Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kdinino
Just wanted to thank everyone for this thread. I dont fly INTL much at all but have a last minute biz trip to TPE and had a bunch of UA miles I was looking to spend. Bought the BR flight in B class on their site after looking at expertflyer for I class availability and then locked in my 2 upgrades online with the star alliance award link. $1200 all in + 60K miles to fly RT in biz class for the first time will be nice, especially since I'm 6' 5" and have troubling sleeping in regular airline seats. I'm on the ground in TPE for 48 hours so my jet lag should be awesome LOL
One of the first times I've seen someone make use of *A upgrades where it actually makes sense to do so. Good for you.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum; Marriott Rewards Gold; SPG Gold
Hi all,

Does anyone here have any idea how soon EVA opens up Z inventory?

Trying to upgrade myself for flights end Nov - early Dec and it seems none of the flights have Z available. I just don't know if it's due to the peak travel period (in which case I should just give up), or wait for T-28 or something.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
NEWBEY!!!! SEA-TPE-DPS upgrade help

Hi everyone I have a few questions as I am looking into flying on Eva SEA-TPE-DPS on February 16th.

1. I see "I" is available on Expert Flyer for an award upgrade however how would one purchase the correct ticket (If I am correct, it's B)?
2. Once I purchase my ticket I then apply for the upgrade using my United miles is that correct?
3. I see through Eva's website a one-way business SEA-TPE-DPS is 75k United miles, is that a better deal than purchasing a ticket and using miles to upgrade? Not sure what the ratio is.

Appreciate all the help I can get!!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mecheallekruger
1. I see "I" is available on Expert Flyer for an award upgrade however how would one purchase the correct ticket (If I am correct, it's B)
Y, B, or K. K is premium economy. That's what I'd suggest buying.

2. Once I purchase my ticket I then apply for the upgrade using my United miles is that correct?
Yes, the request is made online. The upgrade is only per segment. 30,000 miles SEA-TPE, 15,000 TPE-DPS.

3. I see through Eva's website a one-way business SEA-TPE-DPS is 75k United miles, is that a better deal than purchasing a ticket and using miles to upgrade? Not sure what the ratio is.
Actually, it's 90,000 United miles. Whether it's a better deal depends on whether you'd rather burn miles or cash.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Y, B, or K. K is premium economy. That's what I'd suggest buying.

Yes, the request is made online. The upgrade is only per segment. 30,000 miles SEA-TPE, 15,000 TPE-DPS.

Actually, it's 90,000 United miles. Whether it's a better deal depends on whether you'd rather burn miles or cash.
Why by K if you know the upgrade is available? Lowest price would be B. If upgrade was questionable then yes being guaranteed premium economy may be desired.

If you buy at the Eva air website you can see the specific fare class before paying so you know if it is upgradable.

Remember that upgrading a paid ticket you will earn miles for the flight (in paid ticket class) so that makes the cost of the upgrade less and will contribute to earning status.

DAK.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkerr
Why by K if you know the upgrade is available? Lowest price would be B. If upgrade was questionable then yes being guaranteed premium economy may be desired.
Because the upgrade doesn't always work. Read the thread.

Originally Posted by dkerr
Remember that upgrading a paid ticket you will earn miles for the flight (in paid ticket class) so that makes the cost of the upgrade less and will contribute to earning status.
Which is not meaningful for non-frequent travelers. A few thousand orphan miles have little value.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Because the upgrade doesn't always work. Read the thread.

Which is not meaningful for non-frequent travelers. A few thousand orphan miles have little value.
Then cancel the ticket within 24hrs if upgrade request fails and re-buy in K if you want premium economy. But no point in overpaying unnecessarily.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA AAdvantage, SWA
I think the "search for Award " feature in ExpertFlyer no longer works as intended. I looked up flights in ExpertFlyer from LAX to TPE in late May, 2018 a few days ago and found some (very few) that had "I" class. Tried to upgrade but United website told me no seats available. Refunded the ticket.

Called EVA and they told me that Z was the upgrade class, and I is a flight award ticket. They gave me the available dates for Z class (kind of a lot), with the caveat that they could not guarantee an upgrade using United miles. Booked two flights for me and wife on separate tickets so we could use separate miles. Upgraded on United's page and both upgrades cleared right away.*

My guess is that EVA has changed their class structure and ExpertFlyer hasn't caught up yet. There is no way that I can tell on ExpertFlyer to search Z class. If I put it in manually, it doesn't return anything (but will for other classes that I put in manually, e.g. C). If I search for individual flights, it shows me a bunch of classes but neither Z nor I. And I seem to remember searching for I a few times in the past, as recently as last May, performing a successful upgrade.

*Actually, the wife's went through right away. Mine had a problem, saying the number of people on the reservation was not the same as the number I was trying to upgrade...or something like that. Tried a couple times, both using Chrome as my browser, then switched to IE and my upgrade went right through.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Expert flyer definitely has a blind spot for EVA flights.

Just booked one today, it let me upgrade one leg (TPE-SFO) but not the other (SFO-TPE). Could not find which fare bucket was causing the discrepancy in Expert flyer, and neither I nor Z were listed as available (did not appear in the system)

I think the only way to test it out to really to book a ticket, and try applying it on the UA site. If you get it great. If not, you can choose to cancel within 24 hrs or roll the dice. Expert flyer remains a good tool to check current seat map.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by fearless2357
Expert flyer definitely has a blind spot for EVA flights.
Z is the upgrade inventory, and it is not displayed on EF.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:22 am

How upgraded BR flights post to MP?

