Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EVA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, BW Diamond Plus

was looking around but didnt find anything that answers this specific question.

Looking to book a LAX-> TPE RT ticket with EVA, i know that I need to purchase B fare ticket for upgrade.

I know that B upgrades to J, but when searching for award availability do i search for J or I? (with expert flyer)

Also to my understanding what i need to do is buy on eva B ticket, call united and upgrade, is that correct? Is there a better way to check availability for upgrade before buying the EVA ticket?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:23 pm

You need to search for I inventory when you want to upgrade using miles.
You are correct that you need to purchase the B fare first and then contact United to upgrade using your UA miles.
Use expterflyer to check for I inventory for the flight you want, and once you spot I>0, purchase your flight and upgrade immediately afterwards.
If I=0, don't purchase the ticket yet and keep checking until I becomes positive.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Is upgrade award availability and award ticket availability the same? Like if an upgrade for business is available then award should be too and vice versa?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by justmexp
Is upgrade award availability and award ticket availability the same? Like if an upgrade for business is available then award should be too and vice versa?
For the Star Alliance Upgrade Awards the inventory is the same. That's not necessarily the case if redeeming miles from the program which operates the flight.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Does the upgrade from economy using a star alliance mileage upgrade go into the elite class or royal class?

Thanks,
Warren

Originally Posted by justmexp
was looking around but didnt find anything that answers this specific question.

Looking to book a LAX-> TPE RT ticket with EVA, i know that I need to purchase B fare ticket for upgrade.

I know that B upgrades to J, but when searching for award availability do i search for J or I? (with expert flyer)

Also to my understanding what i need to do is buy on eva B ticket, call united and upgrade, is that correct? Is there a better way to check availability for upgrade before buying the EVA ticket?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

it goes directly to royal class
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
I'm trying to do the exact same thing right now. I understand either Y or B fares are upgradeable. Additionally, instead of calling United, you can try using this website-

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...rdUpgrade.aspx

Hope we aren't looking at the same flights.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks!

Thank you for the information

Originally Posted by ORDSteve
I'm trying to do the exact same thing right now. I understand either Y or B fares are upgradeable. Additionally, instead of calling United, you can try using this website-

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...rdUpgrade.aspx

Hope we aren't looking at the same flights.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:11 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Quick q -- I was looking to do the same thing (buy econ ticket on EVA and then upgrade with UA miles) but when I check ExpertFlyer for I inventory it's not listed (as in, "I" fare class is not listed, only C, J, D, K, etc.). Did other people not have luck with this, or does ExpertFlyer just not show upgrade inventory for EVA?

Thanks!
Adam
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:53 pm

I is the business award class, not a revenue bucket. Search for business class awards using your favorite tool (United, Aeroplan and ANA are all pretty solid for BR flights) and that should get you the data you need.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:33 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by sbm12
I is the business award class, not a revenue bucket. Search for business class awards using your favorite tool (United, Aeroplan and ANA are all pretty solid for BR flights) and that should get you the data you need.
Awesome...thanks!!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Are travel agents able to see I class inventory in their booking system? Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: United Plat
Upgraded with UA miles. The itinerary can only be credit to EVA?

Bought a BR B-class ticket and upgraded to Business Class with United miles. On EVA website, the reservation became Z class. This is what I found from EVA website:

Mileage accrual with cabin class upgrade(Booking Z/U class code)
The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applied to transfer to other partner airlines.

Does it mean once the reservation became Z class, EVA's Infinity MileageLands program is the only option I can credit the miles to?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Bought a BR B-class ticket and upgraded to Business Class with United miles. On EVA website, the reservation became Z class. This is what I found from EVA website:

Mileage accrual with cabin class upgrade(Booking Z/U class code)
The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applied to transfer to other partner airlines.

Does it mean once the reservation became Z class, EVA's Infinity MileageLands program is the only option I can credit the miles to?
EVA used to have this rule that if you want to use EVA miles to upgrade, you must credit to EVA. It almost seemed like an IT limitation to me.

Now that it is part of *A, I don't see how that rule can be applied to *A customers. I wonder if others are seeing their booking chaning to Z also, instead of I.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Are travel agents able to see I class inventory in their booking system? Thanks.
As a general rule, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.