However, EF and KVS only show availability based on I. Now, I feel like I'll have to call EVA every time to confirm that Z is also available, before I try SAUA.

Hopefully others can use this and other comments in this thread as reference for their own SAUA experiences.
mxqisit likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:00 am

As stated, every time I have used SAUA there has not been I class availability.
X2.
That is why I go the upgrade route instead of mile redemption.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:42 pm

Just rolled the dice and ended up getting an SAUA:

September departure, October return, Aeroplan upgrade. YYZ-TPE-YYZ, both flights were I=0 and Z>1 (confirmed by BR agent).

So we're still no closer to figuring out the magic sauce.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by mxqisit

September departure, October return, Aeroplan upgrade. YYZ-TPE-YYZ, both flights were I=0 and Z>1 (confirmed by BR agent).

I do not know why you think it is magic. There is no magic. It is clear to me from reading this thread that the condition necessary for SAUA on BR is Z>0 which you had. In order to confirm Z availability you need to call BR. Neither KVS nor EF shows Z availability on BR so you need to call BR to confirm it.
gpeso8 and randywei like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by mxqisit

More data points are always helpful when there is stubborn resistance to existing data points.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I class as is a subset of Z that is assigned to star alliance redemption (including upgrade). Both after clear will be Z even though it’s from I bucket.
Not true. Tickets from I buckets clear into I; they do not clear into Z. Attached is proof; note the I denoted at the bottom right.

gengar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.