This was discussed in earlier posts but I was still confused by what happens. Saw an earlier post from 2014 which confirms this, but later on other posts said they received no MP credit after applying upgrade.

I booked a B class on BR and it sucessfully upgraded my SFO-TPE RT itinerary. Now they display Z fares after the upgrades went through. On United's site, it says for BR issued tickets, Z fares do not earn award or PQM; however, I assume they should see the original booked fare was Full Fare Econ in B class.

Has someone who has flown on BR with SAUA applied confirmed what happens? Just saw conflicting posts and I am confused.

Last edited by fearless2357; Jan 14, 2019 at 12:35 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:59 am

This was discussed in earlier posts but I was still confused by what happens. Saw an earlier post from 2014 which confirms this, but later on other posts said they received no MP credit after applying upgrade.

I booked a B class on BR and it sucessfully upgraded my SFO-TPE RT itinerary. Now they display Z fares after the upgrades went through. On United's site, it says for BR issued tickets, Z fares do not earn award or PQM; however, I assume they should see the original booked fare was Full Fare Econ in B class.

Has someone who has flown on BR with SAUA applied confirmed what happens? Just saw conflicting posts and I am confused.
You get credit for the B fare ticket you originally purchased. You do not get the business class bonus.

DAK
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:38 pm

Just successfully upgraded myself and 2 family members using B fare + UA mileageplus star alliance upgrade on a SFO-TPE RT. Thought I would post how I did it successfully so others can do the same. Price was $1450 + 60k miles total for the RT itinerary for each person.

1. Call EVA and ask them about the "Upgrade" availability for the flight you want. They will say they can only confirm for their members and not Star Alliance upgrade, but I have found that it is the same every time I have tried. Agents have told me how many upgrade seats are available. Expertflyer does not have this info, but you can use it to see how empty the cabin is before you call.
2. Book a Y/B/K class fare on EVA. Cheapest fare is B, the only reason to book K (premium econ with wider seat) would be if you want to roll the dice on the upgrade and sit in premium econ as a fallback option. I like to split the reservations so you can upgrade each separately and also use different mileageplus accounts, although this is not needed if there are enough upgrade seats and miles in your account to upgrade multiple people. I am not sure if the system will return in error if you have two travelers, but only one seat is available. If you book separately, you can apply each upgrade individually and use different mileageplus accounts to fund the upgrades, versus having to do each segment for the entire set of persons in a reservation.
3. You can go ahead and apply directly on the UA site after this. You can upgrade one segment at a time, and even mix and match mileageplus accounts that way.
4. If you want to cancel within 24 hours, you can do it on EVA site and the miles redeposit within a few minutes.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Just successfully upgraded myself and 2 family members using B fare + UA mileageplus star alliance upgrade on a SFO-TPE RT. Thought I would post how I did it successfully so others can do the same. Price was $1450 + 60k miles total for the RT itinerary for each person.

1. Call EVA and ask them about the "Upgrade" availability for the flight you want. They will say they can only confirm for their members and not Star Alliance upgrade, but I have found that it is the same every time I have tried. Agents have told me how many upgrade seats are available. Expertflyer does not have this info, but you can use it to see how empty the cabin is before you call.
2. Book a Y/B/K class fare on EVA. Cheapest fare is B, the only reason to book K (premium econ with wider seat) would be if you want to roll the dice on the upgrade and sit in premium econ as a fallback option. I like to split the reservations so you can upgrade each separately and also use different mileageplus accounts, although this is not needed if there are enough upgrade seats and miles in your account to upgrade multiple people. I am not sure if the system will return in error if you have two travelers, but only one seat is available. If you book separately, you can apply each upgrade individually and use different mileageplus accounts to fund the upgrades, versus having to do each segment for the entire set of persons in a reservation.
3. You can go ahead and apply directly on the UA site after this. You can upgrade one segment at a time, and even mix and match mileageplus accounts that way.
4. If you want to cancel within 24 hours, you can do it on EVA site and the miles redeposit within a few minutes.
Hey there, thanks for sharing your success story but I do a a question from this. How many miles+$ is the upgrade through UA, because I just burned most of my miles on account for family flights and the tool won't let me search for upgrade because I have "insufficient mileage balance". I don't want to blindly transfer from Chase without knowing how many first. I'm trying to upgrade an LAX-TPE-ICN journey on EVA if possible for this summer. Thanks in advance for the response!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
How many miles+$ is the upgrade through UA, because I just burned most of my miles on account for family flights and the tool won't let me search for upgrade because I have "insufficient mileage balance". I don't want to blindly transfer from Chase without knowing how many first. I'm trying to upgrade an LAX-TPE-ICN journey on EVA if possible for this summer. Thanks in advance for the response!
If upgrading the LAX to TPE leg, it is 30k miles each way just for that segment. You can upgrade one or multiple legs at a time depending on current mileage balance available. Also you do not have to use UA miles, can be any Star Alliance carrier, and the cost can be different on a different carrier (i.e. Air Canada Aeroplan is only 25k to upgrade the same leg). I have not refreshed my memory on all the *A partners Chase transfers to, but I'll leave that to you. You should be able to call each carrier and ask how much it costs for the upgrade, or find the info on their website.

The main thing to note is call EVA air's US customer hotline, and ask them for upgrade availability. They will say they can only confirm for "their members" but each time I have called, if there is availability for their members, it is open for Star Alliance (although no guarantee). If there is no availability, it won't matter which Star Alliance miles you use to upgrade, so be sure to check that first...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.