Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
Hi there. I'm still having problems upgrading my BR B-class fare with UA miles. Flight is still showing business award availability.

I found another thread that indicated that someone tried doing this but it wouldn't work, so they cancelled the BR ticket and rebooked in BR Y-class, and then it went through.

Is it possible that UA is only upgrading BR Y-class tickets and not BR B-class tickets? Is that allowed?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
I cancelled my B-class ticket that was not upgrading with UA miles and booked a Y-class ticket. Same result.

I've tried calling UA many times - there must be something wrong with their systems. It seems like it is impossible to upgrade an EVA flight with UA miles right now (broken system). Anyone have recent success doing this?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
I is the business award class, not a revenue bucket. Search for business class awards using your favorite tool (United, Aeroplan and ANA are all pretty solid for BR flights) and that should get you the data you need.
I'm able to find 2 award tickets on an upcoming EVA flight on the UA website, but when I try to do an upgrade via the Star Alliance upgrade page on the UA website, it says that there are no available upgrades. On ExpertFlyer, I can't seem to see I class for the flight (C9 J9 D9 K9 L9 T9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 V9). Any ideas? Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by silent129
Any ideas?
EF is no longer able to show that data so I wouldn't use them for that.

It seems that something is broken in the UA systems. I don't know what or why and don't know how to get to the right answer but something is definitely busted.

Sorry.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
I've had exactly the same problem with Asiana club trying to upgrade from B class to business, see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...lub-miles.html

I guess this indicates that the issue is with BR rather than OZ (or in other cases UA).

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that award availability is "Z" class on BR rather than "I"
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EVA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, BW Diamond Plus
well i recently booked
Flight segment 1
Flight Information
.Flight Number BR11 / 777-300ER
.From LOS ANGELES Terminal B Apr./22/2014 16:50
.To TAIPEI (TAOYUAN) Terminal 2 Apr./23/2014 22:05
Flight Status CONFIRMED
Booking Class Royal Laurel Class/ I

and it still shows as I class award
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by justmexp
well i recently booked
Flight segment 1
Flight Information
.Flight Number BR11 / 777-300ER
.From LOS ANGELES Terminal B Apr./22/2014 16:50
.To TAIPEI (TAOYUAN) Terminal 2 Apr./23/2014 22:05
Flight Status CONFIRMED
Booking Class Royal Laurel Class/ I

and it still shows as I class award
Then I guess my guess was incorrect. Regardless, it seems BR is especially difficult to use *A upgrades on - whatever airline you're booking with.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Untrue, as I stated above. They both come from the I bucket.
I asked someone from EVA and was told that it is indeed Z class for upgrades, not I. I know in the Star Alliance world, Z is not a shared class.

I am guessing UA's GUI does something under the covers to look at and pull Z? If the agent did it on SHARES, would they be pulling from Z manually?

I wonder if Z runs out first or I runs out first? It almost sounds like I has more availability than Z which might or might not make sense.

Now, if someone goes the other way, would their upgrade on United book into I or R?

Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by username
I asked someone from EVA and was told that it is indeed Z class for upgrades, not I. I know in the Star Alliance world, Z is not a shared class.
Is that the code BR uses for their internal upgrades or for *A upgrades? I'm betting the former, not the latter.

Now, if someone goes the other way, would their upgrade on United book into I or R?
If using miles from a *A partner to upgrade on UA metal then the I bucket is the one which matters.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that the code BR uses for their internal upgrades or for *A upgrades? I'm betting the former, not the latter.
I specifically asked for STAR ALLIANCE and was told Z is the class. It also seems to be what the members here are reporting. So, maybe it is Z....

If anyone can look at both Z and I on EVA, I wonder if we can determine which one has more seats.

If I buy a ticket on UA and upgrade using GPU or Miles, what happens? I have only used GPU - I know it does not book into I when the upgrade clears but I can't remember what it books into. R?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I specifically asked for STAR ALLIANCE and was told Z is the class. It also seems to be what the members here are reporting. So, maybe it is Z....

If anyone can look at both Z and I on EVA, I wonder if we can determine which one has more seats.

If I buy a ticket on UA and upgrade using GPU or Miles, what happens? I have only used GPU - I know it does not book into I when the upgrade clears but I can't remember what it books into. R?
You need R/RN inventory for your instrument-supported upgrade to clear on UA.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
You need R/RN inventory for your instrument-supported upgrade to clear on UA.
That is what I thought. How about if someone buys a UA ticket and upgrades with *A miles? Does it go into R/RN or I?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:42 pm

So has anyone successfully upgrade a BR ticket with any *A partner points? I am thinking about doing this, and I am wondering if I should just make different plans. Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:05 pm

That is what I thought. How about if someone buys a UA ticket and upgrades with *A miles? Does it go into R/RN or I?
It goes into I.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Another failed attempt to upgrade

Similar result as others have reported. Booked AMS-BKK in Y class through EVA website. UA shows low-tier biz seat award availability (just 1 seat though). Tried to upgrade online and also by phone (UA *A desk) and both report no seats available. Frustrating system.

Update: Called EVA, was told seats were available for upgrade. Called UA *A desk and the kind agent informed me that EVA inventory isn't necessarily that for other airlines. As expected, EVA couldn't help me with the upgrade. Confirmed that there's no before-ticketing way to determine whether upgrade inventory exists; ticket must be purchased and upgrade requested through UA's *A upgrade webpage (or through *A desk by phone, which I was told uses the same webpage).

Last edited by FlytheTail; Apr 5, 2014 at 10:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.